DAC 10 as pure Dac possible?

Westerwälder

DAC 10 as pure Dac possible?
« on: 7 Apr 2023, 11:12 am »
Is it possible to use the DAC 10 as a pure Dac?

rustydoglim

Re: DAC 10 as pure Dac possible?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2023, 12:03 pm »
The volume control is like a switch, so you can fix the volume at mid-level (or whatever is suitable for your preamp). Each input has independent memory, so you do not have to adjust the volume once it is memorised.

Do not use the bypass setting mentioned in the manual, it is the same as setting the volume, but the bypass setting can result in loud pop when you switch between channels if you are not careful.

Westerwälder

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2023, 06:08 pm »
Thanks for the tip.
My thought deals with the DAC or preamp section of the DAC-10.
I want to bypass the preamp to experience the pure character of the DAC and also the character of the preamp I want to drive.
I did not find the bypass setting in the manual as such.
How can I bypass the preamp?
What points do I need to pay attention to?
I will be feeding 2x digital. 1x CDT-10 and 1x WR-1
The analog sources are to be connected to the preamp of my choice.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2023, 05:09 pm »
I want to bypass the preamp to experience the pure character of the DAC and also the character of the preamp I want to drive

I think this question comes up every few months. A DAC that has a very good preamp design does not need to bypass the preamp.
There is no such thing as "bypass".  To bypass means to go through a switch and that switch is not a mechanical switch.
Read this FAQ: https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/what-kind-of-volume-control-and-preamp-do-you-use-for-your-dac/

Send your input through the analog input, set the volume, memorised it and don't change it. That's the same as bypass.