Upsampling question

Samoyed

Upsampling question
« on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:20 pm »
Today, I finally tried out upsampling on my cdt 8 and dac10 combo. Beginning around 96, the apparent width and depth of soundstage dramatically increased, though the music remains a lovely liquid sound. Is this the expected effect, or just the placebo effect?  Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Upsampling question
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:39 pm »
In the beginning of upsamplig era it was very expensive and was not so good as you mention, enjoy.

Samoyed

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:45 pm »
Thanks. So, you think I’m really hearing it?  It’s like 180 degrees or more of soundstage. You can hear singers breathe and pinpoint instruments front to back.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:21 pm »
Wow that great, what are the speaker you are using?

Samoyed

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:52 pm »
Kef r900.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:58 pm »
Interesting, thanks for inform.

Samoyed

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2018, 11:18 pm »
I dunno, bad whiskey?  Cheap wine?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2018, 03:16 am »
With this large sound stage could be interesting a dipole speaker as Maggie or an PAP 15'' + 8''FR DIY :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2018, 04:04 am »
My unproven belief upsampling with Delta-Sigma dac is that it partially corrects the sample wave. Like according to a Sony brochure I use to have somewhere, with DSD the sound 1-bit sample is perfect whereas the pcm sample is slightly distorted.
   I have used upsampling numerous times to correct recordings and I have the proof that it works. So that's why I believe that upsampling corrects the sample slightly with each pass, sorta behaves like a cleaner. Eventually with too much upsampling a recording will begin to sound sterile because the harmonics are being stripped from the sound sample. :smoke:

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2018, 05:55 am »
Whether it sounds good or not varies from recordings and sampling rates.  The nice thing about the real time upsampling is that you can play with different rate with the remote control. I should add that this is more of a fun thing to play. We don't think upsampling adds anything other than changing the listening effect.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2018, 06:21 am »
My unproven belief upsampling with Delta-Sigma dac is that it partially corrects the sample wave. Like according to a Sony brochure I use to have somewhere, with DSD the sound 1-bit sample is perfect whereas the pcm sample is slightly distorted.
   I have used upsampling numerous times to correct recordings and I have the proof that it works. So that's why I believe that upsampling corrects the sample slightly with each pass, sorta behaves like a cleaner. Eventually with too much upsampling a recording will begin to sound sterile because the harmonics are being stripped from the sound sample. :smoke:
Eventually with too much upsampling a recording will begin to sound sterile because the harmonics are being stripped from the sound sample.
Thanks for inform Mag, this is very important somewhat similar to oversampling vs non oversampling DACs. Audio must be simple why sound better :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2018, 09:59 am »
Eventually with too much upsampling a recording will begin to sound sterile because the harmonics are being stripped from the sound sample.
Thanks for inform Mag, this is very important somewhat similar to oversampling vs non oversampling DACs. Audio must be simple why sound better :thumb:

Not sure what you are saying. I can play for example uncompressed pcm from blu ray, upsample thru dac 48/192 then upsampled again thru dac 48/96, I know the output is going to sound better than the input.

But let's say a pcm signal has been oversampled 8 times, that's as good as the output is going to get. Additional upsampling will actually degrade the signal. So IME there is a limited to how much you can upsample, before it begins to sound worse, but this can vary depending on how good a recording is to start with. Upsampling can also repair a distorted recording.

Samoyed

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2018, 01:50 pm »
I didn’t exceed 96. I as very surprised and pleasantly surprised.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2018, 04:08 pm »
Not sure what you are saying.
Excuse me I was referring to laser transports (oversampling vs non oversampling).