King Lear - Anthony Hopkins, BBC/Amazon

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
King Lear - Anthony Hopkins, BBC/Amazon
« on: 5 Jan 2019, 08:14 am »
Just finished watching this.  Loved every minute of it.  They made cuts and really created a tight, action packed movie out of this play.  The modern setting was great, and the cinematography was excellent.

The performances are what sets this one apart - everyone brought their A game and that made it all the more compelling.  To focus on Hopkins, he plays Lear like a man that is truly insane.  Maybe even a bit of Parkinson's too.  It really shifts the tone of the film. 

Normally in Lear you get the sense that the oldest 2 daughters are conniving schemers and that Lear is a bit of a victim (more sinned against than sinning), but in this version Lear's a right bastard and these 2 daughters are likely products of a pretty horrible home life.  Oh, they are still quite vicious, but are more nuanced than in other versions.

As a viewer, you're left in the quandry of knowing that clearly the state is in bad shape with those 2 in charge, but in many respects it's even worse with Lear who's pretty much a madman.  There's no real answer that's viable.  And of course it wouldn't be Shakespeare if everyone didn't suffer enormously and/or die tragically.  I love the bleak old bastard.

PS, one nice feature of watching it on Amazon - you can turn on the subtitles.  I strongly recommend doing it, the dialog is way too intricate and spoken too rapidly to catch it just via audio.  I say that as someone that's very familiar with this play, and also who has $20k planar magnetic speakers.  Trust me, the subtitles are a blessing.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: King Lear - Anthony Hopkins, BBC/Amazon
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2019, 09:38 pm »
Watched this again with a friend and it held up just as well on a 2nd viewing.  Hell, maybe even better the 2nd time around.

Charles Calkins

Re: King Lear - Anthony Hopkins, BBC/Amazon
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2019, 10:00 pm »

Tyson:
          I just finished watching "The Aviator" on a bluray disc. Hell of a darn good movie.
          Anthony Hopkins Has been in a lot of great movies. If he is in a movie it'll be great.
          Might have use the brain to enjoy it. BOOHOO!! That leave me out.

Cheers
                                                Charlie