Song Towers Look Out of Place

Magnatest

Song Towers Look Out of Place
« on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm »
  Can anyone tell me where these should be placed?

Yesterday,  I drove to Salk Sound to pick up a pair of speakers. While walking through the shop, I spotted this pair. According to Jim, they're almost done with the sealer session and will be ready for top coat very soon.

This photo will give you a better idea of what the finish will look like after top coat.

They'll find their home soon.

Gregg

Big Red Machine

Re: Song Towers Look Out of Place
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm »
Tease!

robcentola

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm »
In my living room! Those are mine! Jim sent me an email saying you took a shot! Wow, it's like looking at a sonogram of an expected baby! Sweet! Looks like they're going to be beautiful!

Thank you so much!

robcentola

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:26 pm »
I'm not going to get any work done today. I'll be staring at my speakers all day..........

I need to name them.

Magnatest

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:30 pm »
  Someone else might appreciate seeing these.

Gregg

robcentola

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm »
Wow.

SCompRacer

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:08 pm »

This photo will give you a better idea of what the finish will look like after top coat.

Beautiful! The Salk experience is a good one. Second to none individual looks and sound fantastic! I stare at mine too....lol 

Congrats on your new speakers Gregg! Rob has to be anxious!

Magnatest

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:15 pm »
Thanks. I'll post photos of my 8's when I get them unpacked. We just go them moved out of the SUV and into the house.

SCompRacer

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:27 pm »
Are these yours?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:49 pm »
  Someone else might appreciate seeing these.

Gregg
Those are sure purty.  Are those on blocks?  I'm helping a bud arrange some larger ADC floorstanders in his room and plan to test with four 4" square wooden blocks per speaker.  Plan to damp their baffles around the tweeters with what I custom make commercially, too:  www.diffractionbegone.com/ 

robcentola

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:57 pm »
Are these yours?

My babies are the first ones. The "fiddleback" walnut ST's.  It's hard to believe that's "standard"!

Yes, I am anxious, but so damn excited. Normally, with anything, I take a lot of time deciding on anything aesthetic and I figured finding a finish would be a daunting task, but it didn't take long at all. I spoke with Jim on the phone when this all started and he said there was enough of that veneer and it was one of the nicest he's seen in years. Sold. Now that I have a glimpse of the product, I see I made the right choice.

Soon I will hear the right choice.

SCompRacer

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2013, 04:05 pm »
Your choice is beautiful!

My bad, I should have inserted Gregg's name asking if the SS8's in progress were his. There were some ST's to the left but I don't have a shot of them.

robcentola

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2013, 04:22 pm »
I'd be dizzy walking around that shop.

Lebreeze

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:18 pm »
  Can anyone tell me where these should be placed?

Yesterday,  I drove to Salk Sound to pick up a pair of speakers. While walking through the shop, I spotted this pair. According to Jim, they're almost done with the sealer session and will be ready for top coat very soon.

They'll find their home soon.

Gregg

Wow those looks awesome! Did you happen to see my speakers? They are ST's also but in Mexican Ziricote.
I've  been on stage 4 for awhile now.  I am getting anxious, I'm  really not sure what they are going to look like.  I picked the veneer off of certainlywood.com a few months ago. It feels like a blind date lol. Hoping for
 :thumb:

Magnatest

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2013, 01:09 am »
I don't think those are mine. Here are a couple photos of mine.

The grills look better than they appear in the photos, but we have 2 other samples of brown grill cloth that we're looking at.

I haven't had time to do much listening. Hopefully that will change tomorrow.

Gregg

OgOgilby

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2013, 02:04 am »
Congrats Gregg! Love the veneer with the brown grill cloth  :thumb:

-Greg

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:48 am »
An old AV123 member!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:51 am »
I don't think those are mine. Here are a couple photos of mine.
  The grills look better than they appear in the photos, but we have 2 other samples of brown grill cloth that we're looking at.

I haven't had time to do much listening. Hopefully that will change tomorrow.

Gregg

The speakers look great.   But how do you keep the carpet so clean?  You obviously don't own Golden Rerievers. 

SCompRacer

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2013, 05:32 am »
Those are beauts Gregg!

Magnatest

« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2013, 01:17 pm »
  Thanks to all. It's a special experience buying custom speakers to fit my needs. Jim and Mary are a great team and go that extra mile to make it special. Jim said they would be complete Friday afternoon and we were suppose to get several inches of snow. So, I drove to pick them up. It was nice to be able to meet the team in the shop. Major kudos to those guys!

Greg, I'll probably be giving you a call after having some time to listen to them. I've got some questions about the back grill. I much prefer the brown grills to black. We have samples of 2 other browns that we're still considering. All 3 look good, depending on lighting.

So far they sound fantastic after being placed about where the old speakers were; REF3's. Yes Pete. I'm an old AV123 member. It was at Terry's GTG in Wisconsin that I was convinced that I wanted a pair of Jim's speakers. At that time, I wasn't considering buying speakers.

Terry ( TJHUB ) - A big thank you for introducing me to Salk speakers. Having listened to your HT2-TL's for an hour and then experiencing the other models at your GTG convinced me that I wanted Salk speakers. I was impressed how Brandon's SongTower RT's sounded in such a large room. Your HT2-TL's are just outstanding and a clear step up. You have the full package when you throw your subs into the mix. After hearing the SoundScape 10's and knowing I wouldn't have subs in my 2-channel setup, I convinced myself that I NEEDED SoundScape 8's. Funny, I just went to your home to buy a subwoofer and now I'm streaming audio from a music server, have found inexpensive good interconnects and speaker cables, have purchased Odyssey Khartagos and Salk SoundScape 8's. It's a good thing we don't live near each other.

Dennis - Thanks. That's new carpet. One thing leads to another. We hadn't planned on new carpet in the living room. Everything was moved out to paint and it made sense to do it. That, coupled with the fact that I didn't want to dismantle my setup again and move the SoundScapes.

Since Jim didn't have a chance to photograph them, I'll post some more photos in the members galleries/pictures thread.

Gregg