F25 subwoofers in elm burl with quilted maple front baffles

jsalk

Don and Jill wanted a pair of BePure 3's and matching F25 subwoofers to round out the bottom end...perfect for pipe organ solos!

We finished and delivered the BePure 3's several weeks ago, but just finished the subs. 

Here is a picture...

The finish is elm burl with quilted maple front baffles - hand-rubbed to high gloss. 

You can see the BePure 3's here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185993.0

We're packing a pair of these (211 pounds each) and will be shipping them shortly.

Happly listening Don and Jill (once you wrangle these into place)...

- Jim

artofaudio

Re: F25 subwoofers in elm burl with quilted maple front baffles
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2023, 09:37 pm »
Gorgeous!

robink

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2023, 03:39 am »
Jim,

I am curious, what are the pro/cons of the F25 vs G25? Have you built both of them before?

rowdyrobot

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2023, 04:05 am »
I am also interested in this question.
I have my eye on the Rythmik G22 (versus the F12) to pair with my Song3-A. I understand the theoretical reason dual opposed is better but am interested in real listening impressions. I use a purifi class D amp and love the tight, accurate bass it produces in the Salk’s, hence the Rythmik interest.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2023, 06:36 pm »
For the most part, the only difference between the two is the location of the drivers.  With the G25, they are in opposite sides of the cabinet.  So the back wave of one driver cancels out the back wave of the other, cutting down on the internal sound waves that can cause cabinet vibrations (distortion).  But with proper bracing and a thick (2 1/4") front baffle, cabinet resonances aren't that much of an issue to begin with.

In this case, we discussed the placement options and the G25 would not work without the amp showing from the front of the subwoofer.  So changing it to an F25 was a better option.

If you think of it, the best subwoofers in the world pretty much have front-firing drivers.  So while the concept behind the G25 is solid in theory, the difference in the performance is minimal.  It's one of those audio concepts that are valid in terms of theory, but don't make much difference in terms of what you hear.  So go with the G25 if the placement works for you and the F25 if it doesn't.  You'll be happy either way.

I hope this helps.

- Jim