Introducing myself

dcespeedy

Introducing myself
« on: 25 Jun 2022, 05:21 pm »
I have been an audiophile since I was around 14 when I actually heard a good stereo setup for the first time. Was too poor to purchase a setup for myself so I used to hang out in the local high end stereo store now and then just to listen to them demo the new equipment. I would read the audio magazines like Stereo Review, HI-FI and Audio, etc. Am I dating myself? Haha My wealthy friends had high end Kenwood, Pioneer, McIntosh, Klipsch Horns, etc. Spent a lot of time at their houses listening.

I started building simple speakers from Radio Shack drivers and purchased a Kenwood integrated amp that needed some repair and figured out how to fix it.

Never lost the bug and have recently built the GR-Research X-LS Encores with all the upgrades. I am working on the TDA7297 mono block pair now. After owning some very powerful amps and receivers I am finally realizing the beauty of a well build and matched low power tube or semiconductor amp.

So here I am, looking for great info and will hopefully be able to share with others what I learn.

Blackmore

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2022, 06:40 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2022, 07:37 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2022, 02:17 am »
After owning some very powerful amps and receivers I am finally realizing the beauty of a well build and matched low power tube or semiconductor amp.
Please note this fast project, this is the most purist SE amp I have seen so far, very promising if one have a hi gain pre.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179626.0

dcespeedy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2022, 05:25 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Just completed a stereo version of the TDA7297 with 9400uf of Nichicon capacitors and 1uf WIMA coupling caps. Even after a few hours of break in it sounds very good.

dcespeedy

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2022, 05:50 pm »
Please note this fast project, this is the most purist SE amp I have seen so far, very promising if one have a hi gain pre.

Thanks for the link! That looks like a great next amp. This would be a good next step because I am a beginner in AMP builds. I have some matched 2SK180 J-FETs which I purchased a while back to try some of the designs on DIY Audio. But the complexity is probably too much for me for now. I need more education before I go on to those.

I want to build some high efficiency open baffle speakers in the future to be able to use with these amps. For now the X-LS Encore's seem to be fine with >3 watts.

Just for info, I did complete an computer technician certificate in the 80's before going on to college for software. I wish I had paid more attention to the analog circuit classes more now. Haha. But at least I can use a soldering iron and know how to use my test equipment.  :)

dcespeedy

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2022, 06:22 pm »

My current preamp has +12dB gain and I have a tube headphone/pre amp that has +15dB. From the thread it looks like it needs more or a mod to the amp itself to add gain. But it's all fun and a learning journey. I have an old NAD preamp that isn't working but has a "high output" option for amps like this. Guess I need to fix it.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2022, 09:10 pm »
Please note the Mofo amp use a inexpensive 17/24V LapTop supply.

dcespeedy

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2022, 10:53 pm »
Please note the Mofo amp use a inexpensive 17/24V LapTop supply.

I saw that. I have so many of them I have saved from old laptops and they really work well. I am using an old 16v laptop PS to power the TDA7297 while one of my spare AGM lead/acid batteries is charging.
Thanks again

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm »
What would be the more reliable laptop supply?

dcespeedy

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2022, 02:23 am »
What would be the more reliable laptop supply?

The one I am using now is a Rockefish that is a BestBuy generic switch mode supply that I purchased a while back. I don't know if it is really good or it's because of the old Monster surge protector, conditioner I purchased in the early 2000's. But it is faithful and has 16v/4.7A. I have lots of old Compaq, Dell, HP and Lenovo power supplies. I think some of them are linear, but I have not test them yet for powering equipment.

Sorry I haven't used many of them yet. But as I get into this more I'm sure I will find out which ones are good to get if you can find them used. I will post the results in an appropriate thread.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2022, 02:40 am »
Nice, keeps us posted.
Appreciated  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2022, 03:29 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC dcespeedy   :thumb:

dcespeedy

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2022, 02:05 pm »