Upgrade the crossovers or new speaker? Qualio Audio IQ

RCduck7

Since these Hyperion HPS-938 speakers aren't getting any younger i'm thinking about upgrading the crossovers to give these speakers an other decade or more new life to them. I still really like these speakers, drivers are still good but maybe when the original crossovers parts are starting to fade away year by year i think now might be a good time to upgrade them.
That or maybe buy a new loudspeaker instead. The Qualio Audio IQ caught my attention. While being open baffle for midrange and highs it can still pressurise the room while low driver unit is in a cabinet. Looks like the best of both worlds to me. Did anyone heard the Qualio Audios here that are familiar with Hyperion?

ric

Re: Upgrade the crossovers or new speaker? Qualio Audio IQ
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:33 pm »
Dunno, I had my Dunlavy speakers for about 20 years and decided on something new, bought OB Spatial Audio M3 (used) then down the road upgraded the crossovers with new caps/resistors. One thing to consider is how difficult it might be to sell your beloved speakers, since shipping would be difficult.
Upgrading the crossovers on the M3TS speakers for me made a huge difference. You might want to try just replacing the resistors with Path resistors first, which is a relatively cheap upgrade. If you like what you hear, continue on. Good luck!

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:58 pm »
If you're considering Qualio Audio IQ speakers, then your budget is more than sufficient to greatly improve your sound quality by trading out your current speakers. There are tons of options and a few awesome open baffle designs to choose from. 

js1955

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:59 pm »
If you're considering Qualio Audio IQ speakers, then your budget is more than sufficient to greatly improve your sound quality by trading out your current speakers. There are tons of options and a few awesome open baffle designs to choose from.

Maybe....maybe not.

IIRC, back in the day, these Hyperion speakers got glowing reviews from all quarters.

Released in early 2000's at $4k retail, and most reviews said they performed beyond that.  That would be about $7k in today's money. 

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:12 pm »
At Ric, i can just send the crossover parts and not the speaker.

I have a soft spot for Dynaudio but still at that time i bought the Hyperions, it offered something more in the midrange. They reffered these HPS-938 as almost planar sound. Therefor Qualio Audio seems a good alternative.