..our forum is deader than disco so..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..our forum is deader than disco so..
« on: 10 Dec 2019, 04:39 pm »
..thought I’d try and post something you guys may find somewhat interesting.  Several years ago Albert built me a pair of custom desktop speakers for me.  They’ve got a fabric done tweeter and a 6” bass driver.  They’re biwireable and weigh a ton likely because he employed his famous triple wall deadening.  They’re being driven by an Emotiva pre that I bought on eBay and a PS Audio HCA-2 amp.  This component stew sounds way better than you can imagine.  I’ve played DSD FLAC files thru it and the sound just makes you shake your head, it’s that good.

Photos to come..

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2019, 12:13 am by es347 »

SundayNiagara

Re: ..our forum is deader than disco so..
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2019, 08:15 pm »
Dead is an understatement. VSA need to get back to building affordable speakers that LOOK like they came from VSA. I'm sure the Endeavor products are good, but look  like any number of British-made speakers. :(

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2019, 09:43 pm »
Amen. While I love seeing the million dollar systems at the shows there are VERY few people who can afford a system like that, and even fewer of them posting on AC. I'd like to see Von Schweikert with a second smaller room with Vortex Acoustics or Unifield speakers and some nice mid-range electronics. And I also agree the Endeavor speakers look like they came from Revel, PSB, or any one of half-a-dozen other speaker manufacturers.

Martin

Still loving my VR-4 Gen III HSE  :D

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2019, 09:53 pm »
Amen. While I love seeing the million dollar systems at the shows there are VERY few people who can afford a system like that, and even fewer of them posting on AC. I'd like to see Von Schweikert with a second smaller room with Vortex Acoustics or Unifield speakers and some nice mid-range electronics. And I also agree the Endeavor speakers look like they came from Revel, PSB, or any one of half-a-dozen other speaker manufacturers.

Martin

Still loving my VR-4 Gen III HSE  :D

Their first year at Capitol Audio Fest, they had a smaller system. Now, all we see is static displays.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:39 am »
Those computer speakers look killer.   

As to this forum being dead, I rarely remember to check in because it no longer appears prominently  on the circles page.   Now a semi-hidden forum that one must search for. 

bentknee

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2019, 05:00 pm »
  Von Schweikert has moved upscale with their product line. Any company must do what they feel necessary to continue in business. In the past Albert came up with some clever designs at very affordable prices. At this time that is not the direction the company is going. I understand that I will never own a VR11 and that's okay because what I have now is wonderful.
  It has been some time since I have seen someone post on this forum that they bought a new speaker. There is another forum where people are posting about their new Von Schweikert speakers. For us mere mortals the speakers and systems they are buying are way out of what we can afford. I am not jealous of them. I hope they enjoy their systems as much as I do mine.
  Things in life have a lifecycle. Maybe this forum is heading toward the end of it's useful life. I hope I am not out of line in suggesting that we move to the Von Schweikert forum on the Whats Best forum. Gavin is already a member of that forum and their is an active Von Schweikert forum. I understand that Whats best is more upscale but I have not seen anyone put down who would like to talk about less expensive audio.This is only a suggestion and whatever happens I hope all will enjoy their times of relaxation and enjoyment of their favorite music.
  Blessings to you all, Bob

respected_net

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2019, 07:26 pm »
I have the excellent sounding Endeavor E-3 Mk2 for about 5 years now.  Love those speakers and the VR-4jr Mk2's before that.  Agreeing with everyone here that VSA should be building more affordable speakers, so I get a chance to upgrade.  As of now, I can't afford to upgrade to the $60k VR-55's, and I really don't want to switch to a different speaker brand because I love the VSA sound. 

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2019, 12:12 am »
..the Endeavor line both 3s and 5s are getting some good press

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2019, 03:23 am »
I own essentially vintage Von Schweikert speakers.  Original VR-4 with the VR-5/7 upgrade, the rare VM-2 bookshelf speakers, and a VR-35 center channel.  Both the VR-4 and VM-2 were built in Watertown, NY.     I still love my VR towers, it is highly unlikely that I will ever change them out in my main system until they die from a flood or fire.   I've had them for 22 years.  The VM-2 are okay, nothing special - very clear if bass-light.  Nice with a subwoofer.  The VR-35 is a very competent center channel. 

