Thoughts on the sound from those who aren't Kool-Aid drinking fanboys.

cab

A somewhat surprise on the Theta website, Theta has taken off their earlier announcement of the new Hypex based Prometheus amps.

I wonder what that is all about. :scratch:

Maybe they gave up after reading the comments in this thread and realized ncore is all hype.

cab

Medium Jim, you are misunderstanding Jeff Rowland.
Here is the full question and anwser.

And that, as they say, is the rest of the story....

medium jim

I don't find that a put down on class d in any way....he could be taking about class A as well....

Cab:

Before you rush to silly judgements, the question he responded to was solely about Class D..."Is Class D competetive with linear designs in sound quality, and if not, will it ever be?"

It was clear that he was referring to Class D....

Jim

sts9fan

BUT, his anwser refers to the previous question where he basiclly says he does not class descriminate.

You choose to work primarily in solidstate
Class AB and in Class D. What
are the advantages you see to your
chosen technologies?
Over my career I have designed using a
wide variety of technologies. I prefer to
believe that my work displays a willingness
to explore audio design regardless of
class designation. While my basic design
goals seem best suited to the solid-state
domain, I am not overly concerned about
which class of technological platform
I work within. You might say I am a
proponent of the classless society of
audio design, taking the best that each has
to offer in an attempt to create the finest
components possible.

jackman

Today
http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/era/7659/#comments

yesterday
http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/dacs-preamps/7628/

Oh Snap! 

Cab,
I was not slamming the Ncore in my posts, just the people who feel the need to question and badger anyone expressing an opinion of the Ncore that isn't glowingly positive. I could care less what the guys on the DIY site say about this amp.  I like it because I listened with my own ears.  I also respect other people's right to an opinion.  You are acting as the self appointed evangelist for this amp and I think your opinions are better suited for the other thread.  You are the exact person I had in mine when I named this one.

We all have different tastes and opinions and that's a good thing.  Some guys like blondes (that would be me) and some like a ginger minch (that would me me as well), some like Wild Grape Kool Aid and some like Blue Raspberry.  Just because a guy likes a different flavor of Kool Aid than you, it doesn't mean he made it with dirty water.  He might just like he way it tastes.

As for me, I've never been a fan of Kool Aid, but I would defend your right to chug it by the gallon.  I'd just prefer if you did it in the Kool Aid thread with your buddy Rclark. That's all.

Drinky, drinky!

J

Rclark

A somewhat surprise on the Theta website, Theta has taken off their earlier announcement of the new Hypex based Prometheus amps.

I wonder what that is all about. :scratch:

I think Mola Mola has something to do with it.

medium jim

BUT, his anwser refers to the previous question where he basiclly says he does not class descriminate.

I read something completely different, he is saying to limit one purely to Class D is too limiting and the results will be as well.  YMMV

Jim

OzarkTom

We all have different tastes and opinions and that's a good thing.  Some guys like blondes (that would be me)

J

And I like Brunettes. :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
And I like Brunettes. :thumb:
I like 'em ALL!  The color of their hair is the least of my concern.   :green:

I like a HUGE heart.   :peek:

jackman

Okay, finally something we can agree on!  I am with you guys...love the blonde girls, brunettes, red heads, whatever.  One rule, no fatties!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Okay, finally something we can agree on!  I am with you guys...love the blonde girls, brunettes, red heads, whatever.  One rule, no fatties!
Post of the night!   :thumb:

cab

I read something completely different, he is saying to limit one purely to Class D is too limiting and the results will be as well.  YMMV

Jim

He says class d quality depend on implementation- that it can be fantastic or otherwise. In light of his use of class d, it would seem that when he says one shouldn't limit oneself to any certain class, he could just as easily mean it literally and inclusively. It all depends on how well it is implemented (implying there are good and bad regardless of class).

Again, he sells class d amps. He is developing a new product, by accounts, with Hypex. He can sell anything he wants. I ask you, logically, would he be panning the very thing he is trying to sell? Does that make any sense?

OzarkTom

He says class d quality depend on implementation- that it can be fantastic or otherwise. In light of his use of class d, it would seem that when he says one shouldn't limit oneself to any certain class, he could just as easily mean it literally and inclusively. It all depends on how well it is implemented (implying there are good and bad regardless of class).

Again, he sells class d amps. He is developing a new product, by accounts, with Hypex. He can sell anything he wants. I ask you, logically, would he be panning the very thing he is trying to sell? Does that make any sense?

Sorry cab, we have change our wave of thoughts to skinny goils.

cab

Ah, ok, shift change....

jackman

The turbulent Kool Aid thread is suddenly at peace. 

Also, not too skinny. I like a girl with curves. As my chef friend, Dieter, once said in a late night Windsor strip club, as he walked away with the chunkiest dancer, "bones are for dogs."  His view on these matters was a bit extreme. Dieter wasn't a chubby-chaser, he was a chubby-catcher.

medium jim

Gee, the last time I spoke with Jeff R, he told me he liked chubby red heads!  Me on the other hand, have yellow fever 8)

Jim

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
I stand corrected on TAS issue. I must have missed that one. I do remember a similar round table before. However I do stand by the rest of my post.

Actually, I will take one of each. No I am not a Mormon, but I would still like one of each.   

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Is this the "Humour and Joke" circle ? :scratch:

You guys are funny.....the stuff you come up with... :lol:

Forget the Kool-Aid....try beer.... :wink:

..............carry on.... :beer:

firedog

Here's Jeff Rowland's last two sentences when asked about Class D (May/June 2012 TAS pg 71):

"...Strict adherence to a class designation for an audio designer is like asking a painter to reduce the number of colors on his palette.  The end result may be less vivid than you had hoped for."

Jeff's words, not mine...

Jim

Sorry, you put words in his mouth. Read it in context, and he is referring to the fact that as a designer he doesn't want to limit  himself to only one technology, in order to get the best results.

That isn't a put down of Class D. He's just saying he doesn't restrict himself to Class D.

If you read through the designer interviews, the opinions on Class D varied. A few were all in favor, some said it still had inherent limitations that future technology might overcome, some said it by definition couldn't compete with true conventional high-end designs, and others said it was competitive already.

I agree with the comments that the designers may not be the best people to ask this question to, as many have already made decisions about what kind technology is best, and are not going to change their minds after 30-40 years of designing amps.

Per the arguments in this thread on the sound of the NCore: one man's flat and lifeless is another man's good quality reproduction. We will never all agree on matters of taste.

bruno

• Industry Participant
With regards to the question of whether they like Ncore, I see 4 categories of people.

1) Those who heard it and like it.
2) Those who heard it and do not.
3) Those who haven't heard it but are nevertheless wildly enthusiastic.
4) Those who haven't heard it and are certain they won't like it.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think the former two are fully entitled to their judgment, while the latter two are just plain silly.

Instead of bickering, types 1 and 2 should try to work out why their opinions differ, for instance by comparing notes on other pieces of kit. "Hmm, I also like dac X more than dac Y and for you it's the reverse... there might be a pattern here..." That is precisely why you are on an audio forum, boys. Not to make your opinions heard, but to exchange them.

And of course type 3 is not that silly after all since the assumption that good measured performance translates into unadulterated sound is quite reasonable, at least to those who haven't sunk down to their eardrums into the mire that is contemporary postmodern audiophilia where anything goes.