Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1640 on: 11 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm »
Thanks Chris, looking forward to this:

and the other treats to of course ;) :thumb:
Marius

HI Chris,

Would you consider and be able to allow MM to have a less black interface? Often i find it very difficult to see the contrasting parts of the interface, and in certain lighting conditions, find the white on black to be rather fatiguing to the eye.
Somehow i hope you can have a lighter (grey even) background with darker letters, like print, as an option? Like in the folder bar on the left of MM. Far easier on the eye. For me that is (50+... needing reading glasses, having reading issues in darker conditions etc etc...)

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1641 on: 11 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm »
It's not a browser problem.  After about 10 minutes I can get part of the page to load. It's like my BDP is looping.  Is there still ssh access to BDPs or has that been disabled? 

Are the front panel buttons responsive?

RonCH

« Reply #1642 on: 11 Mar 2016, 12:49 pm »
Are the front panel buttons responsive?

they work.

MoPac

« Reply #1643 on: 11 Mar 2016, 04:32 pm »
BDP-2  S2.24 2016-02-08  Chrome

Chris: ( feature request )
 Put a new album in an existing playlist which adds it to the bottom of the playlist.  Tried moving the tracks to the alphabetically proper location, but the sequence numbers would not change reflecting it's new position.  Was going to use MPAD, but was too lazy to go downstairs. :|

When I opened the playlist in Wordpad the location of the new album was on the bottom indicating moving tracks in MM does not stick.  I was able to cut and paste the album in Wordpad to the proper location and save, which did work, but that is not user friendly.  Guess I could just write the path into Wordpad and skip using MM or MPAD.

Seems like it would be easier to move the tracks in MM and have the sequence number change based on the new location.  Even better would be the option to add using "Play Next".

I also attempted to re-order the playlists in alphabetical order in the right pane.  This does not stick either.

Thanks, Rich

Krutsch

« Reply #1644 on: 11 Mar 2016, 05:09 pm »
FYI, With the last set of Beta releases and the current, stable release, album art generation for the Artist View is broken (again).

This is on my FLAC/AAC/MP3 collection that used to reliably generate album art. Now, any album with a title containing non English characters fails to build thumbnails. Such as:

Album title: Liszt: Piano Sonata In B Minor, Funérailles, Etc.
Artist: CéU

... accent characters seem to be the problem, whether in the album title or in the artist name, as noted after rebuilding and reviewing my 15,000+ track library.

Using:

S2.22 2016-01-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Chris,

Any chance this is on the roadmap to be fixed? I've seen others respond that they are experiencing similar issues.

I can work-around most other issues with Manic Moose (like separating multi-disc albums, adding artists names to duplicate album titles, et al.), but this one would require me to rename thousands of files and folders (I have a lot of classical music).

Thanks.

Marius

« Reply #1645 on: 11 Mar 2016, 06:23 pm »
You can switch between stable and testing releases by using the update firmware functionality, although the I just released another testing build so if your running a testing build you can only go back to the stable or today's testing.

Thanks to Chris (kinda cryptic pm's ;-). ) I've got my Bdp making noise again !! Deselected /disabled squeezeslave, dlna and shairplay, and voila  :thumb:  :thumb:

Now to know which of those caused it and didn't release its service as it should have... We'll find out later. First some Ring..

Btw because my internet is down in the home network (which is working fine) I've found out I can't reach the bdp wirelessly. Which is unexpected since I'm connecting to an AirPlay express that gets its address from the same switch as the bdp. :scratch:

Wired things work out beautifully, resulting in succes for now.

Cheers, and have a great weekend all!

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1646 on: 11 Mar 2016, 07:13 pm »
Chris,

Any chance this is on the roadmap to be fixed? I've seen others respond that they are experiencing similar issues.

I can work-around most other issues with Manic Moose (like separating multi-disc albums, adding artists names to duplicate album titles, et al.), but this one would require me to rename thousands of files and folders (I have a lot of classical music).

Thanks.

Still trying to sort that one out, i've tried to reproduce this without success.  I've added accented character to existing stuff, new stuff, copied stuff; it all works.  The only thing i've come across to give me any grief are back ticks, key shared with tilda (~).  At this point I'm considering going back to scratch drive type system to store cover art in a "proprietary" method so that characters can't create any kind of havoc.  It won't help customers using mPad or other MPD clients, but atleast our web interface would be more solid.

