RMAF?

R Swerdlow

Re: RMAF?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2011, 08:26 pm »
… I personally am ordering the ST's without the RAAL…

James

Congrats on your ST purchase!  I'm confident you'll love them.

We met at the CAF in July, and you had asked to hear my STs.  I see you were able to make your mind without that :D.

I've heard STs driven by many different amps including AVA Ultravalve, Insight 260, & FetValve 550s, but not the new 400R.  In my opinion the STs sounded good with any of those amps.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm »

So what are the Songtowers sitting on ? Something we should know aboout ?

pansixt

« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:24 am »
We met at the CAF in July, and you had asked to hear my STs.

Rich,
Sorry for the delay, and thank you again, for that gracious offer.
I had some health issues that precluded my accepting your kindness, and your offer
to preview the Salk ST's, in your home.
I hope that there may be a Mid Atlantic AC Group meeting soon, so that we can
compare the sound.

James

R Swerdlow

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2011, 02:44 pm »
Rich,
Sorry for the delay, and thank you again, for that gracious offer.
I had some health issues that precluded my accepting your kindness, and your offer
to preview the Salk ST's, in your home.
I hope that there may be a Mid Atlantic AC Group meeting soon, so that we can
compare the sound.

James

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and hope you're on the mend.  If getting SongTowers has a beneficial effect on one's health, we'd all love to hear about it first here!  That would take the placebo effect to a new and different level.  4 out of 5 medical experts agree "take 2 aspirin, listen to SongTowers, and call me in the morning"  :green:

A Mid Atlantic AC group meeting sounds interesting.  Keep me posted.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:27 pm »
As a proud owner of Ht3s,and having been talking to Jim on finishes for a pair of Soundscapes 10s for several weeks, I decided to make a pilgrimage to RMAF. What an experience.

Upon arriving, I immediately rode up to the eleventh floor, directly into the exquisite Salk suite.As Jim and I were in the middle of a pleasant conversion, it happened.  Even from where we were standing,off to the side kitchen nook of the room,it was immediately apparent that the Soundscapes were everything and more.

The music was instantly engaging and I felt completely immersed in the performance.  The speakers disappeared in the room effortlessly.  Pinpoint imaging and distinct separation of individual instruments.  One of the most critical elements - Tonal balance is exceptional - with full body and ambience of each respective instrument.  Dynamics - attack was stellar. Seamless integration top to bottom. To say I was stunned would be an understatement.

Song after song, the Soundscapes removed the veil around the music to reveal it's essence.  Jim and Dennis had outdone themselves! I was speechless!

Jim then showed me the engineering behind the sound.  A knock on the bass cabinet clearly demonstrated the lack of resonance with the 2inch thick cabinets. The baffle options certainly add the flexibility in tayloring and enhancing the musical experience.  The opposing passive drivers providing tight precise  bass response.

Jim's stream player is a perfect media option.  The iPad interface option is a nice feature to manage all your music.  We had been listening to it all day and combo with the Soundscapes impeccable.  There were a lot of turntable front ends and the stream held it's own.

After having been blown away, I decided to spend the rest of the day on a speaker quest - to see just how others attempted to pull off the ultimate in sonic reproduction.  Room after room, price no object, nothing else moved me.  Wilson Sophias, kef $47k, Sonis Faber $45k,on and on. Only the Vanderstein 7 at $50k and backed by $50k in audio research and also in another room with $$$ aesthetix were in the same league.

after visiting some of the other stellar small companies that I own equipment from Galibrier, Zyx, Doshi, I felt what better way to end my only day at the fest than to be treated once more to the sounds of Salk.

Thank you Jim and Mary for the great experience. I will savor the day that Soundscapes grace my humble home.

All the best
Tom

JEaton

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:01 am »
Question: Who makes the rack that was in the Soundscape room at RMAF?

fsimms

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2011, 01:29 am »
I am glad I got a chance to meet you before you flew away.  The Vandersteen 7s are very sweet.  They were the only speakers at the show that would be capable of replacing my SoundScapes.   If they were the same price it would be a tough decision.   At four times the price, the decision is not too hard!   :wink:

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:05 am »
I really liked the Vandy 7's at the last RMAF I attended.  And I think Nuance was also very favorably impressed.  I would love to get the SoundScapes and the the Vandy's inthe same room and compare carefully. 

WGH

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:29 am »
I really liked the Vandy 7's at the last RMAF I attended.  And I think Nuance was also very favorably impressed.  I would love to get the SoundScapes and the the Vandy's inthe same room and compare carefully.

Or listen to the SoundScapes driven by $132,800 of ARC electronics plus other stuff like the Model 7's were last year. I'm not saying Van Alstine electronics are chopped liver but...

There has to be a curious Model 7 owner out there somewhere.

