Roy B's 1801's

jsalk

Roy B's 1801's
« on: 21 Jul 2006, 08:49 pm »
As many of you know, we also build speakers designed by others. 

I have had the pleasure of working closely with Dave Ellis for quite a few years now and highly regard his Ellis 1801 design (also featuring a brilliant crossover design by Dennis Muphy).

Roy wanted a pair of 1801's in Santos Rosewood.  Here they are:

And a close-up.

Happy listening Roy!

- Jim

95bcwh

Re: Roy B's 1801's
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2006, 09:21 pm »
As many of you know, we also build speakers designed by others. 

I have had the pleasure of working closely with Dave Ellis for quite a few years now and highly regard his Ellis 1801 design (also featuring a brilliant crossover design by Dennis Muphy).

Roy wanted a pair of 1801's in Santos Rosewood.  Here they are:

And a close-up.

Happy listening Roy!

- Jim

Fantastic looking speakers!!!! What tweeter does this speaker uses? How does it compare to the G2?

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2006, 10:07 pm »
Those are some beautiful rosewood slices.  Great looking speaker. 

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2006, 11:37 pm »
Jim is that a solid wood baffle? The pattern is so well matched that it's tough to tell.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2006, 04:20 am »
95bcwh -

Fantastic looking speakers!!!! What tweeter does this speaker uses? How does it compare to the G2?

It is the Hiquphon OW1 - a traditional dome tweeter.  Because it is a 3/4" dome rather than a 1" dome, it does a better job at the upper extremes of human hearing.  I think it is one of the finest traditional dome tweeters available and does an extremely good job. 

Of course, dome tweeters are not as low-mass as a ribbon tweeter and are not as fast.  So the G2 will offer more high treble detail and be much more transparent. 

It is like the OW1 produces a gorgious top end while the G2 appears to have no top end at all.  The G2 is more like a crystal clear window into the sound in comparison.

I hope this makes sense.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2006, 04:27 am »
Al -

Jim is that a solid wood baffle? The pattern is so well matched that it's tough to tell.

No, it is not a solid wood front baffle.  I used rosewood trim around all the front edges and then veneered over the top of it.  When I then routed the edges with a round-over bit, it exposed the underlying rosewood trim.  You can see the difference up close, but it is still a very good match.

- Jim