Corona Virus update (See latest update).

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Corona Virus update (See latest update).
« Reply #60 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:01 pm »
Another odd thing is that the GRS 10" planar shows an 8 ohm impedance in the PE add, but the datasheet shows 4 ohms.  The BG NEO10 is 8 ohms, so that would change the passive XO design, if the datasheet is correct.   

Nah they're both 8-Ohm loads according the the PE pages, and the PDF sheets, but there are some other minor differences.

look at the differences in how their sensitivity is measured tho..
BG following the industry standard, and GRS doing whatever i guess.. :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #61 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:10 pm »
The first GRS 10" planar datasheet I downloaded says 4 ohms, they just changed the datasheet recently to 8 ohms.

Interesting.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:14 pm »
That's really weird. Cuz the PDF does say 4ohm but the impedence graph clearly shows a 6.8ohm load??

ooheadsoo

« Reply #63 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:37 pm »
2.83v is definitely an industry standard.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:49 pm »
2.83v is definitely an industry standard.
I actually had to do a little digging but you are correct. 1W is the same, 2.83v^2/8ohm= 1W its the same measurement, but stated in a different way.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 19 Sep 2020, 12:27 am »
I watched a tear down video of the Neo10 and while I assumed that it had 9 magnets per section, its actually 7, and unlike the Neo3/8 they are longer. This means there is only 3 rows of them, not 4.
Meaning the 42 count it most likely correct, with 21 per side, like the GRS-10" page states.

Makes me curious if a pair of "Pseudo Minis" could be built...  :lol:
A pair of GRS-3s & GRS-10s would cost about $320...
I believe Jay still has some Super Mini flatpacks going for $250+ shipping.
Then depending on the cost of a crossover, I'm guessing you could build a pair for $800-ish or go with more "budget" options to keep with the "Pseudo" theme, based on Danny's schematics for maybe $700?
Only snag would be the GRS-3 using the weaker 6 magnet PDR design instead of the original 10-magnet model, it might require a redesign of the X-over?

I think it would be a "fun" build, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy them, esp since I already have my XLS built & the NX-Studios still in progress, and don't have the space to enjoy them properly.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 19 Sep 2020, 07:19 pm »
One issue is that the crossover would have to be redesigned. Since those drivers perform differently than the ones the crossover was designed for, it won’t work with those drivers

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 19 Sep 2020, 07:31 pm »
Yeah, I figured it probably would likely need a new crossover.
But for the price, I almost wouldn't be against building a set and have Danny design the crossover. But spending $800 just ain't in the budget right now, unless someone wanted me to build it, send one to Danny for the new crossover, assemble the crossover, and ship it to them.
By then we're looking at close to $1000+ after shipping & a small fee for time/assembly..

But that's only if someone is willing to take the risk building a kit with them to see how they perform..

Zitoun

« Reply #68 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:34 pm »
I would be interested if Danny could give his blessing with this new Neo10, but from what he is saying, I assume they look almost the same than what he had in hand, and then moved on to another potential solution.

But let the designer tell us what he thinks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #69 on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:40 pm »
The ones that I received weren't usable. With the undamped diaphragm there was just too much ringing.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:08 am »
The ones that I received weren't usable. With the undamped diaphragm there was just too much ringing.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence about picking one up just for testing purposes. Cuz only the slimmer 8" model lacks the damping fabric, all the other pictures show a similar black damping layer to the standard BG products with the only visible differences being nuts/bolts instead of rivets.
But I'll make my decision after I do the testing with the GRS-3" PDR clone.

If I knew where to source that damper fabric, I'd try applying it myself, since its glued to the magnets/frame, but its probably not a realistic thing since it would risk damaging the diagram.
It looks like a ultra-thin felt material, about as thick and transparent as tracing paper, but more open and fibrous/soft than an actual paper.

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:25 pm »
If you take one of those things apart you'll never get them back together. They blow themselves apart as soon as you unscrew them.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #72 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:18 pm »
A fair point, tbh.
Watching a Neo 10 tear down they had to use spacers as it was disassembled so it didn't shift or fly apart.
I do need to watch the neo3 tear down.

On that note, my GRS-3 should be here today so I'll start a thread with some pics comparing it against my Neo 3 (non-PDR).

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #73 on: 21 Sep 2020, 10:42 pm »
Here are pictures of the new GRS PT2522-4 planar tweeter that came today:

Look very similar to the BG NEO3-PDR style tweeter.  Definitely says made in China on the package.

Should be interesting to compare to the original BG NEO3 and the GR NEO3 in the Super Mini baffles.  I purchased the Super Mini passive XO kit's from Danny today to test with my test baffles that has his GR NEO3's installed.  My original pair of baffles have BG NEO3-PDR tweeters installed.

There is no guarantee that they will work like the original BG's.  This is all for trials. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #74 on: 21 Sep 2020, 10:56 pm »
Just got mine as well!
Here's a side by side with my standard Neo 3:

(GRS-3 on left, BG Neo3 on right)

I'm gunna be writing up a thread breaking down the physical differences, shortly.
Feel free to throw in your measurements and thoughts on there as well.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #75 on: 21 Sep 2020, 11:03 pm »
Will do.

Interesting, is your BG NEO3 a NEO3-PDR version?  Does not look like it has the felt on the planar for damping.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 21 Sep 2020, 11:25 pm »
Here's the thread so we can move the discussion over there:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172523.new#new

Interesting, is your BG NEO3 a NEO3-PDR version?  Does not look like it has the felt on the planar for damping.

My neo3 is not a PDR, its the standard 10-magnet model, more similar to Danny's current Neo3s.
But i did get some yarn from Danny to add to it during my testing.

WarmColors

« Reply #77 on: 21 Nov 2020, 03:10 am »
The latest samples arrived and were tested last week. I did approve them. So they now about to knock out the production run. I will have more in stock late Nov. or early Dec.

Out of curiosity, how many of you are waiting for the studio monitors? It sounds like Danny keeps receiving orders for kits and some of us may be late in the game that we may need to wait after the first batch in December to get our kits :/ 

WarmColors

« Reply #78 on: 21 Nov 2020, 03:31 am »
Hmm it seems no one is ordering anything and once the new drivers come in, I will be the only one to get my kit!!  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #79 on: 21 Nov 2020, 05:19 am »
Out of curiosity, how many of you are waiting for the studio monitors? It sounds like Danny keeps receiving orders for kits and some of us may be late in the game that we may need to wait after the first batch in December to get our kits :/

I'm mostly waiting on the new batch of NQ drivers, so i can go ahead & order what I need from Danny, so i can then order some of my own crossover upgrades, namely Erse foil inductors & Path Audio resistors.

But I still need to decide on using either all copper caps, or just Sonicaps with copper bypass caps.. :scratch:
Tho as big as some of those copper caps are, I may just go with Sonicaps to save some airspace..