CA Audio Show Pictures

cacophony777

CA Audio Show Pictures
« on: 1 Aug 2010, 04:44 am »
I just got back from the CA Audio Show and thought I'd post a few pictures. I had a great time, and especially enjoyed meeting Jim and hearing the exceptional SoundScape 10  (the Songtower RT wasn't too shabby either  :wink:

I was a bit too rushed to do critical listening in most of the other rooms, but it was still lots of fun to hear so many different speakers.

« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2010, 05:55 am by cacophony777 »

martyo

Re: CA Audio Show Pictures
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm »
Thanks for the great photos! :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2010, 03:04 pm »

Ditto!

John

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2010, 03:24 pm »
.... :thumb:

highfilter

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2010, 04:25 pm »
I almost died when I saw the pictures of those SoundScapes. Wow! Can't wait for mine to be finished.  :drool:

Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing.

bigjppop

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2010, 07:28 am »
Are those ST's already spoken for?  Maybe Jim wants to let them go as a demo pair?  Just asking????  :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm »
Are those ST's already spoken for?  Maybe Jim wants to let them go as a demo pair?  Just asking????  :)

Those may be his personal pair from his living room.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm »

+2

JD

cacophony777

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:17 pm »
Those may be his personal pair from his living room.

Yeah, both the Songtower and Soundscape are Jim's personal pair.
Jim's a lucky man  :D

bigjppop

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:44 pm »
Yeah, both the Songtower and Soundscape are Jim's personal pair.
Jim's a lucky man  :D

I guess Jim and I have similar taste in finishes as I believe those are the best looking speakers I've seen yet in this circle.  Fitting that they belong to Mr. Salk himself.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:52 pm »
Both speakers looked fantastic.

Jim mentioned to me the Soundscape finish takes a week to hand rub...and results looked it  :thumb:

John

Sonix

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2010, 01:20 am »
Did they say which AVA amp the SoundScapes were hooked up to.

Sorry if I missed it.

Regards,
Ken

some young guy

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:01 am »
Did they say which AVA amp the SoundScapes were hooked up to.

Sorry if I missed it.

Regards,
Ken

The one pictured above, with the Transporter on it.

newzooreview

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:20 am »
The one pictured above, with the Transporter on it.

That is the Double Ultra+ 550 (almost certainly). Jim and Dennis brought the same equipment to the D.C. Audiofest and they had the 550 there too. They were running the Songtowers with the Ultravalve and the Soundscapes with the 550.

Construct

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:44 am »
Nice. Nice.  Nice.   :thumb:
If Salks designs were any boutique brand, we'd be looking at $40K a pair speakers easily.  That is a LOT of elegance and performance for the money!  AVA as well.  No baloney, just performance!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2010, 03:37 pm »
Another viewpoint on the Salk/AVA room from Stereophile:

http://blog.stereophile.com/cas2010/salk_with_van_alstine/

I know from past shows at RMAF that I never felt that what you heard there was close to what the Salk speakers could produce once they were in your home.  I know that sounds like a "duh" type statement, but what I am driving at is that the gap between what I heard at shows vs a home environment  was larger for the Salk speakers than some other brands.

To perspective buyers, the Salk speakers (I own five SongTowers and used to own a pair of HT3's) can produce wonderful sound and are an excellent value.  Take a look at what owners have said about them and don't let any one show commentary totally drive your thoughts or judgement.

George

fsimms

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:00 pm »
Zybar, .....   +1

Bob

cacophony777

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:29 pm »
I think it's tough to make critical assessments in these types of situations (too many variables and distractions).

But on that note I thought that the Songtowers sounded way better than these $80k Acapella High Violoncello II speakers:

http://blog.stereophile.com/cas2010/acapella_and_more_from_loggie_audio_aaudio_imports/

I'm not joking here. They played a version of Fever that sounded flat and lifeless.

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:42 pm »
Those pics are awesome!  Thank you, cacophony777

Another viewpoint on the Salk/AVA room from Stereophile:

http://blog.stereophile.com/cas2010/salk_with_van_alstine/

I know from past shows at RMAF that I never felt that what you heard there was close to what the Salk speakers could produce once they were in your home.  I know that sounds like a "duh" type statement, but what I am driving at is that the gap between what I heard at shows vs a home environment  was larger for the Salk speakers than some other brands.

To perspective buyers, the Salk speakers (I own five SongTowers and used to own a pair of HT3's) can produce wonderful sound and are an excellent value.  Take a look at what owners have said about them and don't let any one show commentary totally drive your thoughts or judgement.

George

George,

Reading that article gives me the impression the Stereophile rep was knocking the AVA electronics.  Anyone else get that vibe?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:44 pm »
That was my take.