I'm sure I'll never purchase another VS-branded speaker, not on my retirement income.   Unlikely to purchase a new Endeavor either, just based on pricing.   I might consider it if I had the money. 

I consider myself to be really fortunate to have such a great sounding system at this point in my life.   Otherwise I'd be sorting through speakers which don't sound nearly as nice, trying to pick the best I could afford.

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2019, 01:44 pm »
es347, congrats on having such a unique pair of VSA speakers!

I've been remiss myself in not participating here, but as I agree about the Endeavors, I should mention I bought a pair of the new Endeavor SEs. In the Endeavor line they go between the E-3 Mk.2 and the E-5. In my many opportunities to hear this range of VS speakers (along with the big boys of course), IMO the new E SE is a more musically satisfying speaker than the E-5, but that's just my opinion. I've been putting hours on them as they arrived only about a month ago. For prices that I've been able to consider (and even a bit beyond) in 35 years I hadn't heard a pair of speakers that could replace my beloved Shahinians (a rather unique prototype pair). When I heard the E SEs I knew I found a pair of speakers that I could buy that would stay with me for hopefully as long a time. Pics forthcoming.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2019, 06:04 pm by tonyptony »

hi5harry

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2019, 04:20 pm »
A long time ago, I had an audiophile get together BBQ and tunes. I had my main system sounding pretty good. But downstairs, in my weight room, I was stashing an old pair of Von Schweikert VR8's I was lucky enough to buy the week before. Well, you know audiophiles. They hooked them up to an old Adcom receiver , cheap cables, and an old cd player I had lying around. The sound was glorious from the start! Half the group lost interest in my main system! A bunch of audiophiles, sitting on uncomfortable benches, or worse, having a great time spinning cd's they brought, having WAY TOO MUCH FUN! Von Schweikert speakers have an emotional attachment factor that is really exciting.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2019, 10:05 pm »
..great story hi5harry.  There is truly something special with Albert's creations.  I started out with the VR4 Sr MkIIs then moved up to the VR5 Anniversary MKIIs.  Both are wonderful speakers.  The new Ultra line is glorious to be sure.  I’ve heard the U11s twice now and spent an afternoon in Greg Weaver’s room listening to a pr of Ultra 9s he had on loan for a review...fantastic.  Albert is pretty much retired and Damon is now the CEO and Leif Swanson would be the chief design engineer.  Albert still consults especially on crossover designs (Damon and Leif please jump in here and correct me as needed).  I’m very impressed with the direction VSA has taken in the past few years.  Well done guys!

SundayNiagara

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2019, 11:57 pm »
A long time ago, I had an audiophile get together BBQ and tunes. I had my main system sounding pretty good. But downstairs, in my weight room, I was stashing an old pair of Von Schweikert VR8's I was lucky enough to buy the week before. Well, you know audiophiles. They hooked them up to an old Adcom receiver , cheap cables, and an old cd player I had lying around. The sound was glorious from the start! Half the group lost interest in my main system! A bunch of audiophiles, sitting on uncomfortable benches, or worse, having a great time spinning cd's they brought, having WAY TOO MUCH FUN! Von Schweikert speakers have an emotional attachment factor that is really exciting.

A great speaker system. :)

mhconley

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2019, 12:23 am »
I have several very memorable stories that revolve around Albert and his wonderful speakers.

The first is from the first time I met Albert. He was showing his then new Unifield 3 speakers at the 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Albert had invited me to provide audio racks for his and Channel Island's rooms. His room had a Moscode 402Au driving the Unifield 3's. The sound was magical. I took Albert and George out to dinner that first night while we left the system playing to break in the essentially new speakers. We ate dinner at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse where George Kaye sat in on stand-up bass with a jazz trio playing in the bar. When we got back to the room after dinner Albert was pleasantly surprised at the bass emanating from those diminutive Unified 3's. We figured out the spotlights he had sitting about 3' away lighting the speakers from below had warmed the woofer surrounds enough to increase the bass output. I remember sitting around after hours listening to those speakers; I had never heard anything like them. Needless to say the spotlights stayed on all weekend.

