What are the latest company updates for Vapor Audio?

EdRo

Re: What are the latest company updates for Vapor Audio?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2019, 01:59 am »
Hey guys. Sorry it's taken me awhile to get things going. I'm working on 2 new prototypes. One is a smaller 2-way. The other is a tower slated to have either a beryllium dome or RAAL tweet and Audiotech mid. Possibly 2 woofers would round it out.

EdRo

« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2019, 11:04 am »
Sorry for the lack of detail about these two new prototypes. I attempted my above entry with my tiny phone! The smaller stand speaker will be around 19.5" tall, 14.5" deep and 9" wide. It will use a 6" Tang Band woofer and a Morel silk dome tweeter. The components and crossovers are finalized for this cab. It's name for now is the "Mini-VonOtto". The big tower is my next attempt at a larger cab, but will be able to fit in a smaller room without overpowering it. Both of these cabs are based on the construction methods that I worked out with my VonOtto prototype. I know that the look of these cabs is different from the Aurora and Nimbus. I wanted to remove wood from the build, to eliminate swelling and shrinking from moisture changes, which can lead to finish issues. These new shapes are designed with efficiency and performance in mind. Instead of building a cab with wood then adding vibration reducing materials, the walls themselves are cast from those vibration eliminating materials. Curves are used throughout the shape to add strength, eliminate internal standing waves, and give visual balance to the form. I'm very proud of these two new cab designs. If anyone has some feedback, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks!
Ed

audioengr

« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2019, 04:12 pm »
Ed - it would be nice to get an update on where the business stands now.  I know that Ryan raised his prices.  Did Ryan hire some help?  Is the lead-time getting smaller?  Has he scaled-up his shop and made some investment?  Who covers customer service?  Are his more affordable speakers still being made by the other company?

The speakers are outstanding, but it' s hard to recommend them when the wait was so painful.

Thanks,
Steve N.
Nimbus owner
Empirical Audio

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2019, 04:39 pm »
Hey Ed! Nice to see you still working at it!

Any chance you could tell us how Ryan is doing overall?

EdRo

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:32 pm »
Ryan is doing better. Thanks for the continued concern guys.

EdRo

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2019, 07:33 pm »
I don't mean to be vague, but while I think things are finishing up, I don't know any particulars. Ryan mentioned a possible meeting coming soon. He has so many things to finish that he can now get done, that I think all of us don't know the extent of. His passion for building world beating speakers is still there. Of that I am sure.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:42 am »
I miss Ryan kicking my @$$ at audio shows.   He made strive to up my game again and again.

Hey Ryan if you see this, you better bring it next show we both do!  'Cause I intend to make you work for another one of those "Best In Show" titles!!

All of my best wishes to you and yours.

Duke

otto802

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2019, 10:44 pm »
Both of these cabs are based on the construction methods that I worked out with my VonOtto prototype.

That's an amazing name!  :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2019, 01:22 pm »
I'm not an employee of Vapor, he's just a buddy of mine. That being said, I've personally helped transport multiple pairs of speakers he's building in recent past.
So Ryan is still there, he's still building, and still shipping speakers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 21 Mar 2019, 11:45 pm »
Bob,

That is totally awesome on all accounts.  :thumb: :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2019, 09:19 am »
Any updates to this thread?  I'd love to see more Vapor Speakers!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2019, 11:50 am »
There’s a beautiful pair of Vapors for sale on the Trading Post right now!  :wink:

Factorz

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2019, 08:35 pm »
Just checking in to see if anyone has spoken to Ryan and if Vapor still plans to continue building speakers. Hope he is well.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2019, 02:10 pm »
Just checking in to see if anyone has spoken to Ryan and if Vapor still plans to continue building speakers. Hope he is well.

I heard from Ryan 16 Feb 2019. At that time he was trying to finish up his previous commitments before announcing his plans for Vapor. I have not heard from him since although in all fairness he mentioned he would reach out again when he was in the position to refund my Cirrus deposit.

pconley2

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2019, 09:10 pm »

With all the questions about Vapor, I thought some of you might want to know why we all care.  Ryan Scott made (hopefully still makes) amazing speakers.  Almost all of the owners with whom I have been in contact appreciate how good they are. 
last weekend, the local Audio Society had a few open houses for members to visit different member homes and get a sense of their setups.  I had 14 people visit over three hours and the least complementary statement I got was " wow, very revealing system", which ironically is exactly what Ryan said would happen.  "As you improve your system, these speakers will reveal more and more inner detail, detail that you are not yet hearing". He was correct, every effect of change I have made has been immediately obvious through these speakers.  I truly wish him well.

audioengr

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2019, 11:35 pm »
With all the questions about Vapor, I thought some of you might want to know why we all care.  Ryan Scott made (hopefully still makes) amazing speakers.  Almost all of the owners with whom I have been in contact appreciate how good they are. 
last weekend, the local Audio Society had a few open houses for members to visit different member homes and get a sense of their setups.  I had 14 people visit over three hours and the least complementary statement I got was " wow, very revealing system", which ironically is exactly what Ryan said would happen.  "As you improve your system, these speakers will reveal more and more inner detail, detail that you are not yet hearing". He was correct, every effect of change I have made has been immediately obvious through these speakers.  I truly wish him well.

Are those JC-1 monoblocks?  Have they been modded?

pconley2

« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2019, 12:00 am »
Wow, good eyes, no, they are a pair of JC5 stereo amps, each of which is driving one speaker.  the amps were on loan to me from Parasound for this event. They have a way where a speaker that is bi-wireable can be driven by say the left output going to the tweeter, and the right output going to the woofer.  The sound with JC1s is great (really great), the sound with 2 JC5's is staggering.

EdRo

« Reply #37 on: 19 Sep 2019, 12:41 am »
Just a headsup, guys. The newest speaker I've put together is a proof of concept. There is no wood used in this speaker. It will be at Grand Rapids on  Friday and Saturday for listening sessions and crossover discussion, all hosted by Meniscus Audio. Thanks guys. I'd like to meet more AudioCircle people! Come check out this little show!

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2019, 11:20 pm by EdRo »

Factorz

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2019, 01:19 pm »
They look great and I'm sure they sound pretty good as well. Is this a speaker that will be under the Vapor brand? Good luck at the show.

EdRo

« Reply #39 on: 24 Sep 2019, 11:30 pm »
These speakers were very well recieved in Grand Rapids this last weekend. The impact the Acoustic Elegance woofers were dishing out was fun to hear. And the Transducer Labs ceramic dome tweeters were accurate, crisp but non-fatiguing. One of the best speaker designers in attendance said "they are just fabulous". These are a complete 2-way!