The Speakers Disappeared!

Conmoto22

The Speakers Disappeared!
« on: 24 Jul 2023, 04:52 am »
I’m a little embarrassed to admit it, but after many years I’ve finally experienced the “…and the speakers disappear” phenomenon. I get it now. It’s one thing to be in the sweet spot, but this is a next level experience when the soundstage blossoms, the speakers disappear, and everything sounds more live. It happened by accident. The Mrs. was having one of her feng shui moments. I had to move stuff around…Kismets we’re moved 63” from the front wall, 17” from side walls, 8’ between them, and about 8’ from my head. Now I’m afraid to go to bed. As if when I listen again tomorrow all the magic will be gone 😆 🤔

The new setup has complicated the amp positioning. When I ordered cables from Klaus for my Khartago monos, my thought was that I’d keep the speaker cables super short (3’) under the impression that it was better for the signal cable to be long rather than speaker cables. Something about RCAs being more prone to pick up interference. Anyway, I have regrets. I wish I would’ve ordered 7’ speaker cables. Does anyone recall the cost per ft with tube connectors?
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2023, 11:56 am by Conmoto22 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: The Speakers Disappeared!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2023, 05:40 am »
It’s actually better to have short interconnects and long speaker wire, IME.  This is because any noise or grit picked up by the IC gets magnified by the amp. 

Also, congrats on getting a holographic soundstage, it’s quite magical isn’t it?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2023, 10:45 am »
Which illustrates that most people have their speakers placed incorrectly.  I can't tell you how many living room set ups I see with the speakers on plane with the TV and close to the wall.  $10,000 or more invested in speakers that are a few inches front the front wall is folly.

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2023, 10:57 am »
I’ve finally experienced the “…and the speakers disappear”
And once you’ve tasted it you’re not satisfied with anything less.  It’s a revelation that I’m finding introduces a whole lot more soundstage details needing to be sorted out. 

BikeFi10

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2023, 04:01 pm »
I did not know Odyessy made Kismet speakers. Only read about Liquids. I have a Kismet in Kartago amp and was baffled that OPs moving of amps improved imageing, lol.
After looking up these speakers on the Odyessy site, Im amazed the OP got such amazing results from those little boxes. Then again, Klaus seems to do magic.
I know there are Circles for it, but Ive tried and tried to make my Magenpan 1.7i s dissappear. Soundstage pretty good, but those big panels wont "go away".
Suprised OPs wife was ok with speakers 5' out in room. Seems like a feng shui clash.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2023, 04:22 pm »
Getting speakers away from the walls is the number 1 thing to get them to image well.

Conmoto22

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2023, 09:04 pm »
Getting speakers away from the walls is the number 1 thing to get them to image well.

There are 2 Kismet models. The Kismet Reference, which are probably what you saw on the Odyssey site, and then the Kismet floor standers. I've got the floor standers. They have the exact same drivers and probably the same specs. The floor standers are 4' tall. I assume all of the cabinet space below the drivers are dead space as I've had a peek into the driver enclosure and it's sealed off just below the woofer. The only benefit that I can imagine is that the binding posts are much closer to the floor or if you like a full cabinet aesthetic.   

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2023, 11:05 pm »
I move my speakers away from the wall and into the sweet spot when critical listening. Quite challenging with 7 foot tall 250 lb LS-9s but I do it. I pull them a little ways away from the wall when using them for HT.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2023, 04:28 pm »
  For me 1/3 into the room. Put those heavy speakers on castors to easily move. No harm to tonality.

charles