RMAF?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
RMAF?
« on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:19 pm »
Hi   I'm just trying to decide whether I should spend money I don't have on a ticket to Denver for the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.  Is anyone else Denver-bound to hear the SS12's?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: RMAF?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2011, 08:03 pm »
Hi   I'm just trying to decide whether I should spend money I don't have on a ticket to Denver for the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.  Is anyone else Denver-bound to hear the SS12's?

Probably not.  :-(

I am scheduled to have knee surgery on October 7th and I don't think I want to deal with long plane rides and walking all over hotels a week later.

George
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm by zybar »

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2011, 08:32 pm »
Is anyone else Denver-bound to hear the SS12's?

I am going to Denver. Just got my plane reservations today.  I am going to Denver to hear the competition since I already have SoundScapes.   :icon_lol:

Dennis, I hope you go.

Bob

Isaac.

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2011, 09:06 pm »
I plan on being there since I live in Denver--probably Saturday.  Would love to meet up with some fellow Salk board members.

As for the SS12s, I can hardly contain myself as I got word from Jim that my SS12s will likely ship later this week!  I do look forward to hearing the RMAF 12s in a different room/different electronics though.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:18 am »
I'll be there Friday and Saturday. I can ask Jim if he likes working with mesquite.

Wayne

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:36 am »
I'll be there Friday and Saturday. I can ask Jim if he likes working with mesquite.

Wayne
Wayne:
  Better ask him if he likes working with MONEY!!!. That will get his attention PRONTO!!!

Cheers
                                             Charlie

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:38 am »
Wayne:
  Better ask him if he likes working with MONEY!!!. That will get his attention PRONTO!!!

Cheers
                                             Charlie

He already has my money.  :)

shawbros3

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:03 am »
Which Salk speakers will be playing at this year's RMAF?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:24 am »

I checked to see if I could arrange a last min. :x
 trip      :)    It looks like most of the hotels are sold out :icon_twisted:?

Any recomendations on where to stay?????

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2011, 06:28 pm »
Which Salk speakers will be playing at this year's RMAF?

A final decision has not been made.  But it looks like SoundScape 12's and SongTower "RT's" will most likely be in room 1107.

- Jim

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:14 am »
Just booked a flight

Been conversing with Jim on the soundscapes
And in a quandary on wood selection

I have ht3s. As for the soundscapes - The opportunity to  hear them first is ideal

Also a good excuse to head off to the mountains

bryede

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:31 am »
I'll be there! Will there be doctors standing by to remove a kidney in case I accidentally hear the SoundScapes?

:lol: :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2011, 01:06 pm »
You fellas are in for a real treat!  Those SoundScapes are superb, especially when considering their asking price. 

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 03:12 pm »
I am sitting across the street from RMAF staring at the light dusting of snow on Mt Evans contemplating that in a few short hours I will be catching up with Jim and hearing the Soundscapes

My HT3s are sitting at home fearful that they get relegated to the home theatre room

Can't wait

fsimms

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2011, 12:49 am »
Show is over. I am sitting at the show hotel waiting for tomorrow to fly back home.  I had a great time.  Jim had the stuff souding good in his room.  See everybody tomorrow night!

Bob

pardales

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:33 pm »
Any pics or more feedback about the SALK/AVA room?

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm »

trebejo

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm »
If it wasn't b-a-d-a-s-s enough, with that mood lighting, oh boy!

Congrats, gentlemen, wish I'd been there to hear and see it.

fsimms

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:16 pm »
Any pics or more feedback about the SALK/AVA room?

I see you have only gotten one reply to your request so I will add a few comments to my previous post.  First let me say that shows usually aren’t the best place to hear a speaker as the room conditions can be bad.  That said, I did hear many more systems sound good than at the RMAF 2008. 

With the extra complication of the back ambiance wave from the SoundScapes, I was worried what I might hear.  Although the sound wasn’t what they were capable of, I thought they sounded good.  They were less warm than what I have at home.  I am not sure why?  I could tell that there was an increase in dynamic range.  That was probably due to the increased efficiency of the 12s vs. my 10s and the increased horsepower of Frank’s amp.  Jim had some stuffing in the midrange tunnel but it was less than I use.  The clarity improves as you increase stuffing and the open baffle bloom reduces.

I thought the SongTowers sounded fantastic with the UltraValve.  That is a good combo.  The RAAL on the SongTowers was spectacular.  For the price, I wasn’t a fan of the LCY on the SongTowers, but the RAAL is so good that it is worth it, even though there is an increase in clarity as the frequencies rise.

In spite of the great sounds at the show, nothing moved me to tears like firing up my SoundScapes and watching the XFactor show I recorded Sunday on my DVR.

Bob

pansixt

« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:03 am »
Bob-- I agree about the SongTowers and the Ultravalve being a killer combo.
I personally am ordering the ST's without the RAAL, as we spoke about after dinner.
They definitely are amazing with the Scapes.

Wayne-- Great shots of the gear. I did miss hearing the ST's with the 400R. I don't believe it was running at the time of your pic either.

Can anyone report on that combo?

James