Triple 12" OB H-frames

Captainhemo

Triple 12" OB H-frames
« on: 11 May 2015, 03:25 am »
Not going to go into a lot of detail with this threasd as I've done the dual 12's here.
I'll just throw up a few pics as I go.

Laminated  5 panels up the other  day, 4 for the side panels and the extra one I'll cut the top plates from

4 panels are cut to a final size of 40.5" x 13.75".   A 3/4" x 1/2" dado is  run  vertically up the center (for the baffle) and a horizontal   3/4" x 1/2"  dado run 13"  from each end for the braces.  The baffle is  cut 40.5" x 14" then  the  11" cutouts routed.  8 braces are cut  14" x 6.5".   The 5th panel is cut to 13.75"   wide ,  I'll cut each top plate to approx 16.25"  to leave a bit of extra which  can be flush trimmed after glue up.

Still need to laminate up some bases.
Will get the first cabinet glued up tomorrow  and post a pic or two

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 04:38 am »
Jay,

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on dual vs triple 12's

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2015, 04:57 am »
Mike, 
don't really think there will be much of a difference in my room,  just not big enough and I don't  push my duals at all.  When we move them  up to my buddy Don's place,  I think  they are going to   be amazing as he's got a  very  big room, can't wait to  hear them up there .

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2015, 07:01 am »
Jay,

You are amazing. Lemme know when a house in the neighborhood comes up for sale. It's gotta have a room for dedicated HT/two-channel and a big backyard for my garden and fruit trees.

Kidding aside...your duals sounded fantastic the other day. They're going to haunt me for a long time. I'll bet Don's triples are going to be the best in the city.  :thumb:

Michael

Ron

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2015, 12:52 pm »
  Glad that you are doing the triple 12" OB H-frame build Jay. Anxious to see the construction progress and finished speakers. I know that you will do a great job with the build. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ron

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2015, 02:50 am »
Jay,

You are amazing. Lemme know when a house in the neighborhood comes up for sale. It's gotta have a room for dedicated HT/two-channel and a big backyard for my garden and fruit trees.

Kidding aside...your duals sounded fantastic the other day. They're going to haunt me for a long time. I'll bet Don's triples are going to be the best in the city.  :thumb:

Michael

Hey,  now there's an idea  !!  My aunt is a local realtor you know, just let me know when you're ready... better not forget the fenced backyard  for a pup   :lol:
glad you liked  the subs ,  they don't have to haunt you  ,  all you've got to do is build a pair .... think I heard somethying  that night about it being ok 

Thanks  Ron, appreciate it.  I'm not painting these,  Don is going to have them  professionally sprayed.  I think a coulor has been settled on but  I'll hold off until  they're done

Jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2015, 02:53 am »
Got the first one glued up after some real work....  had the dados pretty tight, really tight actually. Opened the next  set up a bit so it should go together much easier.

Have to make a trip to Vancouver for the day tomorrow so  will be Wed before any more  work  is done

jay
« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 05:59 am by Captainhemo »

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2015, 02:15 pm »
  Looking good Jay !   :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2015, 03:21 pm »
  Just heard the finished subs at our May Audiosyndrome meeting. Three per side with Rythmic plate amps and BG Radia FS880 [ discontinued] speakers. The bass IMO was the most tonaly accurate bass I ever heard period end of story.
   The weight ,slam and deeeeeep bass never was boomy or phasey. Stand up bass was near real. organ was out of bounds. So powerfull with tone. One could easilt discern the footpedals and note changes.
    No active crossovers, no high pass filter on amp. If you have room for subs just do it and you will be a very happy camper. KUDOS Danny, they are da bomb.

charles

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2015, 04:22 pm »
Eeeesh, you guys are making this hard to just watch, and not sell something to afford to get in on!

Sounds like excellent stuff, looking forward to more build pics and some impressions at the end of the process.

For clarity, to build this one would need to invest in 2 servo amps, and 6 servo 12 inch woofers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2015, 05:10 pm »
  Just heard the finished subs at our May Audiosyndrome meeting. Three per side with Rythmic plate amps and BG Radia FS880 [ discontinued] speakers. The bass IMO was the most tonaly accurate bass I ever heard period end of story.
   The weight ,slam and deeeeeep bass never was boomy or phasey. Stand up bass was near real. organ was out of bounds. So powerfull with tone. One could easilt discern the footpedals and note changes.
    No active crossovers, no high pass filter on amp. If you have room for subs just do it and you will be a very happy camper. KUDOS Danny, they are da bomb.

charles

This is exactly my feeling too - the OB Servo subs are simply better than the other bass options.  I will never, ever, ever go back to box sub bass.  OB gives you way better room integration than any box, and the servo adds punch, dynamics and power that "regular" non-servo OB bass just cannot match.  The fact that it goes flat to below 20hz in my room is just gravy....

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2015, 05:30 pm »
Yep.  Took me years to pull the trigger on them.  No regrets.  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2015, 07:19 pm »
I recently ordered the parts to build my second servo sub. Going stereo!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2015, 10:33 pm »
How much distance from the wall is required for OB servo bass to be effective?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2015, 11:25 pm »
How much distance from the wall is required for OB servo bass to be effective?

About a foot, minimum.  3 feet is of course better. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2015, 12:02 am »
Eeeesh, you guys are making this hard to just watch, and not sell something to afford to get in on!

Sounds like excellent stuff, looking forward to more build pics and some impressions at the end of the process.

For clarity, to build this one would need to invest in 2 servo amps, and 6 servo 12 inch woofers?

Correct. One amp and three drivers per tower.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2015, 05:57 am »
finally got back to work on these....

I purposely cut the  tops  slightly too wide so that I could  trim them off  with a flush trim  bit after glue up

After running the flush trim bit  across each side and a light sanding

Next came the  3/8"  roundover on all inside edges 

Then a 3/4" roundover  was  cut on all  outer edges

When I built the dual 12's, I drilled the  holes for the wiring after assembly... it was  difficult getting the   heles  where I wanted them  due to the size of the my  drill.   This time,  I pre drilled  the holes on the  drill press before assembly, one in each rear brace and one in the  middle section of the baffle

Will make the bases from a double layer of 1"  MDF and grill frames from  1/2"  MDF,  hopefully this weekend.

jay
« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 05:49 pm by Captainhemo »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2015, 06:57 am »
Welcome back, Jay!

Those are looking good. I already know they'll sound fantastic.  :wink:

NeilT

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2015, 03:29 am »
Hey Jay, I must have missed something.
You built and loved the double 12's, what prompted the 3 by's?
Just curious and they look great.

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2015, 06:17 am »
Welcome back, Jay!

Those are looking good. I already know they'll sound fantastic.  :wink:

Thanks Michael  :beer:

Hey Jay, I must have missed something.
You built and loved the double 12's, what prompted the 3 by's?
Just curious and they look great.

Neil

Hey Neil !!
These are actually for a buddy who has a much larger  listening room  than I do.
I can't see myself ever needing  more than what the  pair of dual 12's  offers, they don't even  break a sweat  in  my room

jay