DIY driver tweaks

Æ

Re: DIY driver tweaks
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2012, 06:24 pm »
Alright, I was right either way!  :green:

Thanks Dave.  :thumb:

Yes, either way is acceptable, but one way makes more sense technically speaking.

I really hate it when people say subsonic when it should be infrasonic, or supersonic instead of ultrasonic.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2012, 06:35 pm »
I believe "dampening" is the usage more common in the British Empire.

Æ

« Reply #42 on: 23 May 2012, 06:42 pm »
I believe "dampening" is the usage more common in the British Empire.

Humor or Humour?
Gray or Grey?

Tea time.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2012, 06:59 pm »
No reason to call it dampening, when you are educated enough to know what damping is.

Or if your are educated enuff to know that there are synonyms or alternate spellings, use the one that suits you best. I prefer to have a "u" in colour (but not always) and use both aluminum & aluminium. I will also switch from imperial to metric in the same sentence.

I don't think Danny falls into the "not educated enough" pigeon hole.

dave

ejfud

« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2012, 09:38 pm »
Educated and the internet? Weird combo. The Internet where opinions often get confused for facts.

I was skeptical of the dots, but on A/B test of two pairs of Jordan drivers the soundstage changed a fair amount. Thought it lost a little sparkle on the high end though.

Æ

« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2012, 11:04 pm »
EnABLing my Fostex F200A drivers made a very noticable (subjective) difference.  Real research involves postulating, testing assumptions, and keeping an open mind.  The rest are welcomed to join the flat earth society.  (I'm a licensed engineer who is not a proponent of technology for it's own sake or because it's cool/fun.)

Subjective yes. But did it really make them sound better? Some people equate different as better, are you one of those people?

ejfud

« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2012, 11:18 pm »
I never expressed an opinion one way or another in my post. Just stated my experiences.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2012, 12:56 am »
But did it really make them sound better?

One of the definitions of better is the ability to transmit/preserve more information (Julian Vereker). In that sense EnABLed drivers are better.

FR is going to tell you little... that is like looking at the surface of a body of water. EnABL is working to dredge  the mud off the bottom so you can explore deeper.

dave
« Last Edit: 24 May 2012, 10:11 am by planet10 »

Æ

« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2012, 01:06 am »
One of the definitions of better is the ability to transmit/preserve more information (Julian Vereker). In that sense EnABLed drivers are better.

FR is going to tell you little... that is like looking at the surface of a body of water. EnABL is working to dredge  the mud off the bottom so you can explore deeper.

dave

dave

dave

dave

I wasn't asking you.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2012, 01:08 am »
I agree. Feel free to have a look at my test results and please let me know if there is still something I may have overlooked that could show some difference that the dots can make.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59575.0

I wouldn't question your experience or qualifications in this area, just that true science questions all and assumes nothing.  Seems to me your mind was made up before hand.  Unfortunately science is taught today as something to be accepted and memorized as a series of facts, not an open minded investigative method.  We have so much to be thankful for from science/technology, its easy to fall into this comfortable trap.

Æ

« Reply #50 on: 24 May 2012, 01:11 am »
I wouldn't question your experience or qualifications in this area, just that true science questions all and assumes nothing.  Seems to me your mind was made up before hand.  Unfortunately science is taught today as something to be accepted and memorized as a series of facts, not an open minded investigative method.  We have so much to be thankful for from science/technology, its easy to fall into this comfortable trap.

So, some guy writes up a long paper and then patents his idea. Doesn't make it fact.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2012, 02:54 am »

I am always open minded about this kind of stuff now. I have been surprised by stuff like this in the past. So I was really trying to find something.

I ask you then. What is it that you think the dots might be achieving that would result in an audible difference?

aec

« Reply #52 on: 17 Aug 2022, 03:09 pm »
I just hate it when someone says 'box' as opposed to properly calling it an enclosure.
When someone says box, I think of cardboard. . . literally.

are you listening to it everyday?or just prototype?