How to get 2 channel fidelity in HT set-up?

Big Red Machine

How to get 2 channel fidelity in HT set-up?
« on: 30 Sep 2021, 11:07 pm »
I'm running a 7.2.4 set-up through a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080. I love 4K and Atmos, etc. I spin discs and streaming is not in my vocabulary.

What I am not happy about is the sound. I use an older BK or something (it's upstairs and I can't remember) 5 channel amp for the main speakers and only rely on the receiver for the lighter effects and surrounds duties.

Is there a processor or receiver with 2 channel high fidelity capabilities? I don't mix my 2 channel with my HT gear - different rooms.

Am I asking for too much; to get audiophile level sound in a multichannel environment?

jd3

Re: How to get 2 channel fidelity in HT set-up?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2021, 12:06 am »
Pete,

I’ve felt the same way over the years, and never could find a combination that was on par with my 2 channel systems.  I recently had a Yamaha 3080, and though it sounded good it wasn’t as good as the 2 channel setup.  I really wanted it to work out from a cost perspective, but even with the same source and speakers, just not the same.  I’ve pretty much settled for my HT setup to sound good but not the same SQ as my 2 channel system.  Maybe it could be achieved using higher cost separates but not worth the $$ to me.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2021, 12:21 am »
I'm running a 7.2.4 set-up through a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080. I love 4K and Atmos, etc. I spin discs and streaming is not in my vocabulary.

What I am not happy about is the sound. I use an older BK or something (it's upstairs and I can't remember) 5 channel amp for the main speakers and only rely on the receiver for the lighter effects and surrounds duties.

Is there a processor or receiver with 2 channel high fidelity capabilities? I don't mix my 2 channel with my HT gear - different rooms.

Am I asking for too much; to get audiophile level sound in a multichannel environment?

While the Yamaha is better than most, the DAC, Volume Control, and Amps are not the last word in Audiophile sound.

The B&K may or may not be also.

The simple resolution to your issue is to find a good 2 channels Preamp DAC with an excellent Volume Control (preferred is a stepped ladder resistor network) of which there are many out their.

Hook it up in your system and see how it sounds running the B&K in two channel.  If it doesn't give you as much as you are looking for, add a seperate 2 Channel amp of higher/newer quality.

When you run HT, simply run the L&R Yammie outputs to the analog input of the new DAC/Preamp and Voila you have HT pass through.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2021, 12:32 am »
This is worth reading. I am not sure what price point you are interested in pursuing. Anthem, Rotel or Classe might get you the sound quality you are seeking.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/top-picks-processors

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2021, 01:06 am »
Buy a good external DAC for 2ch.  Also agree with Anthem, Classe and Rotel AVR's and possibly one of the higher end Marantz AVR but I would try a good DAC first.

Whoops, I just realized you just want a better sounding AVR so forget about about the DAC upgrade.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2021, 02:46 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2021, 01:44 am »
I have an Anthem AVM 60, I would guess the new AVM 70 would sound similar at unfortunately a higher price. Love the 7.1.4 sound, would I get another if this one died? Hell yes.

But I have never tried it out as a 2 channel.

Usually the L&R from the AVM 60 goes into the AVA Fet Valve CFR preamp (volume set at 50%) when watching video. The other line outs go into various amps for the remaining 9 channels.

How are you thinking of using it? As a stereo DAC/preamp? I could switch some wires around and give it a whirl bypassing the Fet Valve and stand alone DAC.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2021, 02:40 am »
2-channel preamps with HT Bypass are also a way to go.  The left and right channel preamp out of the receiver goes into the HT Bypass input of the (2-channel) preamp.  Benchmark also has a DAC with HT Bypass.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2021, 03:11 am »

Yep. You're definitely asking for too much.

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2021, 03:14 am »
I am doing exactly this with my new theater.   I have an Odyssey Kismet 3-channel on the way since April specifically to tie the theater into the two-channel world.   I'll run an Odyssey Tempest pre-amp with the HT bypass once everything is setup and tested.   The main AVR is a Marantz SR8015, and it does a fantastic job with multi-channel, but with the music department I want that extra ooomph and clarity to make it the perfect multi-media room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2021, 10:19 am »
I was considering Anthem.