Wayne (a happy AVA owner)

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2011, 05:17 am »
Bob,  great meeting you as well.  I spent the next three days up in the mountains. I still can't thank you enough for your in depth reviews of the Soundscapes.  And finally hearing them was an ethereal experience.   

Bob, Dennis and Wayne

I also wanted to hear the Vanderstein 7s with the same equipment and source material.  They were playing a classical piece with phenomenal dynamics in the Audio Research room and some smooth layered jazz guitar work in the Aesthetix room.  Both rooms were spare no expense.  From what I had heard the Salk's would have held their own quite favorably. An incredible accomplishment.

A side by side critical listening experience on either of those two systems would have been interesting

My own experience with my HT3s. -any upgrade immediately shows even more how dynamic and refined the speakers are.  Jim had great results with the Van Alstine gear which performed beautifully at fractions of the other systems prices - I was very impressed.

fsimms

« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2011, 07:54 am »
Or listen to the SoundScapes driven by $132,800 of ARC electronics plus other stuff like the Model 7's were last year.

Both speakers seem so damned transparent that separating sonic differences between speaker and room/electronics/source is probably more in the realm of faith than science. 

Bob

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm »
Question: Who makes the rack that was in the Soundscape room at RMAF?

That was a rack we built for audio shows.  It breaks down for easy transportation.

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #32 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:06 pm »
The equipment rack at the other end, used with the Songtowers, was the lowest price Sanus rack available.  List price is probably under $150 and worked just fine.

One further note, both systems used all Bluejeans cables, both interconnects and speaker wires.  I bought a double set for two complete systems from them for the show, cost, about $450.00.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:10 pm »

Yes sir.  They are simply amazing. I'd like to hear the 7's and SS's in the same room being driven by lower priced gear, though.  When the front end costs more than a $45,000 pair of speakers, well...

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #34 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:35 pm »
I'd actually like to hear both speakers on the cost no object equipment
in their glorious splendor

the Salk HT3s  I have enhanced every  upgrade in my system - showing just how incredible they are.

So I can't imagine running ARC Ref material and a high end turntable on the front end for the comparison of the Vandy 7 and Soundscape.

pansixt

Re: RMAF? Jazz Variants
« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm »
In Denver, Jim had this track that he called the Laugh Track because when he played it with the SoundScapes at VOLUME, people would just look at each other and laugh. It was that dynamic.
He also said that at the California show people literally ran down the hall to see what it was that they were hearing.

The tracks title on his server is Jazz Variants.

Jim, I researched it and that track is the last segment of a song titled Jazz Variants by The O-Zone Percussion Group from their La Bamba album.

I downloaded the complete track, and it is awesome. It will shake the place.
Thanks Jim.

James

Edit:
I should have mentioned the fact that at both the California show and RMAF,
it was the AVA Gear that ensured the aforementioned tune to be reproduced so faithfully by the Scapes. And at RMAF it was the newest in the AVA line.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #36 on: 30 Oct 2011, 12:18 am »
Actually the Salk speakers at RMAF were being driven by cost is no object electronics.

its just that AVA equipment simply does not cost all that much.

Don't confuse misplaced decimal points in the equipment price sheet with musical quality. :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Saturn94

Re: RMAF? Jazz Variants
« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:07 am »
In Denver, Jim had this track that he called the Laugh Track because when he played it with the SoundScapes at VOLUME, people would just look at each other and laugh. It was that dynamic.
He also said that at the California show people literally ran down the hall to see what it was that they were hearing.

The tracks title on his server is Jazz Variants.

Jim, I researched it and that track is the last segment of a song titled Jazz Variants by The O-Zone Percussion Group from their La Bamba album.

I downloaded the complete track, and it is awesome. It will shake the place.
Thanks Jim.

James

Edit:
I should have mentioned the fact that at both the California show and RMAF,
it was the AVA Gear that ensured the aforementioned tune to be reproduced so faithfully by the Scapes. And at RMAF it was the newest in the AVA line.

I checked out that CD on Amazon and liked the samples, so I think I'll order it.  Thanks. :thumb:

fsimms

« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:21 pm »
Doug Schroeder at Dagogo posted his impressions of the Salk/Ava room.  He said he is working on a full review of a pair of SoundScape 10s!

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=944

Bob

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #39 on: 2 Nov 2011, 08:24 pm »
Doug goes on to say

Individuals who like the more mellow sound of Vandersteen speakers may want to have a listen to Salk’s offerings along with Van Alstine; do not be put off by the ceramic mid and ribbon tweeter, as in the Soundscape 12 these were delicate without harshness.

The last thing I think about Jim's speakers is 'more mellow'
Having a warmth and body around the instruments with natural tonality would be my description
Dependant on the source material  - jarring music is going to sound jarring, a cello is going to sound warm with nice overtones

the lower end Vandersteins (model 1 & 2s) do have a "mellow masking" tone to them
the V5's and V7's are a different matter  as are the Salks

will look forward to the full Soundsape review