Upgrade from DA-1 to 1.1

mca

Upgrade from DA-1 to 1.1
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 10:17 pm »

What is the difference between the two? Can the DA-1 be upgraded?

I live just outside Seattle so I can always make a trip up North if they can be upgraded.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: Upgrade from DA-1 to 1.1
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 10:35 pm »
there was a huge change from the DA-1 to the DA-1.1.  The drivers, wiring posts, and crossovers are all different as well as internal mid compartment and bracing. So there is no way to upgrade a DA-1 to the current  DA-1.1, the best I can do is to upgrade the wiring and some of the internal tweeks for $1,000 for the pair. I tried to make this change ok for my customers by giving them a substantial discount if they wanted to buy the new model or the Ulysses, this seemed to work well and a lot of people got great deals on used DA-1's!

thanks,
Lou

JCC

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2009, 04:15 pm »
I had my DA-1's rewired by Lou and the improvement was significant. The highs and midrange are a quite a bit better. So, if you don't want to spring for the DA-1.1, I can recommend the wiring upgrade.

mca

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2009, 04:26 pm »
Doing some research, I guess my speakers were upgraded to the final spec for the DA-1, but they don't have the current wire and posts. I don't know if that means the drivers and crossover have been upgraded or not. Lou?

Also curious what type of wire and posts are used in the upgrade?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2009, 12:07 am »
Doing some research, I guess my speakers were upgraded to the final spec for the DA-1, but they don't have the current wire and posts. I don't know if that means the drivers and crossover have been upgraded or not. Lou?

Also curious what type of wire and posts are used in the upgrade?
there was a slight crossover change early on which is the upgrade you're referring to, it doesn't have the wire upgrade I mentioned. The drivers are correct for that model (DA-1), but when doing the wire upgrade I do tune the drivers.  The wire is from Bolder Cable and the posts are Cardas.

thanks,
Lou