To reiterate; I am not listening to any 2 channel in the HT room. Strictly movies and sometimes football.

So, yes, I could get a nice 2 channel preamp but that only accommodates L & R and not the center channel. I tried the Yamaha a few years back to see how it would fair and it is not as pure as my previous Onkyo.

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2021, 11:03 am »

To reiterate; I am not listening to any 2 channel in the HT room. Strictly movies and sometimes football.

So, yes, I could get a nice 2 channel preamp but that only accommodates L & R and not the center channel. I tried the Yamaha a few years back to see how it would fair and it is not as pure as my previous Onkyo.
I have the MRX720, 'tis ok. Replace that B&K amp with a 5-Cherry ;-)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Vince in TX

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2021, 01:57 pm »

Okay, that's confusing since the title of the thread implied 2-channel in your HT setup.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2021, 04:39 pm »
When my old Outlaw 975 processor died I certainly didn't want to spend $3000 on a new processor, so started a deep dive into reviews. I have a 50% rule, if half the reviews are bad then I cross that product off my list, so far this has served me well, from shopping on Amazon to electronics. The Anthem AVM 60 was the only processor that had close to 100% positive ratings.

Looking deeper the AVM 60/70 along with their top of the line receiver uses a lower noise toroidal transformers along with an upgraded DAC. The new AVM 70 also uses a new microphone:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/anthem-avm-70-preamplifier-processor-review/

“The new microphone is a MEMS style microphone which offers a better consistency of measurements across microphones so there is no longer a need for a specific calibration file. The label for the front of the microphone is to help the microphone capture high frequencies accurately (above 5 kHz)”

The AVM 60's clarity is heads and shoulders above the Outlaw, on par with the best movie theaters without any stridency. My room is small so volume is kept at around -20, in a larger room I am confident the Dolby reverence level would sound just as good. By measurements the very top end is slightly rolled off so a reviewer would write it is more musical than analytical but it is never noticeable and allows soundtracks to be played very loud without your partner asking the volume to be turned down. The Genesis room correction works well, I like the option to fine tune the settings after calibration to compensate for the differences between human ears and microphone.

The AVA Fet Valve CFR is completely silent. I was concerned when I ordered it because the preamp doesn't have home theater pass-through but it is not needed, I always turn the volume down when switching inputs out of habit. My setup is not a perfect solution for families. The L&R amp is the AVA Vision SET 400, center and surround is the rare AVA Insight 3 channel amp.

Everyone has their favorite receiver or processor, the Anthem is mine.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2021, 08:38 pm »
Yeah, Wayne, the reviews of the Anthems are pretty good when it comes to clarity, etc. Right now they are not available. I would need the 1140.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2021, 08:44 pm »
Yeah, Wayne, the reviews of the Anthems are pretty good when it comes to clarity, etc. Right now they are not available. I would need the 1140.
:lol:   think again.  Pretty bad actually.  The Denon I posted above destroys it.  But hey, it's your money and golden ears. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/anthem-avm60-review-av-processor.20155/

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2021, 09:47 pm »
The Denon unit was hand picked by the company and sent to Amir measure. Of course it will measure well. Look at the original review and measurements. Not so good but it passed Denon QA and was shipped to a customer.

VinceT

« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2021, 09:58 pm »
I have the Denon X4700H I purchased off assesoriesforless.com. It's actually pretty darn good for how affordable it is. I mostly stream movies so didn't need anything too elaborate, was quite surprised how good it sounds.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2021, 10:04 pm »
The Denon I posted above destroys it.

I'm not a measurement guy with no formal training so I really don't know if bad measurements equals bad sound or a broken sample. I plead guilty to visiting stereo showrooms with a Stereo Review magazine in my back pocket, back then we all knew the vanishingly low distortion specs of Japanese (and Denon) receivers made them sound the best even without listening.

Dec. 1989 Stereo Review Buying Guide

The Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review above has measurements too but my head starts spinning when I try to compare them to Amir's so I'll leave that to the propeller heads.

Have you heard or own the Denon AVR-X6700H or compared it to the Anthem? Not being snarky, just looking for real world experiences.

WGH