Peter's smokey silver, birds eye maple SoundScape 8's

fsimms

Re: Peter's smokey silver, birds eye maple SoundScape 8's
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2012, 07:13 am »
I am having a bit of trouble with perceived brightness.  I'm sure it is my ears, which are unfortunately sensitive.  I seem to have some hyperacusis.  I was hoping the RAAL would be an answer to this with its reputation of being more laid back, but I don't think it is.  Reducing or eliminating toe in helps.  Room treatment I'm sure will help more.  And working with electronics can still help.  Actually, part of my preference for the back grill on may be that the relative level of mids and highs increases with the grill off/transparent grill. 

You might talk to Jim Salk.  The RAAL tweeter has more than one coil and Jim is probably driving all of them.  Jim might be able to tell you which wire to disconnect to disable a tweeter coil.  This would reduce the level of the tweeter and may help a bit.  Just a thought.  Talk to Jim.

On my SoundScape 10 Jim has a switch that disconnects some of the coils.  I am running mine in the lowest setting.

Bob

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Peter's smokey silver, birds eye maple SoundScape 8's
« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2012, 03:18 pm »
You might talk to Jim Salk.  The RAAL tweeter has more than one coil and Jim is probably driving all of them.  Jim might be able to tell you which wire to disconnect to disable a tweeter coil.  This would reduce the level of the tweeter and may help a bit.  Just a thought.  Talk to Jim.

On my SoundScape 10 Jim has a switch that disconnects some of the coils.  I am running mine in the lowest setting.

Bob

Interesting!  Thanks Bob.  I emailed Jim last night for advice.

......Peter