MBOW1, A/V-1, CAOW1, Criterion...which is best for HT?

Magnus_CA

MBOW1, A/V-1, CAOW1, Criterion

I know all of these speakers are good for music.  What is the best choice for HT?  If I could design the perfect speaker for me it would handle 2 channel music and home theater equally well.  Does one of these designs fulfill that more than the others?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Martyn

Re: MBOW1, A/V-1, CAOW1, Criterion...which is best for HT?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:52 pm »
You're probably not going to get much response to this question on the Salk owners circle!

I asked my self the same question a while back and decided on the MBOW1 because it is available in many variants. I haven't built them yet, but I plan to use Dennis' 3-way OW1 version for the mains and the 2-way T2 version for the centre and surrounds. The only real issue is probably the baffle-step compensation on the surrounds because I will mount them on my side walls, but I'm not going to worry about that too much because I'll be changing the box design for those anyway.

This arrangement will give me good 2-channel sound without a sub. Unfortunately the Peerless 10" woofer has been discontinued, but you might still be able to find them. I already have all my parts - just have to find the time.

Magnus_CA

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007, 07:08 pm »
You're probably not going to get much response to this question on the Salk owners circle!

Hmm...I figured there is no better place to post this question!  Where do you suggest I take my inquiry?

I'm looking for opinions of those familiar with the designs.

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007, 07:56 pm »

Hmm...I figured there is no better place to post this question!  Where do you suggest I take my inquiry?

Audio Central, Starting Block.....etc.,
Danny Richie's GR circle would be a good chioce or RAW Circle.

I'm looking for opinions of those familiar with the designs.

I've heard all those designs.  They are all well thought out designs.
All have a slightly different tonality....which would require your input.
The Criterion is no longer current or supported, which is not to say it's
an "outdated' design in need of improvement.  The AV-1 or the RAW
variant would be the most obvious choice.  Because there are LCR, Surround
designs already in place.  There are upgrade paths already in place with the
same tonality...i.e., timbre matching e.g., AV-22 AV-33. 
It's a current design with many satisfied owners.

Jim Salk has in the past made examples of all these designs & perhaps he
might offer an opinion.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2007, 08:23 pm »
I'm familiar with the MBOW1 and CAOW1 designs, but not the other two.  Either the MBOW1 or the CAOW1 would make excellent small HT speakers.  Dennis Murphy, at his DIY web site http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html says, " the CAOW1 provides about 5 Hz more bass extension (down to 50 Hz) and a slightly clearer midtreble than the MB0W1."  With a subwoofer, you'd might as well use the MBOW1, as it's woofer costs less.

The MBOW1 also comes in less expensive forms, the MB20 and MB27, which use 1" dome tweeters that cost about $30 each, instead of the over $100 each for the OW1 tweeters.  They would make excellent rear channel speakers.

A very good and relatively inexpensive HT system would be three MBOW1s in the front, two MB20s or MB27s as the rear channel speakers, and a subwoofer of your choice.

The new SongTower and the CAOW1 sound quite similar to eachother, except for the deeper bass extension of the ST.  It seems like those two speakers would make a great combination for HT.  But Dennis and Jim will soon release the SongCenter and SongSurround speakers.  Let's wait and see what those are like.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2007, 08:38 pm by R Swerdlow »

Magnus_CA

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2007, 09:21 pm »

Jim Salk has in the past made examples of all these designs & perhaps he
might offer an opinion.

Yeah, I'm speaking specifically to Jim's designs of these speakers.

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2007, 09:56 pm »
Magnus_CA -

If it were my money, I'd go with the CAOW1 (SongSurrounds).  This would give you a clear upgrade path if you wanted to expand upon the system later.  You could use the CAOW1's for the rear surrounds and add a pair of SongTower QWT's and a SongCenter.

Dennis is just doing some final checking on the SongCenter now and the SongSurrounds (CAOW1's) are already a complete design.

We will also have two subs available for this system.

- Jim

Papajin

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2007, 08:09 am »
Jim,

Do you have final or even approximate dimensions on the SongSurrounds as of yet?  Any other information on what we can expect with this speaker driver-wise, response-wise, etc?

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2007, 11:41 am »
Papajin -

Jim,

Do you have final or even approximate dimensions on the SongSurrounds as of yet?  Any other information on what we can expect with this speaker driver-wise, response-wise, etc?

The SongSurrounds will be 8" wide, 13" tall and 10" deep.  They will use the Seas CA15RLY midwoofer (same as in the SongTowers) and the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.  They are rear ported and have an F3 of about 50Hz.

Here is a frequency response plot...

The "standard" version of these speakers will be available in maple, cherry, walnut and black satin with black satin front baffles (same as SongTowers).  As with all Song-series speakers, custom finishes are a higher cost option since we lose the ability to mass-produce them.

- Jim

Magnus_CA

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2007, 04:08 pm »

The SongSurrounds will be 8" wide, 13" tall and 10" deep.  They will use the Seas CA15RLY midwoofer (same as in the SongTowers) and the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.  They are rear ported and have an F3 of about 50Hz.

Will the Woofer and tweeter overlap in this speaker?  Is the CA15RLY made to be recessed?

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:13 pm »
I am told the CA15RLY will work fine either way.  But we will not overlap them.  Rather, we will flush mount them.

- Jim

Magnus_CA

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:16 pm »
I am told the CA15RLY will work fine either way.  But we will not overlap them.  Rather, we will flush mount them.

- Jim

Thanks Jim.  Any pictures?

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:22 pm »
Jim, I'd be interested in the impedence curve for the CAOW1/Song Surround. (tube application..)

WEEZ

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:49 pm »
Hi  e-mail me and I'll send you a plot.  It doesn't drop too low for tube applications, but it does have the typical peak before the crossover frequency.  I doubt that would be a problem but it depends on your amp's circuitry.

WEEZ

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:52 pm »
Hey Dennis, will do thanks :thumb:

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2007, 06:13 pm »
Dennis, you have a PM