Coronavirus scams - don't open any attachments from World Health Organization

WGH

If you are working from home you are probably getting a lot more emails from work and colleagues. Take a good look at who sent the email along with grammar and typo errors before opening any attachments, it's probably fake. Better yet buy Malwarebytes Premium with real time monitoring, it may save your butt and be the best $39.99 you ever spent. I have used it for years and wouldn't be without it. Malwarebytes is designed to be used along with your favorite anti-virus and firewall software.

The Malwarebytes blog has important information this week, it is all about staying safe while working from home. I have noticed a lot more email attachments, of course I haven't opened any, I'm not even tempted. Here is why:

Cybercriminals impersonate World Health Organization to distribute fake coronavirus e-book
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social-engineering/2020/03/cybercriminals-impersonate-world-health-organization-to-distribute-fake-coronavirus-e-book/

Coronavirus scams, found and explained
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/scams/2020/03/coronavirus-scams-found-and-explained/

Security tips for working from home
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/how-tos-2/2020/03/security-tips-for-working-from-home-wfh/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I'm piggy backing on the above notice because I received a bogus PayPal email today. I immediately suspected it was bogus from the content. The email address was the clincher. Watch out, folks.

Here is the content:

[The email address was: 63h41fpunla4@us2465727.com]

PayPal is looking out for you
At PayPal, your security is a top priority. we’ve taken extra precaution to confirm that your PayPal account is secure and have assigned your account with a temporary limited.
You will need to restore your account to re-access your PayPal account.

To restore your account:

1. Click "Log In Now." In the below section.

2. Follow the steps to restore your PayPal account.

Once you’ve done this, your PayPal account will be restored immediately. If you have any questions about your account, please contact us.

Sincerely,

PayPal

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Iam surprised you guys open spam emails or email from unknow senders, I really dont understand it :scratch:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Agree. Anything of any kind that is from a known place I actually deal with I do not open the message instead via a Google search or my own tab to check. NEVER open the message.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Iam surprised you guys open spam emails or email from unknow senders, I really dont understand it :scratch:

FRM,

Your reply suggests to me that you assume too much without checking with us. I use PayPal. The SPAM email arrived in the correct email account. There was nothing in the subject line to arouse suspicion. Once I opened the email, I realized it was SPAM, so I sent it to the SPAM folder. I never clicked on a link nor did I follow the instructions in the email hence no harm down.  :dunno:

Elizabeth, I'm not sure I understand your comment. Did you intend to type "email from a known place" or "email from an unknown place"? If it's the first, you never open any email without first checking Google.

How could either of you know if an email from PayPal is suspect if you have an account using that email address? PayPal regularly sends emails to me for updates, monthly statements, money in, money out, etc. The subject line in my email appeared (still appears!) legit.  :scratch:

Peace....stay well.

Michael

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Lots of bad characters out there. Jut use good sense. This is not rocket science.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
An alert from email provider:
Please be aware that there are currently more and more corona-related spam and phishing emails in circulation – and don’t be lured in by fake offers for face masks or disinfectants.

mresseguie: as you know your email address already in the data base of these scammers, dont delay in close this email and open a new one.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2020, 06:43 am by FullRangeMan »