A litle advice on building the Felix

Felipe

A litle advice on building the Felix
« on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:53 pm »
Hi,

I posted this on "The lab" a while ago, but got no answers so i thought i'd try my luck on "my own home"  :).

I a building some Felix projects, have the coils, the caps are missing.
Is there anyone out there that built these, and would like to advice on the caps ?
I will try the 1uF +0.1uF +0.01uF sequence but do not know if BRAND is an issue ?
Any kind of polypropylene or polyester X1/X2 cap will do the job ? Or do we get better results with a specific brand?

Also, does anyone have some pcb boards from the "group buy" that was made some time ago in "the lab" and wishes to sell ?

Thank you all.
Cheers,
Filipe

AKSA

Re: A litle advice on building the Felix
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:01 am »
Hi Filipe,

I cannot answer your questions, but let us hope that Paul (aka Occam) is reading this and will respond!

He is a real expert on the Felix.

Nice to see you comfortable in your own home!  :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

TimS

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2010, 06:54 pm »
There's alot of info out there - have you tried these two threads?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.0
  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51941.0

For capacitors, the group buy ordered either the:
    * Vishay/Roederstein F1778 X2 set of two 1.0 uF, two 0.1 uF and two 0.01 uF
or the:
    * Vishay/BC MKP 338 X1 set of two 1.0 uF, two 0.1 uF and two 0.01 uF

I think a few other caps were tried but these were selected as the best.

Tim

kyrill

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:02 pm »
hi
you dont really need the group buy pcb's 
the pcb's you can buy with the prefabricated holes in it will do the job
equally good. you make yr own paths between the holes with any kind of wire
that pleases you

as for the caps that is a different story. The Vishay/Roederstein F1778 X2 caps sound (much) better ( more transparent) than industrial X2 caps never made for audiophile listening. This is true for Vishay as well but they sound the best ( for industrial caps) but they sound mediocre to almost low fi compared to audiophile musical boutique caps when used in the signal path of amps.

So using audiophile caps for the felix will logically make them (much) more musical and transparent BUT there is a but. theoretically they ( musical signal caps) are not made to have 24 hrs a day high wall socket voltages. they may fail and cause a shortage that will blow the fuse at best or spark a fire by burning. X2 caps are made NOT to do that when they fail. However, many musical caps are made for tube amps with voltages way higher than 115 or 230 V, but not designed to be safe when failed

Metalized caps however like Mundorf and others should be safe for applications like Felix ( heard it from a salesperson of Sonicraft.com ( better he emailed it to me) as they or self repair themselves or brake the connection as opposed to short circuiting the connection. Still they are not designed for applications like line conditioners