REW help - it's been a couple of years

Big Red Machine

REW help - it's been a couple of years
« on: 18 Dec 2019, 01:31 am »
I can't find any photos I should have of previous set-ups so I'm wading into the newer version of REW on Windows 10 on my newer computer. I can't decipher what to set the Preferences page to for the input and output devices. There is no way as I move the mic around the room that is measures flat and essentially identical so I'm probably not measuring the room at all with my set-up! :duh:

I am using the cal file for the EMM mic and made a new cal file for the soundcard.

So here is a run with the mic in a random location near my seat. Zero room treatments and no carpeting.

In the Preferences window you can select which input and which output device. This is confusing to me and gets entangled when you set your Sound in Control Panel. That's another question I have.

Not sure how to set the Sound on the computer as well wrt the speakers and microphone.

Big Red Machine

Re: REW help - it's been a couple of years
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2019, 01:38 am »
Is the EMM-6 considered a USB Mic in the drop downs, or is not a USB mic as mine is connected via XLR to a Xenex preamp

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:29 am »
If this is a Parts Express/Dayton Audio EMM-6 microphone from here:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone--390-801

Then it’s not a USB microphone. It’s phantom powered (needs a mic preamp) not USB powered. If I lived near you I would let you borrow my Cross Spectrum calibrated minidsp UMIK USB microphone. Easier to use and no need for a separate mic preamp.

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:33 am »
And:

https://www.avnirvana.com/resources/getting-started-with-rew-a-step-by-step-guide.19/

Now, with REW you can directly connect another USB port (designated as an “output”) directly to your USB input on your dac. No need to use the headphone output anymore and all the extra RCA splitter cables. And if you use a USB based microphone like the one I linked above then everything is USB based (both the REW signal generated goes out of one USB port and then what is measured by your USB microphone comes into another USB port). Makes life simple.

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:42 am »
Oh by the way, Dayton has a USB based microphone too, called the UMM-6.

See here:
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2019, 11:20 am »
I think the confusing part for me is the input and output settings in the Preferences. I've found housekeeping items like having the 48 khz checked if you used 48khz when making the cal files, etc. type of items. I feel like I get into a loop if I select the input and output to both be the soundcard versus default devices?!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2019, 10:42 pm »
Well, this is what I am getting. I know that the external mic is accepting signal. I am skeptical my untreated room actually looks like this.

How would I best display the reverb that is happening with all the surfaces untreated right now?

1/24th sweep

no smoothing sweep

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2019, 12:33 am »
change your scaling and you'll get what you think you would see = room needs A LOT of work.   ;)

X axis - 15 - 200Hz
Y axis - 5dB increments

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2019, 01:59 am »
There's only a zoom/magnifier function these days. Here's what an untreated room looks like with that scale corrected.

I can fix this! :o

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2019, 04:32 am »
change your scaling and you'll get what you think you would see = room needs A LOT of work.   ;)

X axis - 15 - 200Hz
Y axis - 5dB increments

Exactly.

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2019, 04:48 am »
There's only a zoom/magnifier function these days. Here's what an untreated room looks like with that scale corrected.

I can fix this! :o

No. There’s not just a zoom/magnifier function. REW’s updates didn’t make the product worse it is much better today than when you previously used it! On the right upper hand corner, there should be something that let’s you set the graph axis limits. I use it periodically. Set it like Jason suggests and it will be eminently clear how room modes are wrecking havoc in the <300Hz region as they always do. And it’s recommended to eliminate the smoothing so you can see the details.

Masterclass here:

https://youtu.be/-A8LjsOx6d0

How to adjust the graph (become an AV Nirvana member first to view it):

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/room-eq-wizard-rew-how-to-adjust-scale-of-graphs.4133/

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2019, 04:24 pm »
No matter how many times I try to set those axis settings they never hold so it is has not worked.

As far as the room goes, it is what it is that normal room treatments can alleviate and seat adjustments.