The second was at the 2010 RMAF where I again showed my racks with Albert's speakers. That is where I first met Damon; he and his online gaming buddies were helping setup the room. It is also when I first met Cor Dekker. He had a pair of VR-35 Exports being powered by a Kronzilla amp in one of the tower rooms. I vividly remember sitting in a vestibule off the main room listening to the system playing in the next room. Cor was playing a track off Wende Snijders' Chante! album and it sounded as if she and a real piano were in the room around the corner. Just magical. Albert, Cor and I shared dinner and great conversation late Friday night at P.F. Chang's, the only place we could find open.

The third was in my home with my beloved VR-4 Gen III HSE. I bought them gently used about 4 years ago from a consignment shop in Clearwater. I was playing some track by the Punch Brothers at a decent volume when a pizza delivery driver rang. I got up to answer the door just out of sight of my system. As I was signing the check the driver asked if I had a live band in the next room. I answered no, that I was listening to my stereo. He leaned in, saw the system and stated that he was surprised to hear sound so realistic coming out of a stereo.

The last was at the inaugural Florida Audio Expo in Tampa just last February. I went with my 15 year old son hoping to catch up with Albert and ended up catching up with Damon for a couple of minutes. He mentioned that Albert was taking a less active role in the company. Anyway, Von Schweikert was debuting a beautiful deep burgundy pair of their new Ultra 55 speakers with $600,000 worth of electronics (not counting the Master Built Ultra cables throughout) in The Audio Company's room. Michael Fremer hosted a listening party that was scheduled for about an hour but went on for over two. He played vinyl and needle drops of some of his favorite vinyl recordings including Blue Indigo from Duke Ellington's Masterpieces by Ellington and side two of the RL master of Led Zeppelin II. His anecdotes and comments were wonderful to hear. The system was absolutely mesmerizing. My son even mentioned how much he liked the recording of Mood Indigo.

Martin

walterslw

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2019, 02:34 pm »
I too have several memorable memories of VSA speakers that started in the late 90s after graduating from University.   My dorm / apartment system was decent which consisted of ProAc Super Tablettes, a Rotel integrated amp, Onkyo cassette deck, and a CD player also from Rotel.    Once I started a real job in '96 making decent money the most important thing for me was to upgrade the stereo.  I started with Von Schweikert VR 3's which in Canada listed for around $2400 at the time.   I remember hearing both the VR 3's and original VR4s, but the 4's were out of my $$ back then.  IMHO VR3's crushed many other speakers that the dealer sold from other brands well into the $4+K price range.   Much of my equipment changed, but I owned and cherished the VR3s for almost a decade.   I upgraded to the VR3.5s which were really mini VR5s (the original VR5s, and VR5 HSEs) which where one of my all time favorite VSA speakers.  I owned the VR 3.5s for another 10 years...  At RMAF 2013 I met up with Albert and Damon, and discussed with them if it would be worth shipping the 3.5s from Canada to SoCal to be upgraded.   I was pretty close to pulling the trigger, until I heard the VR5 Anniversary MK II at that same RMAF.  I was smitten!   Only problem is I couldn't swing the MSRP...  Spring time 2014 and an eager Leif who emailed me directly in response to a post I made... (THANK YOU Leif!).  He pretty much made me an offer I couldn't refuse as they found a few cabinets of VR5s that hadn't been assembled.    Albert himself hand tuned mine, and offered to do some extra special upgrades... This was before the launch of the VR 55, but I believe the design of the VR 55 was well on its way.  I just love the family feeling of Albert, Damon and now Leif.  Albert had remembered meeting me a decade+ prior out in London Ontario when he and Damon were road-showing the VR 6.  I was considering other brands back in 2014, but nothing I listened too drew me in to the music the same way that VRA speakers do.   I purchased the VR5s in late spring of 2014, and again much of my electronics have been upgraded, but this speaker keeps scaling up, it continues to draw me in like nothing else I have listened to.  I attended RMAF this year hoping to see the higher-end VSA line, but they were not there.  I would love to hear the uber-expensive VSA line, not because I can afford them, but to hear the amazing engineering work done by these guys.   I'm only 44 years old, and I either plan to die with my custom-tuned VR 5 Anniversary (which Albert dubbed the Mk 2.5), or if funds ever allow, an upgrade to the VR 55 (well not until our mortgage is paid off :) ).    As I believe others have penned on this forum, the VR5 II is a chameleon and scales-up with better electronics.    In June 2020 we will be finishing our basement!!  So instead of listening in an unfinished (albeit well damped) basement, the VR5s will get their own listening room.   I am super excited, and can't wait for the job to complete.   I am very happy for the success the VSA team has accomplished (it is well deserved!), and hope they can continue to innovate with speaker design.   Personally, I would love to see some of that innovation trickle down to real-world prices, but understand in a lower-volume business this may not be possible.

