Upgrades to the Salk HT3...

Marbles

« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2005, 01:22 pm »
Quote from: zybar
When the switches are in the mode of using the passive crossovers, do you need to jumper between the binding posts?

I am trying to decide if I go this route or just have the crossovers externally in an enclosure.

George

No, they are internally wired (jumped) in passive mode, the switch takes the jumpers and XO's out of the signal path when you want to go active.

I did not go this route because I did not want the switches in the signal path, nor do I think I will tri-amp.

I have two sets of binding posts (heck maybe it's 3, I can't remember now) that are jumpered with Poiema! so I can bi-wire/bi-amp.  

If you use 3 sets of binding posts with the top one without any connections, then you can bi-wire/bi-amp and if you want to tri-amp
 it would be an easy thing to take the drivers out, re-run the internal wire so it bypasses the XO's and hooks to the 3 sets of binding posts.

The difference is ease of going back and forth with the switches vs the detriment of having switches in the signal path.

I went for purity of the signal.

The above is of course with internally mounted XO's.

If I were you, I would have external XO's made, which would give you purity of signal AND and easy way to go back and forth.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jul 2005, 03:14 pm »
kschac :
    The HT-3's with upgraded caps in the crossovers that Jim just completed are mine. I ordered them back in February but we had to wait for the upgraded caps to be delivered. But they should be shipping today and it's possible they will be here by Friday for some weekend listening (I hope so because I will be too busy at work for any listening next week).
    [/list:u]
      Happy listening Ken !!! I remember you telling me at George's Rave in Feb. that you ordered them. They look good !!!! Looks like a great weekend of listening. [/list:u]
        Will you be using them with the TACT as well ? Thanks.[/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

kschac

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jul 2005, 05:40 pm »
    Hi Chris:

Yes, it took a while, but they are finally done. I do plan to use the TacT RCS 2.2x for correction -- once I've had a chance to listen to them sans correction and see how they sound out of the box. I will definitely post listening impressions once I've had a real chance to hear them.

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
    • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
    « Reply #43 on: 13 Jul 2005, 06:35 pm »
    Ken,

They pretty darn good without correction, but they really shine with the proper room correction employed.

It will be interesting to see how they measure in your room vs. mine.

What were the dimensions of your room?

Slightly off topic...you really must get the Aberdeen PS for your TacT if you haven't already.  Very noticeable improvement and well worth the money.

George

kschac

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:21 pm »
    George:

Yes, we should compare notes after I am up and running. My room is about 28 x 14 x 9. It's a pretty nice size, but it's our living room and isn't dedictaed to music and theater, as yours is.

I've heard great things about the Aberdeen. It's next on my upgrade list. How simple is it to install? I have no soldering skills, but I understand no soldering is required.

Regards

Ken

ekovalsky

« Reply #45 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:43 pm »
    Quote from: kschac
    George:

Yes, we should compare notes after I am up and running. My room is about 28 x 14 x 9. It's a pretty nice size, but it's our living room and isn't dedictaed to music and theater, as yours is.

I've heard great things about the Aberdeen. It's next on my upgrade list. How simple is it to install? I have no soldering skills, but I understand no soldering is required.

Regards

Ken

Ken,

I have the Aberdeen Signature PSU also.  Installation takes less than five minutes.  Even my wife could do it!

All you need to do is remove the eight hex screws holding the top chassis panel in place.  After the top panel is off, remove the two socketed wire connectors from the stock PSU.  Then take out the four phillips screws holding the PSU in place.  Lift out the stock PSU and replace with the Abderdeen unit -- it is a drop-in upgrade that fits perfectly.  Secure in place with the four Phillips screws, reconnect the two socketed wire connectors, the replace the top plate.  DONE!

I echo George's sentiments about this upgrade.  I found the new PSU to improve soundstaging and air around individual instruments and significantly drop the noise floor.  I never thought the stock 2.2X had significant digital noise until I upgraded.

Anthony's customer service is first rate.  He continues to make improvements on these units and graciously offered to update my PSU to the latest design (capacitor exchange and new high speed diode bridge) at no extra cost.  Turnover time is one day.

As I also have TacT amps, I will probably try out his new upgrades for them too.  Next time I drive to Vegas I'll bring them with me and pay him a visit!

There is another individual advertising TacT upgrades on Audiogon, but he has basically no experience working on TacT gear other than one Millenium amp.  He wants your money - $800 - and promises huge improvements without telling you what will be done.  Anthony, on the other hand,  will give you lots of information as to what he does and why, his prices are very reasonable, and also his modifications will not void warranty.  His business is largely devoted to TacT and he is very familiar with all their products.

Eric

kschac

« Reply #46 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:49 pm »
    Sounds pretty simple and very worthwhile. I have clung to using my Levinson 380S preamp after the TacT (and my Benchmark outboard DAC), partly to avoid the analog-digital-analog conversion on LPs and SACD (I have the TacT ADC board) -- but also because I felt the system is a bit more dynamic with the Levinson in the chain. Maybe the upgraded PS would obviate the need for the Levinson?

Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #47 on: 13 Jul 2005, 10:31 pm »
    When the switches are in the mode of using the passive crossovers, do you need to jumper between the binding posts?

I am trying to decide if I go this route or just have the crossovers externally in an enclosure.

George

George -

The bottom pair of binding posts provide the input to the woofer and midrange/tweeter crossover sections.  If you do not bi-wire, they need to be jumpered.  Of course, if you never wish to bi-wire, I could certainly feed all three crossovers from a single set of binding posts.

The three sets of binding posts above that are for the woofer, midrange and tweeter respectively.

The way it is set up, the outputs of the crossovers are fed to switches just above each of these three sets of binding posts.  When the switches are in the down position, the output of the passive crossovers are fed to the respective drivers.  When they are in the up position, the passive crossovers are removed from the system and the inputs at each of the upper three sets of binding posts are fed to the respective drivers.

So the upper three sets of binding posts allow for a direct connection to individual amplifiers in an actively-crossed system.  This set-up would actually make it possible to do A/B comparisons between active and passive crossovers on the fly (by flipping three switches).

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #48 on: 13 Jul 2005, 11:09 pm »
    Thanks for the responses Rob and Jim.

I think I will stick with my original plan and go with external crossovers.

Now if I could just sell some gear...   :cry:

George

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #49 on: 13 Jul 2005, 11:12 pm »
    Quote from: kschac
    Sounds pretty simple and very worthwhile. I have clung to using my Levinson 380S preamp after the TacT (and my Benchmark outboard DAC), partly to avoid the analog-digital-analog conversion on LPs and SACD (I have the TacT ADC board) -- but also because I felt the system is a bit more dynamic with the Levinson in the chain. Maybe the upgraded PS would obviate the need for the Levinson?

Thanks.

With the upgrade I don't find any noticeable improvement adding my very well reviewed Audio Logic 24MXL dac into the chain (which is why it is for sale).

I feel that with Abderdeen PS the TacT becomes an excellent preamp AND dac.

Sorry for getting off topic...back to the Salk HT3's.

George

ekovalsky

« Reply #50 on: 14 Jul 2005, 12:31 am »
    I think I will stick with my original plan and go with external crossovers.

George

That's definitely what I would do.  Are you getting the Cardas 'patented' posts on your next HT3s ?

Bingenito

« Reply #51 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:13 am »
    Congratulations those are some gorgeous speakers :!:  Outstanding job Jim.

I will be counting down the days until I get my fully tweaked HT3s. The past few days I have been trying not to think about the speakers so that I can hold out for a few more weeks but these pictures of exotic HT3s keep showing up and taunting me.  :violin:

WilliamL

« Reply #52 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:18 am »
    Howdy...

Can somebody tell me how efficient the H3 and H1's are? I wonder if they would mate well with Red Wine Dual Mono amps that I am getting this weekend.

Thanks again,
    Bill Laurent

Marbles

« Reply #53 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:22 am »
    Quote from: Bill Laurent
    Howdy...

Can somebody tell me how efficient the H3 and H1's are? I wonder if they would mate well with Red Wine Dual Mono amps that I am getting this weekend.

Thanks again,
    Bill Laurent

I think they are in the 86DB 1w/1m range, but I'm not positive of that.  They are not high effeciency speakers by any means...

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #54 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:23 am »
    Quote from: Bill Laurent
    Howdy...

Thanks again,
    Bill Laurent

I don't think that combo will work too well, but you never know.

The HT3's are 86db efficient, but seem to like power.

I use a McCormack DNA-500 (600 watts into 8 ohms) with them and it is a magical combo.

George

Bingenito

« Reply #55 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:24 am »
    Specs direct from the Salk Sound site

HT3: http://www.salksound.com/HT3-specs.html

Bingenito

« Reply #56 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:31 am »
    Zybar I see that you posted your review on Audio Review. Great job. Hopefully others will do the same, I know I will.

Marbles

« Reply #57 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:08 am »
    Let the Honeymoon begin... :lol:   8)

Got my HT3's/HTC this afternoon.

Jim did an AWESOME job with the fit/finish on all 3 speakers.

The only upgrade these speakers did not get was a solid wood cap for the ports in the lower back part of the HT3's...I just found out about that today.

So far I'm VERY impressed...

:dance:  :notworthy:  :rock:

ekovalsky

« Reply #58 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:12 am »
    Congrats Marbles.  

Now... pictures and listening impressions!

Marbles

« Reply #59 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:16 am »
    Jim took some pictures that I'm sure will find their way here in the next few days.

Listening impressions mirror my earlier HT1 and HT3 listening sessions.

Some of the best bass I've heard, the whole audio image is very engaging...I get lost in the music rather than listening to it.