Krutsch

« Reply #1647 on: 11 Mar 2016, 07:25 pm »
Still trying to sort that one out, i've tried to reproduce this without success.  I've added accented character to existing stuff, new stuff, copied stuff; it all works.  The only thing i've come across to give me any grief are back ticks, key shared with tilda (~).  At this point I'm considering going back to scratch drive type system to store cover art in a "proprietary" method so that characters can't create any kind of havoc.  It won't help customers using mPad or other MPD clients, but atleast our web interface would be more solid.

Some data points:

(1) This is a relatively new issue and may coincide with your change to how you are storing art work (i.e. I used to get thumbnails for all of my albums, but then sometime ago albums with accents and umlauts stopped processing).

(2) I am hosting my files on an external USB drive formatted on a Mac with FAT32; are you using FAT32 on your storage, as well?

(3) MPaD and MPDroid have none of these issues, but of course they are pulling the "Folder.jpg" file from the album folder, directly.

I can send you some example FLAC files, if that helps, zipped-up to include the complete file path. On my MacBook's Drobo (HFS+), an example file path that won't build thumbnails:

/Volumes/Drobo/My DLNA Music/Hi-Res DLNA/Classical Piano/Hélène Grimaud/Water (Live)/07-Jeux d'eau, M. 30.flac

On the bdp-1, the same folder shows question marks for these chars: é è and the thumbnails fail to build for all albums from Hélène Grimaud.

But, again, I can browse by folder via MPaD and everything appears as it should.

Thanks, again, for looking into this.

ishmael010

« Reply #1648 on: 11 Mar 2016, 09:57 pm »
Chris-
I emailed you on the results of the beta firmware on my bdp-2.  When ripping CDs, it wasn't adding any of the album information, no title, author, cover artwork, nothing.  I tried it with 5 different CDs, same results.  I didn't really have an opportunity to check whether the hardware-specific ripping buttons worked rather than the software, this kind of got in the way.  I reloaded the previous firmware from February, and the problem went away.  As I mentioned in the email, one problem that popped up was that on a couple albums, the software only ripped the first 3 songs, then the unit ejected the CD and ripping ceased.  I was able to reload and re-rip the CD and that read and ripped all the tracks the second time.  I don't know what the problem is, and hoped you might shed some light on it.

Regards,

Dane

Krutsch

« Reply #1649 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm »
It won't help customers using mPad or other MPD clients, but atleast our web interface would be more solid.

FWIW, I am not having any album art issues with either MPaD or MPDroid; however, I've been careful to place a Folder.jpg file into each album folder and configure the above apps to look for them.

Marius

« Reply #1650 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:33 pm »
Hi Chris,

Did you add the crossfade.jpg to librarydoctor scan yet?
Thanks,
Marius

HI Chris,

Can't send images on the private messages so please allow me to post here.
Could you program the library doctor to search and delete for all files MM previously created in our libraries: adding crossfade.jpg to the already searched files bdp_front_44.jpg and bdp_front_250.jpg.

I've found the bdp_front files in .png format too, the doctor apparently doesn't find these? If so, please add that?

Also, please have the doctor search per drive, since my first attempt to run it hangs, presumably because of library size/amount of found files to delete.

Making this available in Disk Information would be really nice.

Thanks in advance,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1651 on: 15 Mar 2016, 07:00 pm »
HI Chris,,

Finally got around to check this. I am afraid its not really what i was hoping to see, the invertion of the colour isn't as easy on the eye as anticipated, or even readable. Did you check it on your BDP's?

Sorry to say Chris, but if this is all you can put in for now, you might as well take it out again.

Cheers,
Marius

Thanks Chris, looking forward to this:

and the other treats to of course ;) :thumb:
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1652 on: 15 Mar 2016, 07:08 pm »
HI Chris,,

Finally got around to check this. I am afraid its not really what i was hoping to see, the invertion of the colour isn't as easy on the eye as anticipated, or even readable. Did you check it on your BDP's?

Sorry to say Chris, but if this is all you can put in for now, you might as well take it out again.

Cheers,
Marius

The show missing files and folders is difficult to read (which i don't use) but otherwise i have been using it non stop on my BDP-2.  Its a direct inversion of existing colour scheme.

Marius

« Reply #1653 on: 15 Mar 2016, 07:41 pm »
Yep, You're sure right not showing the missing files makes it a lot better.

Please let me re-post a question on the window-behavior of MM.

Whenever one clicks "back" the screen scrolls up just a bit too far, leaving those buttons only half in the picture. Can you adjust that? No need to scroll all the way up in the first place, secondly: Certainly not this far:

This would be much better:

Preferably even like this, having the command center in the picture all the time, scrolling only needed in the MM file/folder browser, not the safari-browser window:

Cheers,
Marius

The show missing files and folders is difficult to read (which i don't use) but otherwise i have been using it non stop on my BDP-2.  Its a direct inversion of existing colour scheme.

