Ugh, did I blow my Strata Mini or could this be an easy fix?

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Im writing for guidance on an issue with a speaker (AV123 Mini Strata) that I cant seem to solve. Im hoping that Danny might be able offer advice or guidance? As of last night, One of my Stratas started to distort slightly on medium to moderate listening levels throughout ALL speakers, particularly the woofer and and midrange planar. I have eliminated the possibility of it being my tube amp because when I swapped all tubes from left to right, the distortion didnt follow the speakers, it remained on the "trouble speaker". What im hoping to find out from you is that there is a good possibility that it might be the crossover? Maybe some capacitor is malfunctioning? Any other ideas? I would be terribly upset to discover that I blew the speaker from neglect... 

srb

I have eliminated the possibility of it being my tube amp because when I swapped all tubes from left to right, the distortion didnt follow the speakers, it remained on the "trouble speaker". What im hoping to find out from you is that there is a good possibility that it might be the crossover?

It's certainly possible that the crossover is bad as it's more unlikely that all drivers were simultaneously damaged.  However, swapping the tubes in your tube amp only verifies that the tubes are not bad, but doesn't eliminate the possiblity that a capacitor or other component in one of the amplifier channels is bad.

I assume you also either tried a different source or swapped interconnects between the source and amp, as well as swapping speaker cables?

If you have another amplifier or perhaps a receiver, maybe you could hook that up to test the speakers as well.

Steve

wilsynet

I have eliminated the possibility of it being my tube amp because when I swapped all tubes from left to right, the distortion didnt follow the speakers, it remained on the "trouble speaker".

Try swapping the speaker cables between the left and right speaker terminals of the amplifier.  After all, it doesn't have to be the tubes that have gone bad for the amplifier to have gone bad.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Thanks guys, well I dont have another receiver so I tried swapping the speaker outputs on the amp, plugged the left into the right and the right into the left and still the distortion was in the original speaker, so id have to assume its still the speaker or maaaaybe the source?, not the amp?

srb

That would indicate that it is not the amp.  Switch connections from the source as well to eliminate the source.

What has not been tested are the interconnects and speaker wires themselves, so they should be swapped.  I did once have a bad speaker cable connection that was making one speaker distort, so it is still a possibility.  In the end it may in fact be the speaker, but you will have eliminated all the other possibilities.

Steve

Vedder323

• New Record Day
That would indicate that it is not the amp.  Switch connections from the source as well to eliminate the source.

What has not been tested are the interconnects and speaker wires themselves, so they should be swapped.  I did once have a bad speaker cable connection that was making one speaker distort, so it is still a possibility.  In the end it may in fact be the speaker, but you will have eliminated all the other possibilities.

Steve

Wouldnt swapping the speaker cable from the amp outputs eliminate the speaker cable as well? Id think if the cable was bad, it would have moved from one speaker to the other?

Ugh, so stressed.

srb

If you swapped speaker cables at the amplifier outputs while leaving the cables connected at the speaker end, and the same speaker is still distorting, if that speaker's cable is bad it is staying with the speaker, but just being driven with the other amplifier channel.

If you completely swap cables or swap them at the speaker posts, and the distortion still is in the same speaker, we can eliminate the cables.  If it turns out to be the speaker, then Danny or someone can help troubleshoot the speaker and try to determine if the drivers, crossover or internal connections are bad.

It is what it is, so try not to stress.  I know, easy to say.  Good luck.

Steve

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Thanks Steve, im gonna try swapping the speaker cables all together tomorrow morning... You guys are great, ty.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Well, its coming from the speaker, no other way around it. Swapped cables, swapped sources... still having the same speaker give me distortion. Whats the next step? Swapping drivers to see if its anything inside the speaker electronics or the drivers themselves?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Sounds like you need to test each driver at this point.  On most speakers, you can pull the drivers from the front.  Looking at photos of the Strata Minis, I can't tell if they are rear mounted.  Regardless, you need to get to the back of the drivers, remove or cut a wire, and then run a signal directly to the driver, bypassing the crossover.  For the tweeter especially, and somewhat for the mid, make sure that the signal is low volume and not for long durations.  Listen to each for the distortion.  If they sound ok, there are several of us that can repair or upgrade a crossover for you. 
It might be that the drivers will be easy to pull.  If you get lucky, I'd try switching drivers, one at a time, from the bad speaker with the good one.  If you do this, make sure that the wiring is clearly marked + and - and don't get the polarity reversed.  Good luck with it.

Danny Richie

Re: Ugh, did I blow my Strata Mini or could this be an easy fix?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:00 pm »
Okay, now that you have swapped cables and the problem is still in that one speaker then chances are its a driver problem. It will likely be either a woofer on the mid panel.

I'd then remove the woofer and checks its DCR with a multimeter and see what you get.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:08 pm »
Okay, now that you have swapped cables and the problem is still in that one speaker then chances are its a driver problem. It will likely be either a woofer on the mid panel.

I'd then remove the woofer and checks its DCR with a multimeter and see what you get.

Thanks all, im gonna pull the driver now and while I do have a multimeter, im not sure how or what a DCR is or how to check it, a walk through on the process would be remarkable if you have the time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:23 pm »
DCR is its basically resistance. It is measured in ohms. So just check the woofer to see what the resistance level is.

johzel

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:39 pm »
For what it's worth.  Back when I owned a pair of Mini's I had a similar problem.  Turned out to be a bad mid driver - the bottom driver of the three on the front.  They do come out of the cabinet from the front.  I was able to pull the driver, cut the wires and install a new driver.  Since I have about zero skills and was able to do this successfully - it should be a piece of cake for you . . . if that is the problem, of  course.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:46 pm »
For what it's worth.  Back when I owned a pair of Mini's I had a similar problem.  Turned out to be a bad mid driver - the bottom driver of the three on the front.  They do come out of the cabinet from the front.  I was able to pull the driver, cut the wires and install a new driver.  Since I have about zero skills and was able to do this successfully - it should be a piece of cake for you . . . if that is the problem, of  course.

Thanks, man im having a hell of a time getting this driver the budge once the screws are out, seems like its sealed right into the wood...  any suggestions on prying it out without damaging the finish or speaker?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:51 pm »
Get you some Allen wrenches. Find one that fits fairly snugly in the screw holes. Push it all the way in and then pry it over to one side so that it is cocked over on the screw hole. Now use it as a handle to lift out the driver.

Also, if you need another mid-bass woofer, then I have a few of them in stock.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2011, 04:41 pm »
Get you some Allen wrenches. Find one that fits fairly snugly in the screw holes. Push it all the way in and then pry it over to one side so that it is cocked over on the screw hole. Now use it as a handle to lift out the driver.

Also, if you need another mid-bass woofer, then I have a few of them in stock.

Well... after 2 broken allens and a torn up speaker, the midbass is finally out...  this day couldnt have been any worse...  apparently the guy that owned the speakers before me thought it was a good idea to GLUE them in...  I cant believe the luck...

The good news, if any? It must have been that driver because when I play music now, the distortion is totally gone from the mid planar... 

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 9 Sep 2011, 05:08 pm »
Sorry to hear about the gluing in. That wasn't too sharp.

The good news is that a new woofer is only $20.

Call me to order it. 940-592-3400

johzel

« Reply #18 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:42 pm »
Sorry to hear about the gluing in. That wasn't too sharp.

The good news is that a new woofer is only $20.

Call me to order it. 940-592-3400

Might want to order two  . . . never know about the other speaker.  Wouldn't be bad to have one on hand - just in case. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm »
New woofer on the way.