august meet

R_burke

august meet
« on: 26 Jun 2007, 06:14 pm »
PS, I look forward to hosting one in August if you guys are interested!!! 

I for one would love to hear your speakers  :thumb:

Berndt

Re: august meet
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2007, 01:51 am »
I split this thread so we could keep planning the august meet at Tuans seperate in regards to continuity.
I hope Tuan pops in soon with his requests for gear swapping?
Thanks, Bill

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2007, 05:53 am »
I split this thread so we could keep planning the august meet at Tuans seperate in regards to continuity.
I hope Tuan pops in soon with his requests for gear swapping?
Thanks, Bill

Bill, ok, here I am...
This is what I have, cyber series from Consonance.  The Cyber 800 mono blocks, the Cyber 222 Preamp, all tubes.  Diva Audio Virtuoso Phono pre with step up, VPI Scout with Shelter 501mkii, Marantz SA8260 sacd player, Sansui 217 tuner, Oppo 981 hd player and the GeerS eVe II DIY speakers.

I would love to hear other amps and sacd players....  My Marantz is old and would love to see/hear what other sacd player is out there for a good price.  Also, my cyber 800 are great!!! would love to see/hear them against others. 

So, those are my requests...All my cables are DIY except for PCs.  I would love to get some feedback / comparison on other RCAs vs my DIY, see how it sounds and what others think!!!

So, those are my requests...

Here's a link to my set up! http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=816

I am thinking perhaps the Saturday of 25th...will that work for y'all???

Tuan

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:39 pm »

Rick, I'd love to hear the Shanling in my system...would you bring that?
I think we should keep this as a CDP comparison??? and perhaps amps?
Tuan

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:47 pm »

Tuan

I'll be happy to bring the Shanling, assuming I get a pass from the boss   :oops:

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:48 pm »

Tuan

I'll be happy to bring the Shanling, assuming I get a pass from the boss   :oops:

Who's the "boss"??? Da WIFE?

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2007, 10:02 pm »

Tuan

Who's the "boss"??? Da WIFE?

Yup, whooped and lovin it  aa

GBB

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2007, 06:06 am »
. . . and the GeerS eVe II DIY speakers.

I would love to hear other amps .... 
So, those are my requests...
I am thinking perhaps the Saturday of 25th...will that work for y'all???

Tuan

Tuan,
Those are very impressive speakers you've built - nice work.  How much power do they need?  I'm asking because I've got some low power single ended amps that only put out 1-2 W.  I suspect that may not be enough but it would be interesting to give them a try anyway.  What do you think?
---Gary

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2007, 04:26 pm »
Gary, thanks for the adjective of "impressive" speakers..Well, they were a lot of work to get accomplished, with numerous hiccups in the process, but the finish product is something I am proud to say that I took a chance on this venture and built them...

In regards to the 25th's meeting, a couple of things here...who of you are interested in Vinyl???
I may have an opportunity to demo the Merrill-Scillia MS 2 turntable...is anyone interested in Vinyl???
If so, I can arrange it...This is only if you guys are into it...I know from last meeting at Bill's we were far from CDs as a digital front end, let alone vinyl.

Tuan

Rashiki

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2007, 05:33 pm »
In regards to the 25th's meeting, a couple of things here...who of you are interested in Vinyl???

I have no short term plans to invest in vinyl, but I'm very interested in listening to a nice setup.

-Rob

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2007, 06:04 pm »

I have no short term plans to invest in vinyl, but I'm very interested in listening to a nice setup.

-Rob

Rob, thanks for the feedback...I do have a scout table set up...
T

Berndt

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2007, 11:58 pm »
Love to hear the merrill.
So, how big of an amp do these speakers require?

Sonny

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:07 am »
Love to hear the merrill.
So, how big of an amp do these speakers require?

Bill, well, they need at least a good 150 wpc in SS gear, about 100wpc 4ohm, in tubes...
I've been driving them with the Cyber 800 mono and it seems to have enough juice and headroom....
Before we go on regarding this meeting, how many can actually make it on the 25th of August...

Regarding the Merrill, well, if there is enough interests, both in vinyl and the Merrill, I will arrange it, but if not, I won't bother Vinh at Norvinz to do so...

Thanks
Tuan

RAW

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:40 am »
Guy's
For your meeting would you mind if I sent Bill a pair of the OB2X for your meet.

I will pick them up from Bill on the way back from LA the last week in August.This will give you locals to Bill  a chance to get a listen to them.

LMK

Sonny

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2007, 03:21 am »
Guy's
For your meeting would you mind if I sent Bill a pair of the OB2X for your meet.

I will pick them up from Bill on the way back from LA the last week in August.This will give you locals to Bill  a chance to get a listen to them.

LMK

LMK,

I don't mind, however, the meet is not at Bills, so he would have to slep them over to my place, unless he is going to hold another meeting...

Bill???

T

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2007, 04:07 am »
No Iwas not saying he was but rather I know Bill and would just ship them to him for the meet.

Sonny

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2007, 04:09 am »
Al, I am up for it if Bill wants to bring them over!!!
Love to hear them!
Tuan

RAW

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2007, 04:12 am »
Will do.

Rashiki

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2007, 05:25 am »
I won't be able to attend on August 25th -- that's the day of my nephew's birthday party. His parties are always really elaborate affairs. Last year was a medieval theme, so I built a trebuchet (like a catapult) and wore armor and knighted all the kids. This year's theme is Star Wars and I've been cast as Darth Vader...

A pic from last year's party...

-Rob

Berndt

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2007, 09:05 am »
Going to miss you Rob.
Al, look forward to hearing your new OB iteration.
I guess we get a chance to have an evening together again?
Perhaps I could pester you for some ra8 cabs?
Sorry for the off topic.