Krutsch

« Reply #1654 on: 15 Mar 2016, 09:30 pm »

Default View is ignoring the Disc Number tags in audio files.

For example: Album contains two discs (or albums), Disc 1 and Disc 2.

Disc 1
 Song 1-1
 Song 1-2
Disc 2
 Song 2-1
 Song 2-2

In the Artists View, this is displayed correctly and songs are added to the playback queue in the correct order.

In the Default View, songs are added by track index, ignoring the disc order:
Song 1-1
Song 2-1
Song 1-2
Song 2-2

Using:

S2.23 2016-02-04

Thanks.

EDIT: there is a corollary to this issue. With AAC tracks from iTunes, Manic Moose is mis-ordering albums with more than 9 tracks.

For example, Album has 12 tracks, ordered as followed in the Default View:

These tracks include track N of M and disc number tags, as well.

From what I can tell, this is limited to tracks that are AAC files from iTunes (my FLAC files don't do this, from what I can tell).

UPDATE: after some more testing, I've determined that the:

1, 10, 11, 2, 3 ... 9

...track ordering issue is ONLY for multi-disc albums, as described at the beginning of the quoted comment, regardless of encoder type (i.e. FLAC, AAC, MP3). I know at one time I was seeing this with a FLAC version of Grateful Dead's "American Beauty", with one disc and 10 tracks, but no more. Now, I only see this with multi-disc albums.

I went though my library and, to my surprise, out of 1,145 albums, 14,637 tracks, I only have 101 multi-disc albums.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1655 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:26 am »
Yes, this please! Especially with/for phone/tablet use!

Yep, You're sure right not showing the missing files makes it a lot better.

Please let me re-post a question on the window-behavior of MM.

Whenever one clicks "back" the screen scrolls up just a bit too far, leaving those buttons only half in the picture. Can you adjust that? No need to scroll all the way up in the first place, secondly: Certainly not this far:

This would be much better:

Preferably even like this, having the command center in the picture all the time, scrolling only needed in the MM file/folder browser, not the safari-browser window:

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1656 on: 16 Mar 2016, 08:31 am »
Grit is right, mobile this is even more of a topic/priority.

Of course, that is why i also asked earlier if you could move the command buttons down, to right atop of the file browser, and not all the way up, above the Album-art, in the mobile version MM

Thanks,
Marius
[size=78%]
Yes, this please! Especially with/for phone/tablet use!
[/size]

StigO

« Reply #1657 on: 17 Mar 2016, 06:04 pm »
Is it possible to get all of the albumart to download from Tidal?

Krutsch

« Reply #1658 on: 18 Mar 2016, 04:19 pm »
Hi Chris,

OK. I updated to this morning's BETA build:

S2.25 2016-03-17

and reset/rebuilt the Bryston DB.

The album art issue has both good and bad news:

Good News: The previous issue of albums with path names containing special characters appears to be resolved. That is, I can look at my classical titles and they are now displaying art work for the thumbnails in the Artiist View. Nice.

Bad News: a lot of other albums are now missing art work and I can't discern a pattern to indicate what might be happening. I am seeing FLAC and AAC albums missing art work, even though I can look at the file's meta data and, in most cases, there is definitely embedded art work.

Also, every folder has a Folder.jpg which does not appear to be displayed - ever. For example, looking at the attached image:

"Donovan's Greatest Hits" are FLAC files with embedded artwork and a matching Folder.jpg in the folder - displays black box;

"Storyteller [Audio Fidelity]" are FLAC files WITHOUT embedded artwork and WITH a Folder.jpg in the folder - displays Bryston artwork image;

I have verified that Folder is set as the default art work filename (I've had it set this way for a long time).

Maybe I can help more if you would share the algorithm used to process art work. With that information, I can go back into my library and see what's happening.

- Ken

Krutsch

« Reply #1659 on: 18 Mar 2016, 04:43 pm »
Follow-up to the above, looking at the new options in the media player:

I am not sure what behavior these options modify:

For example, IGNORE CASE AND TYPE, might allow lower case albums to sort within the same ordering, regardless of case. However, looking at the image below, this isn't what I've observed with either the Default View or the Artists View:

Additionally, Default Library Jump setting doesn't seem to affect the positioning of the media player, no matter which of the three settings I choose and after re-loading the browser. In all cases, jumping to the next track scrolls the entire media player to the bottom, hiding the transport controls above the browser top crease: