Welcome! - The Vinyl Circle

stevoz

Re: Welcome! - The Vinyl Circle
« Reply #80 on: 14 Dec 2016, 08:17 am »
I'm new around these parts but this looks like a place that I might really fit in.
Welcome VinylRob, from another newbie! :thumb: You'll fit in...... :D

GentleBender

« Reply #81 on: 14 Dec 2016, 03:08 pm »
Glad to have you both here Stevos and VinylRob. You will find a ton of topics and opinions to discuss here in AudioCircle with mostly respectable folks.  :green:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #82 on: 19 Dec 2016, 01:29 am »
Welcome Stevos and VinylRob. Lots of good folks hang out here. If you like rock n roll, check out P'mans Rock n Roll thread.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #83 on: 29 Jan 2017, 07:56 am »
Welcome Stevos and VinylRob. Lots of good folks hang out here. If you like rock n roll, check out P'mans Rock n Roll thread.

Laura,  Leaving over the right to petition the government?  Why should a ..... well you know the drill or is it metal? 
Back to basics, lead the charge.  While we're at it - throw greenpeace under the waves.  It's about r e s p e c t rule of law.
neo

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #84 on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:42 pm »
Welcome all!

New'ish requirements at AudioCircle require this sticky...but, the welcome mat has been out to all active, returning and inquiring vinylphools for some time.

Each circle tends to take on it's own 'lilt' based on the activities of participants and moderator(s) alike. I see this circle as a place where there are no 'stupid' participants, questions or experiments.  We're all on a road together - each of us with our share of foibles, expertise, and aptitudes - let's enjoy the ride in its entirety.

I was tapped as Moderator a few years ago by member Josh K., who at the time was inactive in vinyl and was looking for a more active participant.  I had just returned to vinyl after 4 of my most miserable years of music listening ever - exclusively with compact disc.  I tried and failed and was tortured by digi-titus for 4 years :cry:

Clearly, digital has improved dramatically and at quite reasonable prices the past few years....but, there is nothing as alluring as dropping a needle on a well cleaned record and playing it for me.  As good as digital has gotten - vinyl continues (at this writing) to reign supreme.  I suspect my time as caretaker of this hallowed circle will pass the day I feel otherwise. 

As one's hearing acuity is lessened as we age no matter how well you take care of yourself...that day may one day occur.  But, for now, vinyl reigns supreme when my system goes on. 

Come one, come all - all questions are entertained here - please let our team or dedicated vinylphools answer your needs or sympathize in your vinyl plight (we have ALL spent some time in vinyl hell, I assure you :wink:).  Whether the questions has to do with 'synergy', turntable or cartridge selection, record cleaning, more arcane stuff like capacitive and resistive loading and the like - your posts will be fielded successfully here. 

Don't forget to peruse the archives for years of discussions that might relate to your needs...it's a great resource to have around :thumb: 

Regards, John / TheChairGuy

I am just musing over John's introduction.  My school won the NCAA March Madness last week.  John's school won last year.  He was a senior when 'Nova won for the first time.  His school closed the next day in 1985 for partying.  Mine did not.  We are the same age.  Just feeling nostalgic when we had good discussions here about all the little tweaks.  Plasticlay, anyone? :D

I miss you, John, aka the Chairguy.  God rest your soul and your bandana. :angel:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #85 on: 15 Apr 2019, 05:43 pm »
"Plasticlay, anyone?"  shouldn't that read "Plasticlay, everyone!"   JohnTCG is still missed, but I'd like to add that you've done a fine job in his stead.  Thanks, and keep up the good work. 

Mgarcia80

« Reply #86 on: 28 Feb 2020, 08:55 am »
Vinyl junkie here from Chicago.  Currently own 5 turntables including an empire 398g, AR-XA, Lenco l75, music hall mmf-5 and a marantz tt15s1.  Looking forward to learning and sharing.

FreddyJ

« Reply #87 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:28 pm »
Vinyl newbie here. Reading lots and getting up the courage to take the plunge. Seen some great threads so far. Looking forward to reading more.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #88 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:51 pm »
Welcome,

If there is any good thing that comes from the current stay home situation, it is that we have a lot of time to dig into vinyl experiences -- cleaning, rearranging, tweaking and listening to vinyl with a glass of your favorite beverage in hand.  :wine: :beer:

soundhound

« Reply #89 on: 6 May 2020, 04:42 pm »
Hi,
I am in Nashville, Tn. and have been an avid vinyl collector for the past 45 years.  I look forward to hearing the experiences of other vinyl fans and hopefully contributing to this circle.

