Components Used in Odyssey Speakers?

TheeeChosenOne

« on: 7 Jun 2003, 06:30 pm »
The Odyssey website has very little information on the speakers they offer.

Does anybody know what drivers, crossovers, designer background (it's some other guy other than Klaus I believe) are used?......

They sound amazing if you ever get a chance to listen to them.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2003, 06:35 pm »
If your talking about the Lorelies you spoke of in the other post, then it is the ScanSpeak Revelator 9700 tweator and a Scan Speak woofer (forget model #).

The designor is Rolf Gemein of Symphonic Line Fame.

Yes, very nice sounding speakers.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2003, 09:38 pm »
I must agree with the sound quality!  Very nice

Christophe35

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2003, 11:08 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm also interrested to know what self, capacitor and resistor are used in the crossover.

Christophe

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2003, 12:16 am »
Revelator huh?  Nice.  Yes, the Lorelies were very, very, very nice sounding indeed at HE 2003 yesterday.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2003, 03:15 am »
He's from Canada..that's about all I know.

Scott Faller of TNT audio webzine very much likes the bookshelves that Klaus sells.

Captain Humble

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2003, 11:38 am »
It’s my understanding that the Loreleis are Symphonic Line Legatos built by Klaus.  Alain Courteau builds the cabinets, ScanSpeak drivers and the crossovers come from Symphonic Line in Germany.

My Loreleis should ship end of month.  When I spoke with Klaus last week he said he has the cabinets but is waiting for the crossovers from Germany.

Can’t wait.  Though I’ve never heard them, I have high expectations based on reviews from a few forums and input from Marbles and Klaus.  It’s nice to know that TheeChosenOne and Woodsea liked them as well.  The synergy should be great with my Dual Monos since Rolf Gemein designed both pieces.

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2003, 06:22 pm »
Captain Humble,
The Loreleis is a gangbuster speaker!

For the price, it sounded alot better than my private audition of the highly-touted/hyped and similarly priced Tetra Kidd and Von Schweikert VR-2.....not to mention bettering the other speaker jewelry on display at the show that I also auditioned.

If it was $500 cheaper, that would be my "opportunity cost" to buy.

Captain Humble

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2003, 12:28 am »
TheeeChosenOne,
Thanks for the feedback on the Loreleis.  Your report sure has me grinning.   :D
Can't wait to break them in.

Hope you liked them as much on your second visit and are enjoying HE2003.

Jeff

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2003, 09:22 pm »
Hi David,

Thanks for the kind words here.  BTW,  How do you like the Nightingales ????

Anyway,  yes,  on the Lorelei we're using the Scan's  8545 Rev  and the 9700 tweeter.  Xover components are class A grade super heavy coils  and Musicaps  /  Sonicraft now as well.  Cabling is SL  and Quattro Ref.  Connectors are superb as well,  WBT like..  huge.  

With Alain's speakers,  the arrays are different,  of course.  However,  we use mostly DST's / Vifa,  Seas,  and the cabinetry is obviously MDF.  Cabling is either Quattro or other,  less expensive pure copper wiring.  With the book shelves,  drivers are TB,  which are also used in the Soliloquies,  I think.  Anyway, I like the way that Alain's speakers kind of mimmick the SL's  on a smaller scale.  Quite amazing that the sonic characteristics are so similar considering that they come from 2 different backgrounds.  Then again,  that's why I took on Alain's line in the first place,  because the bang for the buck is outstanding,  and they have a flawless musical flow with superb,  just superb sound staging.    Anyway,  keep posted because we now have several speaker pairs out for reviews,  and it should be a great year indeed,  hehehe.

Late,
Klaus

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2003, 04:00 am »
Hi Guys,

Quote from: Marbles
Scott Faller of TNT audio webzine very much likes the bookshelves that Klaus sells.

You bet I do :!:  So much so, these may not be going back (Marbles, I wonder if I can use your line you did with your Teres, "Honey, they were only a couple of hundred bucks").

Klaus gave me his old shop set to use in the speaker shootout I'm doing over at TNT. These are next up. Don't want to give away too much but these things kick some serious bootie for $600 bucks or so.

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2003, 12:49 pm »
Scott, use it as much as you like....just use it with caution :-)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2003, 06:27 am »
I`d like to hear more about these Nightingales, hopefully in an upcoming review. Ever since I saw a picture of this speaker in an Audio Circle thread a while back, the design of this artful speaker has been etched into my mind. 4 of these babies would make an awesome foundation for a home theater/concert hall system. Think Klaus would consider sending a pair of these around the country for an audition? :wink: Well, a guy can daydream can`t he? :roll: Regards, Robin

zzzone

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2003, 01:18 am »
I absolutely love my Lorelei's!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wrote a previous post where I was considering adding a sub. That has changed with the surroundings (new house) and positioning. Just got my source fixed today, (had 2 loose connections on the inputs) came home..plugged in...and oooooooohhhhhhh baby!!!!! Even better than before. (didn't think that was possible)

If it were me CHOSENONE, for the $500 bucks....I'd be walkin the highway with my green garbage bags strapped to my hip pickin up beer bottles to get these puppies. (IMHO)

Marbles

My impressions of the Lorelies
« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2003, 01:45 am »
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8535&highlight=lorelies

Shortly after doing this review I received a pair of Column 9.0's.

They behaved similar to the Lorelies in their tweeter response.

It took me a while to figure out what was happening with the drum 9.0's.
They were shooting the signal over my head, so I was off axis.  I put some 1/2" boards under the rear feet and the tweeters of both speakers, (using my memory of the Lorelies) sounded similar.  Since I've upgraded the internal speaker wires of the 9.0's, I would love to listen to the lorelies again to see if I think they still sound better and more involving.  For sure it will be much closer now and maybe I would prefer the 9.0's  :?:

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2003, 02:50 am »
Well, what can I say?  I love the sound of the Nightingales.

The soundstage width and delineation is fantastic.  Very live, forward, clean, crisp, non-fatiguing sound.  Very good bass response as well.

Their small footprint is also a WAF blessing.  The voicing of the rest of the line is pretty much the same with bass and dynamics sliding either way on the scale.

From the monitors all the way up to the Lorelies, I think anyone would be very, very hard-pressed to call them "wanting" at their respective price points.

Following in line with the great Odyssey/Klaus mission statement....you really get good value her folks!  :)