Try out OB sub w a minimum viable product?

pslate

Try out OB sub w a minimum viable product?
« on: 24 Jun 2020, 08:50 pm »
Hi There,

I have been enjoying my gear unchanged since about 2013. Maybe I should be banned? Suffice it to say I've had minimal activity in the past few years, that said, what might people say could be a cheap and easy way to try out OB bass before making a full GR Research plunge? I want to, but I'm also conservative in the COVID era, and would love to start w super easy prototypes before getting into something I'd want for years. I'd love to hear your ideas, or suggestions if you have any. Important factor, and to make things more complicated, is that I don't have a lot of time to build. We started having kids late, and we have 4 young ones, so the activity must be cleared w the significant other. That's a reason why I'd like to try something like a prototype before going full bore, or just purchasing a finished product from someone on the site. Secondarily, one of my prized possessions is a Gary Dodd amp with all of the trimmings, it uses a Class D 254 chip. Think it's worth trying to update w a new chip? Or is that a bit crazy? Peace to you, be well, and have fun.
Paul

Danny Richie

Re: Try out OB sub w a minimum viable product?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2020, 02:28 am »
To get your feet wet you can just build a single two woofer OB servo sub system. They are about as easy to build as any other design.  You can then add another later if you want.

Keithh

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2020, 06:20 am »
If you just want to try OB bass you can get an Eminence Alpha-15A for about $70-80.
Mount it in a H frame and use a plate amp to power it. That will give you the true OB experience
and is what converts many to OB speakers. They are pretty impressive until you hear a GR Research
OB servo sub, then there is no turning back to anything else.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2020, 11:36 am »
To get your feet wet you can just build a single two woofer OB servo sub system. They are about as easy to build as any other design.  You can then add another later if you want.

Yep. That's what I did.

pslate

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2020, 12:21 pm »
I really appreciate the responses here!! Last question. It was hard to tell online if flat packs were an option for GR options. Are there any available right now?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2020, 12:26 pm »
Yep! They're available from Captainhemo, just shoot him a message about getting a kit!  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2020, 04:54 pm »
I really appreciate the responses here!! Last question. It was hard to tell online if flat packs were an option for GR options. Are there any available right now?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.0

Prices are per pair,  we can do singles as well.   Prefer to  do  pairs, especially  if we're adding rouindovers etc .... keeps  them idendentical

Feel free to contact  us at  captainhemo at show.ca
jay