How do whizzer cones really work? (Or are all whizzers "evil"?)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I try to be the analytical type in my product selection and I'm a "speaker guy".

So when I think about a whizzer cone that has an unsupported outer edge, runs off the same voice coil/magnet as the larger cone, and is placed to interfere with the wavefront coming off the larger cone, I get very confused and automatically dismiss the driver.  Just the name itself implies bad things are happening sonically.   :o

Can anyone explain exactly how a whizzer works?  How does it "know" to handle higher frequencies?  Does it flex (relatively more than the cone)?  What is going on the the sound waves from both the bigger cone and the whizzer in the space between them?  Then there are guys who mod particular whizzers by cutting them back or stuffing the space between whizzer and bigger cone, what's the point of the whizzer then?

I'll admit that they don't sound bad, but I've never been able to wrap my brain around the concept.  I just can't stare at a whizzer that I don't understand and relax that analytical side so that I can get into the music.

Thanks, I feel a little better now.   :roll: