Modded Squeezebox Touch

sir-charles1

Modded Squeezebox Touch
« on: 9 Nov 2011, 07:03 pm »
Hi guys, this is my first post but I always get my knowledge here. Great minds in this site.

I am looking to get a squeezebox Touch and hook up to my PS Audio DAC for mostly Pandora and Spotify listening.

How different will the sound be using a modded touch and digital output, versus a stock unit with a modded power supply. From what I understand the new touch has better sound stock than a modded SB3. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks.

Wayne1

Re: Modded Squeezebox Touch
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2011, 02:30 pm »
In the hierarchy of the Logictech SqueezeBox products, the Touch is the best sounding out of the box and needs the least amount of work to really bring out all that it can be.

All of the smaller products (SB, SB2, SB3.Classic, Receiver, and Touch) benefit from replacing the stock switcher with a good linear supply. The different linear supplies make a difference to the sound of the end product.

The Touch does benefit from the digital mod. This consists of removing the internal surface mount voltage regulator and installing a custom regulator physically next to the chip that controls the clock and the digital output. This give a very steady, dedicated voltage to the clock and the output circuit. this lowers the noise floor and jitter. Additional de-coupling capacitors are added to critical elements in the digital signal path. The end result is an extended low end and less harshness on the high end.

The stock Touch is very good sounding. It is better than the stock Receiver or SB3. It is NOT better than any of the BOLDER modded Receivers or SB3. However, the cost of modding a Touch is less than what the cost of the Receiver or SB3 were and the end product does sound better.

To put it in perspective, a digital modded Touch with a Bybee Music Railed Jerome power supply for $700.00 worth of mods will sound better than the $1000.00 SB3 signature mod with the $1800.00 Ultimate Nirvana power supply.

Time marches on and in this case the quality of a modded source gets better and the cost is less.

sir-charles1

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:01 pm »
Thank you Wayne. You very cleared up all my questions and concerns. I will be pulling the trigger on a Squeezebox Touch soon and once i save up some money i will be sending it out to you for tweaking... 8)

Have you or anyone else here on the forum had the opportunity to have a Touch with the digital mod, Jerome PS mod and the Touch Toolbox 2.0/3.0 mod. If so, what was the outcome, changes (positive or negative) and surprises if any.

Thanks.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:27 pm »
sir charles-welcome to AC!!! I was a skeptic that a Power supply change could make any difference in sound let alone the dramatic effect that reviews I read said they heard.
 First unit was a DUET and Wayne suggested a linear supply- I did it reluctantly- and was blown away immediately by the differences I heard now I run a touch and the first thing I did was get a modded power supply in the loop per Wayne's suggestion and again I was amazed.

I'm saving up for Bybees and Digital mods and intend on having my head blown back again, I'm not an EE just a listener and now an avid subscriber to the tips Wayne suggests. He knows how to make the units special, so why not take full advantage of his wizardry!!!!! :thumb:

alana106

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:49 pm »
Hi Sir,

I had been using a Bolder modified SB3 with a Paradisia Dac and an older upgraded power supply for several years.
  I recently purchased a Touch due to all of the discussion concerning its improved digital output.  The Touch did sound good, but myself, as well as a few other local GAS guys all agreed, that as good as the stock Touch was, my Bolder SB3 still had the stock Touch beat.
  A couple of weeks ago, I coughed up the $$ and sent the Touch to Wayne for the digital only Mod.  When I received the Touch back, it was no longer a close contest... The modified Touch sounded better in every way, right out of the box.  Stronger Bass, Less grain to the highs, and most noticeable was the dynamics.  I now found that I could enjoy listening and enjoying the music, at lower volume.
   The Modified Touch as brought my system to a new level of satisfaction. If you look around, I thing you will read where many others that have had the same results.

Alan

sir-charles1

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:01 pm »
Thank you for welcoming me Eclein.