Albert ( please forward to him), Damon, and Leif - I want to thank you for what you do, and have created!   I am so lucky I was able to own the many VSA speakers that I have and own a speaker system as great as the VR5 Annis!   I feel that the emotional connection with music your speakers provide is unique in this industry.  I hope you all have a happy holiday and continued success!

Lou

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2019, 08:26 pm »
..it 2007, my wife and I visited a local dealer that represented Wilson.  They had a pr of WATT Puppy 8s driven by Krell Amps.  Peter McGrath was there that night as I recall and we were invited to sit in the sweet spot.  I can’t remember what music was playing but I was impressed initially but in a few minutes I wanted to get out of there pronto before my ears bled...ouch.  Back home I googled the Puppies and ran across a post where someone had compared the 8s to some speaker from a company called Von Schweikert.  Googling Von Schweikert I learned that the VR4 SRs were getting rave reviews.  In a lark I called the VSA factory and spoke with the man himself.  After a marathon phone conversation (anyone who’s been on the phone with Albert knows what I mean by that) I ended up ordering a pair of the VR4s.  Loved them but a year later moved up to the Annies and haven’t looked back.  Mine are IIs with the exception of the internal wiring being Analysis Plus.  Prior to going with VSA I’d run Martin Logan Aerius i’s.  They are now in our HT sporting new panels.  Electrostats are good but I’ve yet to hear a planar speaker that equals the VR5..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2019, 09:27 pm »
..it 2007, my wife and I visited a local dealer that represented Wilson.  They had a pr of WATT Puppy 8s driven by Krell Amps.  Peter McGrath was there that night as I recall and we were invited to sit in the sweet spot.  I can’t remember what music was playing but I was impressed initially but in a few minutes I wanted to get out of there pronto before my ears bled...ouch.  Back home I googled the Puppies and ran across a post where someone had compared the 8s to some speaker from a company called Von Schweikert.  Googling Von Schweikert I learned that the VR4 SRs were getting rave reviews.  In a lark I called the VSA factory and spoke with the man himself.  After a marathon phone conversation (anyone who’s been on the phone with Albert knows what I mean by that) I ended up ordering a pair of the VR4s.  Loved them but a year later moved up to the Annies and haven’t looked back.  Mine are IIs with the exception of the internal wiring being Analysis Plus.  Prior to going with VSA I’d run Martin Logan Aerius i’s.  They are now in our HT sporting new panels.  Electrostats are good but I’ve yet to hear a planar speaker that equals the VR5..

To e fair, at that time, Wilson was using the  Focal tweeter, which virtually everyone complained about. Get out and listen to some Wilson speakers now and I think you'll like them. I've heard the Alexia IIs with D'Agostino amps and there was no brightness at all. :)

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2019, 12:48 am »
..your reply implies i was being unfair..not at all.  Of course I’m aware of the metal tweeter Wilson used on the WATT puppies and I’m also aware of its non use now.  I’ve heard the Alexia 2 on multiple occasions and it’s an improvement but I’ve yet to hear a Wilson speaker that surpasses my VR5s sonically...my opinion..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:52 pm »
..your reply implies i was being unfair..not at all.  Of course I’m aware of the metal tweeter Wilson used on the WATT puppies and I’m also aware of its non use now.  I’ve heard the Alexia 2 on multiple occasions and it’s an improvement but I’ve yet to hear a Wilson speaker that surpasses my VR5s sonically...my opinion..

Based on pricing, a fair comparison would be the VR-55 vs Alexia II. Similarly priced. Pearson's Rule of Thirds applies here. :)

Charles Calkins

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2019, 12:23 am »

VR-33 is $3,750 a pair
   VR-35 MTII is 7,995 a pair.

I think these prices for excellent speakers is within the budget for us GOOFY!! audioholics.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie