Marbles

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« on: 1 Mar 2003, 04:22 am »
Glad you guys have your own forum here!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2003, 04:36 am »
Excellent!  Welcome to Mr. Van Alstine.  It will be great to have the forum here, and I'm very interested in the AVA line, especially the Omegastare DAC & preamp.

This should be a great place to get the word out on a great lineup of products.

Pez

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2003, 05:44 am »
I listened to one of your older designs recently. I can't recall which model, perhaps Tyson will be kind enough to remind me.  I must say it was one of the best amps I have heard.  A big welcome to the site!

MaxCast

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2003, 12:25 pm »
Welcome to AC!  I am definitely looking forward to reading more about your products.

Woodsea

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2003, 01:51 pm »
Cool, I checked out your site after the Jman wrote you up.  Can't wait to read more.

JoshK

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2003, 04:22 pm »
A big welcome from me to!  I am seriously eye balling your transcendence DAC.

jackman

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2003, 04:40 pm »
I will be providing some feedback on another AVA item, the Longhorn Cartridge.  It's a modified Grado unit that has been dampened both internally and externally by Frank and Co.  I have no idea how it sounds but, according to AVA, it has been made and is being tested before shipping.  With 35 years of experience and a number of patents to his name, I figured Frank VA knows a little about how a cartridge is supposed to sound.  This thing looks a little strange with its wooden "horns" but I'm hoping it sounds good.  

Hopefully, this is the last piece to my analog puzzle.  I picked up a really nice VPI Jr. TT, with and Audioquest PT6 arm (upgraded wiring) and an Expressimo Heavyweight.  The table is very nice looking oak and is very large.   One day, after I build my Flexi (DIY!!!) rack, I'll post system pix.  Right now, I'm just enjoying my soon-to-be analog rig.  The AVA gear (pre/amp) has transformed my system.  I have spent much more time listening to music than writing about equipment...the strange thing is that I did not realize it until friends (you know who you are!) brought it to my attention.  Very strange. :o

J

LightninBoy

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2003, 08:04 pm »
Cool! I just stumbled upon VanAlstine info on the web and sounded very intriguing. Come to find out, he's practically my neighbor (I live in St. Paul MN).

Anyways, I'm very excited to see this forum and looking forward to reading more about Van Alstine products.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Congradulatons!
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2003, 07:09 pm »
I am very glad to see a forum for VanAlstine products.  I haven't met Larry, but did visit with Frank in MN a few years ago.  My family lives in Maple Grove & Zimmerman, so a trip to Franks wasn't a terribly long drive.  Visiting Frank was very educational, but I didn't have any of my own stuff to a/b with his.

Subsequently, I had the oportunity to a/b my Bryston 3B-ST with Kevin Becker's FET Valve.  I'd like to say that the two amps were close in performance, but they were only close in proximity.  The FET Valve was grain-free everwhere with NO loss of detail.  This difference might seem subtle to other folks, but it was not subtle to my ears.  I was very impressed with the FET valve.  I hope to visit Frank again this summer.  I'll be moving to Omaha so a trip to visit Mr. VanAlstine will be much easier.  This time I'll bring my speakers, and some other stuff too.

And... Larry, are you a VanAlstine too?

avahifi

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2003, 07:37 pm »
Hi:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  I'll be checking in often to answer any questions I can.  Frank will also be checking in occasionally and answering some questions.

Thanks Again!!!

Larry Jenkins

TheChairGuy

Welcome Frank and Larry!
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2003, 05:16 pm »
AVAHifi on Audio Circle..this kinda' snuck up on me!  Really, a big welcome.

I've 'heard' lots of great things about your gear, and look forward to REALLY hearing some great things from your products soon.

A warm welcome - teriffic to have you here.