I will most definitely take advantage of Wayne's wizardry as you so eloquently put it..... :lol:

Just curious have you explored the touch with Bolder mods (both digital out and P/Supply) and the Touch TOOLBOX 3.0?
thanks.

sir-charles1

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Alan,

Is your older power supply with mods a DIY? I am happy to know that the digital mod to the touch had significant changes that are easily recognizable.

I will be headed in that direction too. Just have to save up!!!

Thanks.

ecruz

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:26 pm »
I have an SB 3 with the digital only mod, Bybee filter and the power supply that was a step down from the "Ultimate". I think the power supply was about $500ish.

My question, how much $$$ would it take to make the Touch sound better and how much better will it be? 

I'm using a Bel Canto dac, Bel Canto pre, Nuforce amps & Gallo Ref 3 speakers.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:39 pm »
$300.00 for a digital mod to the Touch will improve it above the modded SB3.

$200.00 (now on sale) to add the Bybee Music Rail to your power supply.

There will be more dynamics, lower noise floor and you will be able to play 24/96 natively.

alana106

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:47 pm »
Sir-Charles1

The power supply I use is one of the early Bolder supplies.  It was an offering before the current (Standard / Deluxe) units now on the web site.  The power supplies now being offered are probably much better, but I haven't tried one.   YET! 

ecruz

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:53 pm »
Will my current power supply work with the Touch or will it need to be modded too?

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2011, 09:09 pm »
Will my current power supply work with the Touch or will it need to be modded too?

Your current power supply will work just fine. The option is there if you want to upgrade your PS to use the Music Rail, but you do not HAVE to do it.

ecruz

« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2011, 03:40 pm »
My new Touch will be here this week. I don't want to damage anything, so I'm making sure, my current Bolder power supply for my SB3, can be used with the Touch as it is? No changes need to be made? They have the same power requirements?

Thanks

Wayne1

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2011, 03:52 pm »
The SB2, the SB3 and the Touch all can use the same power supply. All three require 5 volts DC. The DUET Receiver requires 9 volts DC. It also uses a different sized DC connector.

The Touch will work fine with your current power supply. It would be best to have it connect to your server through Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. There are a series of software mods for the Touch and the latest Logitech Media Server at soundcheck's audio@vise

I do offer mods to the Touch to improve the sound quality even over the software mods. Most power supplies can be updated.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2011, 05:22 pm by Wayne1 »

ecruz

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:01 pm »

Yes, I am already running Ethernet to my SB3, so the touch will be connected the same way.  I will definitely send it in for mods, but I want to listen to it for a while & get a sense of how it sounds.

The Duet was what was confusing me. I knew I heard that something had different power requirements.

Thanks again,
Eric

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:17 pm »
My new Touch arrived with Wayne's digital mods. It is replacing a stock transporter feeding a stock EE mini max DAC, Nuforce P9 pre, mono 9Vse3 amps and new PMC PB1i speakers  and all I can say is WOW. The clarity, transparency and amount of detail I can hear is a significant step up. I also ordered the new power supply but will need to have Wayne examine it as I had a bit of difficulty with it. For those hanging on the fence about getting a Bolder modded Touch, hang no longer and suck it up and order one. You will not be sorry and also Wayne is a great guy to deal with.
Regards
David

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:50 pm »
Congrats on the new Touch. A linear power supply will surely bring your new Touch to the next level in conjunction with Wayne EE Dac modification.  You will not be sorry. ;)

sir-charles1

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2012, 03:27 pm »
I sent out my Touch for a digital mod today..... :green:
I will report back once i get it back.
Thanks Wayne for your work.

ThuanDB

« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:35 am »
The modded Touch started sounding really good after 3 weeks of breaking-in.  During the 1st 2 weeks, it turned from promising, good for a short time then unbearable thru 2nd week.

Thank you Wayne.

jjinid

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:14 pm »
My digital and analog modded touch with Jerome Linear PS w/Bybee music rail is really starting to come into its own now also!  Wayne does an amazing job with these mods!  :thumb: