From AC cords to AC filters

PinotBob

« on: 4 Aug 2003, 04:28 pm »
First, thanks to all who set me straight on AC power cords. I am leaning toward the CVH Flavor 2's.  :D

CVH is also selling a .47uF capacitor, which wires to the outlet terminals. This is supposed to act as a filter and quiet the AC noise.

I did a little homework and discovered that there are a few manufactured plug in types (audio prism, enacom, etc.) however they are a bit pricey (just under $100). Also they contain only a 0.1uF cap and it is recommended that you use more than one unit.

According to an article at Magnan Audio, the more capacitance the better and they give directions for DIY (50.0+uF).  :?:

Is this approach worthwhile? Has anyone used/constructed a device of this type? If so, what size cap(s) did you use?

PB

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2003, 05:34 pm »
I built a Jon Risch power strip, with chokes and filters in it.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=89_21&products_id=109

Result - dunno, but my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference, or my power was always clean. I now use this behind an isolation transformer to run power to my CD player, nothing else. Odyssey amps are stright in the wall plugs, no filters. Pre-amp is on its own smaller isotransformer without a filter.

There is a need for filtering, as I can visibly see on my TV tube whenever I power up the CD player (plugged into the same isolation transformer). Even thought he CD player is on a filter, I get a rather fuzzy picture once the CD powers up. I don't get that when the TV is on the other isolation transformer, where I usually keep my pre-amp.

One thing is for sure - even if the power that is coming into your building is relatively clean, your digital components may send out a lot of crap that you want to keep away from the pre-amp and if possible the power amps. That's why I am doubling up the A/C filter and a big 12amp isolation transformer in front of my CD player.

Peter