• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: A welcome to the single driver speaker circle
« Reply #20 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:06 pm »
Just don't build 'em out of cardboard.
I thought they were "unique"......

jrebman

« Reply #21 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:12 pm »
I happen to have a pair of cardboard SD speakers.  They're out on loan at the moment, but they use those little stick-on transducers from Sonic Impact.  They sound pretty decent considering.

Thanks for the welcome, Chris (if I knew the characters for "beer toast" i'd add them here :D.

-- Jim

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:23 pm »
I guess I don't qualify. My current design and my new designs are not even close to meeting the 80 Hz value.

Hiya Martin,

I haven't been over to your site in  a while. Tell us about your new designs.

Oh, and your MLTL's definitely qualify  :thumb:

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:51 pm »
Scott,

Right now I am working on the following designs and projects.

1. My last design was a Lowther OB system using two Eminence Alpha 15A woofers and a Fostex super-tweeter. I have an update to prepare to finish off this project.

2. A study of OB design using passive crossovers and full range drivers. This is an article which lays out by example my method for designing such a system and how to select an appropriate woofer to mate with a full range driver in a small OB using a passive crossover. Goals are to have a small baffle and a reasonable cost system. Should be available in the next few weeks.

3. I have a half finished pair of David Dlugos' Frugalhorns in my basement. When finished these will be my test bed for future upgrades to my BLH MathCad worksheets. The back loaded horn articles on my site will also be updated. Work for the winter.

4. Longer range, I have a tentative design for a BLH for my Lowther drivers. I am hoping to work on the design a little more and then build and test it. Probably not until next year.

Martin

jrebman

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:56 pm »
Martin,

Did yu get the frugalhorn as a KD
-- Jim

MJK

« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2007, 06:17 pm »
Jim,

What is a KD?

Martin

jrebman

« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2007, 06:20 pm »
Sorry -- Knock Down -- flat pack kinds of things like one might find at Ikea.  Basically a pre-machined kit that takes nothing more than glue and a screwdriver to asemble.

-- Jim

MJK

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2007, 06:29 pm »
Yes, it is one of Dave's flatpacks. I have a pair of his modified Fostex FE-126E drivers for it when assembly is finished.

When I am done, I am hoping to have good acoustic and electrical measurements and a correlated MathCad model.

SET Man

« Reply #28 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:37 am »
Just don't build 'em out of cardboard.
I thought they were "unique"......

Hey!

Well, the reason not to build them out of cardboard like that is that they won't be strong enough for our Speaker Model to lean on, or put beer on and not getting the cardboard wet. :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #29 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:45 am »
Ah....come on Buddy...a little scotch tape, and their good as new... :beer:  :lol:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #30 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:01 am »
I submit these for my membership privileges in this Glorious Clubb

SET Man

« Reply #31 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:43 am »
Hey!

First congratulation to Jim/jrebman for new job here on this "SD/SET Circle" :D Now this is the circle I would definitely visit :D

Okay, now it is time for me to share my SD/SET aa

Pictures above from one of my Mini-Raves of which the famous lonewolf42, aka Speaker Model came. :D The second picture so the rest of the system, including my pimped turntable of which used to be Rega Planar 2 and again pimped Audio Note M1 tubed Pre. :D

My speakers are home made with Fostex FE167E drivers based on the TQWT cabs running fullrange without any xover or network. With Fostex FT17H as Supertweeter with a single 0.47uf cap. So, I guess you could call this 1.5 than :lol: I built them back in around Aug 2002 as a fun project but ended up replacing my Maggie 1.5 of which I have use since 1996.

Those SET monoblocs are from Welborne Lab "Apollo" Designed especially for use with KR Audio higher Triode tube like 300BXLS and 824VHD... currently have 824VHDs in them. And 6EM7/6EA7 driver tube. Utilized Electra Prints output and power transformers. Putting out about 18wch of pure SET power! Well, those tubes are 5 years old now, I guessitmated that they probably have about 3500 hours on them.. hmmm maybe near 4000. :D Got these babies as kit back in Dec. 1999. :D Not the quietest amps but I love the sound and the drive of these babies. And aren't they pretty?  :P

I'm very happy with my system right now. Ain't perfect but I could live with their short comings. :D Oh! Yeah! my speaker ain't that great looking. But they sound great and I'm okay with the Natural Plywood finish on them :lol:

If you ask me if I like my speaker or how much I like them? Than this...

