Thoughts on the sound from those who aren't Kool-Aid drinking fanboys.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
"Can't we all just get along?"--Rodney King
 :cry:

Just look where that got him. . .  :o

JohnR

I wish sometimes I could recapture that pure joy of always anticipating that next best thing.

And the letdown when you get it, and the gradual dawning of that "I've been had" realisation? No thanks :lol:

Not saying that anyone would feel that way about the NCores, of course  :peek:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Not saying that anyone would feel that way about the NCores, of course  :peek:
Certainly not tour members...that's why the tour is helpful.   :wink:

JohnR

Yes, the tour is a fantastic opportunity for people who are interested. While it is supposed to be a DIY project, it's still a fairly hefty upfront outlay (for a DIY project...)

I was just making the disclaimer that my comments were about my own past experience, not intimating anything about NCore.

Freo-1

Oh, don't get me wrong, the things I'm poking fun at are the EXACT same things I have done myself, in the past.  Live and learn... :)

Agree 100%.  Just poking a little fun at this subject.  As Tyson adroitly put it:

"Oh, don't get me wrong, the things I'm poking fun at are the EXACT same things I have done myself, in the past."

Guilty as charged."     :thumb:

On a different note, sadly, insults generally mean that one has no rational or reasonable argument to make, so they throw out insults to obfuscate the fact they have no reasonable argument to make to begin with.   :roll:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I have to take one thing back - I am giddy as a schoolgirl on my current "next best thing" - an Epson 5010 projector, to replace my broken, 7 year old Panasonic AE900.  3x the light output, better blacks, much better contrast and color saturation, higher resolution, and it's 3D capable.  Can't wait to watch some quality 3D blurays on a 100 inch screen!  Or even some 3D games on my PS3, that would be tres cool 8)

barrows

• Industry Participant
I recently had the opportunity to hear the nCore amps as I was building a pair for a friend.  I got to listen with about 3 days of use on the amps, so I limit my comments to understanding that they will sound somewhat different with more comprehensive break in:
The good: exceptionally low noise floor, and state of the art detail retrieval, good dynamics, and excellent bass resonse and control.
The questionable: high frequencies just do not seem to be totally fleshed out: that is, things likes bells, cymbals, and chimes seem to have a bit truncated decays, missing the full harmonic envelope.

My impression is that something is actually missing from the output of the nCore, something which is present at the input, and is not the result of distortion in other amplifiers.  Does anyone else notice this quality?
My amplifier for reference is a Pass X150.5. 

Despite my reservations, I do think the nCores are exceptional in many ways, and I am interested enough in them that I would like to build up a stereo version for my own use and further evaluation.  But, I was not "blown away" as many people seem to be, at least not enough to sell my Pass in order to fund a top level nCore build.

serengetiplains

My experience parallels yours, Barrows.  Among the excellent things the Ncores do, at their worst they sound flat, dull and sucked-out in certain important ways they reproduce mid and high frequencies.  I suspect feedback is partly the source for these qualities.

cab

Since there have only been a few comments similar to these about the top end, versus dozens of others that have not found such fault, I can't help but wonder if the problem isn't further up the chain.....

serengetiplains

Nope.  My source was a DragonFly DAC which has none of that flatness and dullery, etc.

jackman

Since there have only been a few comments similar to these about the top end, versus dozens of others that have not found such fault, I can't help but wonder if the problem isn't further up the chain.....

Hi Cab,

Maybe you should start a happy-talk thread where only positive views of the Ncore are allowed.  Questioning the views of people who express less than overwhelmingly positive comments about the Ncore is pathetic.

I'm sure the happy-talk thread will get lots of action...especially if you offer free Kool-Aid!  You may want to serve the sugar free version because there are some big drinkers around here.

Cheers

Jack

PS - I like the Ncore and plan to build a set.  People who have auditioned the amp are allowed to have opinions and some may even differ from mine.

a1p1

Cab, king of sliced bread, keeper of the NCore faith, always there to belittle those who are less than totally committed to the cause of NCore. 

cab

Maybe you should start a remedial reading thread for people who can't seem to comprehend the written word. Or maybe a words in mouth thread for those that like to add their own misconceptions. Or how about a frustrated comedian thread for those that think their snarky, smart ass comments are actually funny?

Or maybe you can just point to where I wrote that different views are not allowed, or where I wrote that people aren't allowed to have opinions other than mine.

I am simply pointing out the possibility that the fault isn't with the ncore. Perhaps that concept is lost on you.....

cab

Cab, king of sliced bread, keeper of the NCore faith, always there to belittle those who are less than totally committed to the cause of NCore.

Suggesting other possibilities is not belittling anyone.

Portraying someone as "always there to belittle",is in itself, belittlement. Congrats pot.

Rclark

Someone should buy Jackman a "Jump to Conclusions Matt" that guy from the movie office space had for sale.

Jackman, would you consider the possibility that in some systems, some of the components aren't as good as this amp?

Because as I scoured all the reviews, I've found that those with super high end systems can find no fault.

Please take a xanax before you answer.

Rclark

And speaking mostly of the diyaudio reviews, many of those guys have jaw dropping systems...

a1p1

Suggesting other possibilities is not belittling anyone.

Portraying someone as "always there to belittle",is in itself, belittlement. Congrats pot.
I suggest that the criticisms of the NCore offerered are valid and don't need you suggesting that the problems must be elsewhere in their system.  Your need to constantly defend the NCore and try to poke holes in anyone else's criticisms smack of insecurity and are a disservice to a fine pair of amps. 

AP

p.s.
I do find the snarky comments funny. 

cab

I suggest that the criticisms of the NCore offerered are valid and don't need you suggesting that the problems must be elsewhere in their system.  Your need to constantly defend the NCore and try to poke holes in anyone else's criticisms smack of insecurity and are a disservice to a fine pair of amps. 

AP

p.s.
I do find the snarky comments funny.

I suggested there are other possibilities which did not include the word "must". I suggest that is your own addition.

Your "suggestion" is an unsupported opinion. Everyone, they say, has one. I prefer to defer to the bulk of the evidence, which would point to problems other than with the ncore. It could be the ncore but only a few people have mentioned it, out of dozens and dozens. Prudence would dictate looking deeper into the situation rather than jumping to a possibly erroneous conclusion. I am not defending the ncore as much as I am defending common logic and the possible non sequitur some seem all too ready to grab at as a certainty. If you have bothered to read all the reviews, you know that many people have commented on how the ncore reveals all the weaknesses upstream. You would also know that nearly every time someone has thought there was noise in the output, glare, or other problems, they have come back and said that after further investigation, they found the issue to be caused upstream.

PS- Thankfully some people are easily entertained.

a1p1

I suggested there are other possibilities which did not include the word "must". I suggest that is your own addition.

Your "suggestion" is an unsupported opinion. Everyone, they say, has one. I prefer to defer to the bulk of the evidence, which would point to problems other than with the ncore. It could be the ncore but only a few people have mentioned it, out of dozens and dozens. Prudence would dictate looking deeper into the situation rather than jumping to a possibly erroneous conclusion. I am not defending the ncore as much as I am defending common logic and the possible non sequitur some seem all too ready to grab at as a certainty.

PS- Thankfully some people are easily entertained.

Yes, my opinion, is just that, my opinion.  It is as valid, as are the opinions of others.  Some think the NCore are a bit flat. Some think they are the perfect amps.  Some thought they were perfect and now reserve judgement.  Your "evidence" is just opinion.  Nothing more.  I don't care that you seem to think they are the best amps.  What is so hard to stomache is the zealotry.  RCark may be the most annoying poster about NCore, but you are a close second.  Go for the gold!

AP

jackman

Cab,

Maybe you are right. After all, you have a heavy hitter like Rclark backing you up with his measured, well thought,  and objective views  This amp is so great, Rclark has been involved in several heated discussions and arguments, defending the amp, extolling its virtues, and making bold predictions - despite the fact that he has never heard it.  His "review" was written long ago and I'm sure he is just waiting to get the amp in house long enough to officially bust the seal on a fresh tin of Kool-Aid. Drink up!

Rclark, I don't need Xanax.  Whenever I feel a bit down, I can always rely on the words of wisdom you spew...er, graciously share with the fortunate people of AC to bring a smile to my face. Works every time.

Cheers

Jack