Best way to preamp

gammi

Best way to preamp
« on: 14 Nov 2023, 01:10 am »
I have some Van Alstine M225 monoblocks coming and I was wondering whether I should utilize the volume control on my Gustard R26 DAC or via one of my (pre)amps like Freya+ and Holo Bliss.
What would be the disadvantages/advantages of digital attenuation vs a passive (or buffered) preamp?

Thanks for any input.

richidoo

Re: Best way to preamp
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2023, 03:08 pm »
whether I should utilize the volume control on my Gustard R26 DAC or via one of my (pre)amps like Freya+ and Holo Bliss.
What would be the disadvantages/advantages of digital attenuation vs a passive (or buffered) preamp?

Gustard first 30dB of volume attenuation is analog, but any attenuation more than -30dB is digital which is achieved by shortening the word length of each sample (throwing away music data.) With very high (>-50dB) digital attenuation it will sound gritty. So if you normally listen at -30 or louder then you can use Gustard alone with no penalty. You can still turn it down lower for background music etc, but it will be throwing away some data bits to affect the digital volume attenuation. This is not usually audible until another -20-30dB of digital attenuation. At that point your total attenuation would be -60dB which is a lot, so you wouldn't listen that low anyway.

But you may still prefer the sound of the preamps in the signal path anyway. Every component changes the sound in some way, and active preamps are often essential to the musicality of the system. The preamps may have better remote control, or better bass slam, or smoother treble, etc.  It's a personal choice depending on your musical taste, hearing range, and synergy with your other stereo equipment.

At first you will probably like the DAC>amp, as it may sound "more detailed" but after your brain adjusts to the DAC alone you will hear the flaws and can more prudently compare the pros and cons of all the options if you give it time.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2023, 07:35 pm »
  Well stated Rich. The bottom line try it both ways. You will then know the answer. Trust dem ears.

charles

snowblind

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2023, 03:47 am »
So if you normally listen at -30 or louder then you can use Gustard alone with no penalty.

But you may still prefer the sound of the preamps in the signal path anyway. Every component changes the sound in some way, and active preamps are often essential to the musicality of the system. The preamps may have better remote control, or better bass slam, or smoother treble, etc.

Well put richidoo.

@gammi - It's important to consider not just "volume" in the digital path but also voltage in the analog.

The Gustard will have a voltage sweet spot somewhere in the middle of it's volume output, let's call that "G". The preamp will have a voltage sweet spot on the INPUT that may or may not be a good match for "G".

The preamp then has an OUTPUT voltage sweet spot, (often a lot wider than the voltage sweet spot of the source component). Let's call that "P". The amp will have a voltage sweet spot on the INPUT that may or may not match "P". Let's call that "A". Then the whole equation is affected by the load the speaker is putting on the amp.

So, the "best" sound will come from balancing the relationship between "G", "P", "A", your speakers, and the volume levels you care the most about. This is why every system is unique and some components just don't play well together. :-)

Best,
Matt