... should answer that question. :inlove: Have you hug your speakers today? :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #32 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:02 pm »
Wow, 4 pages since I asked my question!  :o
Everybody, thank you for your answers.
Scott that was an extremely well written description, I totally understand. My rig does not fit the criteria. Not even close.  :lol:  I was wondering specifically about the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris Coaxial in itself as being considered a fullranger. Looks like it might be 'patronized' as a distant relative. Kinda' like a third cousin at the families Christmas party, "tolerated" but not invited in any conversations.  :lol:

Bob

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:23 pm »
Hi Jim,

Whoa... I just spotted this forum.  Congratulations on your new SD circle! 

I look forward to reading/posting here and watching this circle take off!

Thanks for the welcome, Chris (if I knew the characters for "beer toast" i'd add them here

Beer Tost = colon beer colon  :beer:

Thanks for starting this circle!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #34 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:26 pm »
Quote from: SET Man
If you ask me if I like my speaker or how much I like them? Than this...

... should answer that question.  Have you hug your speakers today?

Take care,
Buddy

Whoa... if I was the manufacturer of the speaker I'd ask to put that pic on my website.  There are written testimonials, but this really gets the point across of a "happy customer"  :thumb:

Nice!

Vinnie

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2007, 03:48 pm »
hey buddy, i have a really nice pair of set mono block amps i rigged up, conwerted from an akai m8 tape deck, yust like what you're running.  i bet they'd drive your speakers quite nicely...   :wink:

re: single-driver speakers, i recently purchased two pairs of fostex fe-103 drivers that were stuffed into boxes that had the more modern (& cheap?) pioneer drivers extracted:

and there's ~$20/pair phase plug upgrades i have heard about as well, from what i've read.  (cool pic w/all their different phase plugs lined up):

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

but, i dunno if this qualifies me as a member of the single driver club, even tho these fe-103's will go from ~50hz to ~15khz.  because, i will likely run them stacked, two per channel.  and, i am gonna run them w/a pair of super tweeters that i bought a while back, & had stashed away, for yust such an application - a pair of pioneer pt-r7 ribbons, that are flat out to ~100khz.  the bottom end will be handled by a pair of vmps larger subs, my old faithful standby's.  all this will happen as soon as my new (Used) deqx pdc 2.6 shows up.   :green:  i will likely drive the fostex's in series; the 16 ohm load will work nicely from the 16 ohm tap of my modded almarro a205a mkll.  the ribbons will likely be driven by my akai m8-derived monoblocks.  should be fun; i am anxious to see how something like this compares w/my conwentional speakers...  of course, i will have to try the deqx on my conwentional set-ups as well...  8)

doug s.

jrebman

« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:05 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks!  It's a great new adventure and I hope I can learn to do a decent job of it.
:beer:
:D

Thanks again,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Whoa... I just spotted this forum.  Congratulations on your new SD circle! 

I look forward to reading/posting here and watching this circle take off!

Thanks for the welcome, Chris (if I knew the characters for "beer toast" i'd add them here

Beer Tost = colon beer colon  :beer:

Thanks for starting this circle!

Vinnie

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:13 pm »
Here's my application for membership in the SD circle  :D

With a picture like this I'll make sure not to apply to the Eye Fidelity circle  :rotflmao:

Boris

jrebman

« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:16 pm »
JQP,

Just so you know, I am blind so can't see the picture you posted.  If you feel like describing them, please go ahead, or you can post in the "our systems" thread I just started.

Thanks, and welcome!

Buddy, thanks for the welcome, and I'd like to know more about those speakers at some point.  It sounds like you have a very sweet setup there!

Welcome!

Doug, that sounds like a nice setup too.  to my mind it would qualify because you are running the bulk of the spectrum through a wideband driver (even if it is two of them), and using a single ended pentode amp for that same range, and I think that's fully within the spirit of the single driver approach, even if it isn't exactly purist :D.

Welcome, and I hope you tell us more about this system as it comes together.

Everybody, I've started another thread in which you can talke about all your single driver/SET (or whatever amplifier) adventures.  Check it out and feel free to talk about your systems, current, past , and the future possibilities for it.

-- Jim

jrebman

« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:21 pm »
Boris, I posted that last reply as you were posting yours, but welcome!

I've been looking very closely at your PSE PCL-84 kit, so once my little office system is in place, and my workbench setup again, that will be one of the first things I'll be getting to do some experimentation with.

Welcome again,

Jim