Bob

Devilscucumber

« Reply #90 on: 7 May 2020, 02:51 am »
Hi,
I'm in New Zealand, currently in Covid Lockdown, catching up on a bit of audio maintenance while I have the time.
Realised my stereo arm on my main rig a Garrard 401 with Tecnoarm A and Ortofon MC25FL was beginning to pick up motor noise and starting to distort, at well over 1000hrs, so no surprises, pulled out my spares I'd been hoarding for a rainy day. Anyway I have an old Origin Live OL1 which needed the wires put back in (lord only knows why the previous owner pulled them out?) and a Denon DL103. Discovered that the cartridge tags were missing, and not wanting to cannibalise a good set from a SME/Technics headshell I found some scrap copper sheet and manufactured some new ones (tell me why solder does not want to stick to copper sheet?). Long story short 2 days later I finally got everything working including a copper plate above the Denon 103 to add some mass, found some sparse well recorded female vocal (Emel) and wow, sounds pretty good.

drdarkfish

« Reply #91 on: 9 Oct 2020, 06:39 pm »
Hey there all,

Just joined the Circle. My focus is on spinning disks :) I've accumulated a good collection of 700+ vinyl.

I'm a moving coil guy and take my setup pretty seriously (so says my bank account ad little to the knowledge of my wife)...  :o

Looking forward to chattin to ya'll

jdbrian

« Reply #92 on: 31 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm »
Hi folks

I sold my last turntable in 2010. Here I am today, waiting for a Technics SL1500c to arrive. I jumped on the digital bandwagon early, and it took me a long time to get the sound quality I have now. But something is missing. For me that something has to do with the way digital music is being distributed today. Downloading a file is just not tactile like shopping for a record, or even a CD. Streaming leaves me cold. I can’t get into it, even though it should be a musical paradise. To me it is more like being left in a library of books and not being able to decide what to read. And the amount of computer and other complications, VPNs, servers and all the software and hardware issues that go along with them are just starting to hollow out my experience of listening to digital music.
   So, I decided to dive back into analog again. I want to explore some of the music I missed the first time around. The Beatles, for instance, were off my radar completely. I was just a bit too young to experience the band and have never got around to buying any Beatles music on CD. So now I plan to explore a lot of great music in the original format.
   I have already purchased a dozen records, a couple new ones and the rest pre owned jazz and classical. I notice that at least in this market you can find a lot of jazz and classical records in great shape for much less than “popular” music. I saw a beat up Dire Straits album, their first one, selling for twice what a lot of classical or jazz records in great condition sell for. I love that album, but I will pay a bit more for a new remastered one. Shopping for records is a blast!
    So, why the 1500c? I found a great deal on a barely used one. It gets good reviews, has pretty good isolation for an unsuspended table and with the removable headshell it is easy to upgrade cartridges. It will do for a start, and we will see how this goes. If I am enjoying myself I will want to upgrade before too long.
Looking forward to reading some of the threads in this forum and contributing what I can.
Happy Listening
Brian, in Nova Scotia, Canada

johan.pretorius

• Instagram feed - qoolpix.music
« Reply #93 on: 26 Jul 2023, 01:25 pm »
New to this circle, and to AudioCircle (although I've joined in 2020).

Got back into vinyl some 5 years ago after getting rid of my turntable and records in the early 90s.  My current setup includes a Thorens TD 135/II (Trudy) and a Thorens TD 124/II (Jackie), used in rotation (no pun intended).  I also have a Garrard 301 grease bearing project. but that will take some time to complete. 

Hoping to take part in many more threads and discussions here.

Circlotron

« Reply #94 on: 20 Aug 2023, 10:14 pm »
Yup, Me new here too. Built my own DAC to use with Foobar on a PC yet 99% of the time I put on an LP. Hello !

Cmdc

• Vinyl. Tubes. OB and single driver speakers.
« Reply #95 on: 1 Oct 2023, 01:38 pm »
New to this circle and to AudioCircle.  I listen primarily to vinyl. I’m a fan of vintage tables generally, and Thorens tables particularly, with 4 tables in active use at the moment and another three sitting around asking me what I plan to do with them next. I run both MC and MM carts. I prefer the sound of the MCs and the trouble free nature of the MMs. And generally use tubes throughout my systems of late. As with most folks, I tend to think my taste in music is pretty wide ranging; whether that’s quantitatively true or not, who can say.