what power cords to use for Reference 20

john925

what power cords to use for Reference 20
« on: 9 Jun 2017, 06:17 pm »
hello,

I'm trying to look for an upgrade on my power cords for the Reference20.  I'm wondering what you are using for Nuprime amplifiers that fit very well. 

John

witchdoctor

Re: what power cords to use for Reference 20
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2017, 06:53 pm »
I recommend posting this question in the Triode Wire Labs Circle and the Zen Wave Circles too.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2017, 07:43 pm »
John

You need to give a price range with a limit otherwise the suggestions will be all over the map including the usual "use the black one that came in the box" crowd.

in1unison

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2017, 07:58 pm »
@ John

Thera are so many dealers/distributors, assuming you are from US or Europe, that will let you audition cables at home. See what suits your pocket and if any make any appreciable difference to sound for you.

I see this thread going into memory black hole soon  :wink:

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2017, 11:30 pm »
No reason for it to go into the black hole as long as actual owners past or present reply and we know what price range he considers an upgrade.  No reason to recommend a $600 TWL cord if he is thinking upgrade is $100.

john925

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2017, 09:41 am »
I recommend posting this question in the Triode Wire Labs Circle and the Zen Wave Circles too.

Ok, thanks.  I'll take a look at their website.

john925

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2017, 11:16 am »
John

You need to give a price range with a limit otherwise the suggestions will be all over the map including the usual "use the black one that came in the box" crowd.

The reason why I didn't list a price range is the price may differ from where they are sold.  For example, I can get IeGo cables cheaper here locally in Taiwan, but i believe it will sell more expensive overseas.  The second reason is I won't mind buying second hand.  So price might not be a good index.  From my pervious survey, lessloss is said to have good result with Class D amplifiers.  And like witchdoctor mentioned, the Triode Wire Labs seems to have a model that works best with Class D amplifiers.  That's why I would like to listen to your experience. 

John

john925

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2017, 11:18 am »
oh, forget to mention.  I'm planning to use 4 power cords, because I'm going to build biamp with 4 Reference 20.  Speaker is Von Schweikert VR-5 MKII, DAC is Totaldac d2-Four.  Yes, not d1-Four but d2-Four. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2017, 01:11 pm »
While far from the only good power cord, this is a very nice one. And well under $100.  Oh, shorter cords are better than longer cords.
(I don't know anything about Ram)

https://www.ramelectronics.net/PC.aspx

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2017, 02:55 pm »
John

With my Nuprime pair I have used Signal, Wireworld, Cullen and settled on Neotech.  I use TWL in the main system on the preamp and amp and if the additional cost upfront plus the import tariff don't bother you then that is where I would look. 

Samac

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2017, 03:43 pm »
JackD,

I'm currently using a WireWorld Status PC on my NuPrime IDA-16. Would you mind posting what you preferred about the  Neotech over the WireWorld PC? Also, which WireWorld PC were you using? I'm considering trying other PCs. TIA

Cheers,

Scott

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2017, 06:05 pm »
Samac

I found the Wireworld Stratus to be thin sounding on the ST-10 though it was o.k. on the DAC-10.  What caused me to move away though on both pieces was the IEC connector which didn't want to stay put and the difficulty routing due to the unusual shape.  The Neotech just sounds more authoritative  to me.

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2017, 10:56 pm »
These are excellent and a steal at the price.

http://www.riteaudiocables.com/index.html

Samac

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:16 am »
Samac

I found the Wireworld Stratus to be thin sounding on the ST-10 though it was o.k. on the DAC-10.  What caused me to move away though on both pieces was the IEC connector which didn't want to stay put and the difficulty routing due to the unusual shape.  The Neotech just sounds more authoritative  to me.

Thanks for the reply, JackD, it is helpful. The one thing I didn't want to hear was that you thought the Stratus was thin sounding but I'm not totally shocked and was prepared for it. Looks like I'll be going on a PC journey. I'll put NeoTech on the list.

Cheers,

Scott

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:33 am »
Scott

Might want to consider one of the TWL cords for sale in the Trading Post.  I am using them on the amp, preamp and conditioner and Neotech on the rest in the Main system.  In the system with the Nuprime gear I am using a Neotech on the ST-10 and Cullen Cable on the rest of the gear.  The Cullen's are good cables at fair prices and Patrick is a really good guy.  From all reports Dave at Zenwave makes good stuff too just never tried any.

john925

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2017, 06:56 am »
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to contact Triode Wire Labs to see what suggestion is offered. 

In Taiwan, Neotech is quite easy to be available.  So, I may have change to test, too.

Genez

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2017, 10:44 pm »
hello,

I'm trying to look for an upgrade on my power cords for the Reference20.  I'm wondering what you are using for Nuprime amplifiers that fit very well. 

John

My experience with Nuprime and a Furman power conditioner that reads amperage usage, made the Furman technical helper to think I had a defective one.   For my amp and preamp were hardly drawing power.

For that reason... The type of highly efficient amplification used by NuPrime leads me to believe you will not need the big hefty cords used for high current analog type amplifiers.   I own a NuPrime ST-10 and use the following power cord with excellent results.

Here is what I am using.   

Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII Signature Power Cable.   http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14S2

I learned from a power cord designer  (and audio designer)  that shorter cords will not sound as good as cords at least 6 feet (2 meters) long. 

He explained something to me about how the power cord's copper acts like an electron reservoir....  Be that true, or not?  The six footers do sound excellent with any equipment I have used so far.  You can spend much, much more if you like.  The man who designs the Pangea power cords has also designed some cords for other companies that sell for much more...

UPDATE:
   That was then.  I just auditioned a Triode Wire Labs American Digital power cable....  It put the Pangea in the dust.  Expensive compared to the Pangea, but less expensive when compared with the power cords it directly competes with.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2019, 11:31 pm by Genez »

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2017, 07:16 pm »
He explained something to me about how the power cord's copper acts like an electron reservoir.
Please, this is so full of shit.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2017, 08:50 pm »
Electrons do not work that way. I say this not a power cord designer or audio designer, but as a guy who has several degrees in metallurgy and nearly twenty years of lab experience working with metals and electron analysis methods.

If the power cord is somehow acting as a reservoir, then it is behaving like a capacitor and that is not something you want on that side of the power supply.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2017, 09:20 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to contact Triode Wire Labs to see what suggestion is offered. 

In Taiwan, Neotech is quite easy to be available.  So, I may have change to test, too.

Hi, John.

If you're not in a hurry to try new PCs, I will be back in Taiwan by November. I have 2 TWL power cords - a digital American and a 10+. My wife and I have a place in Taoyuan City. You're welcome to try either of the power cords. I've also got a PC from the guy who made my preamp that might interest you. It cost just $109 USD, though I took it to Taiwan in my luggage.

Alternatively, there's a great audio DIY shop in Taipei called THLaudio.com. It's located between Fuxing and Jianguo Roads fairly close to Shimin Da Dao. Ah-Chuan Tsai is very knowledgeable about audio. I'm certain he could set you up with great DIY PCs or they could add connectors for a small fee. Tell him Michael sent you in. Oh, wait. Do you speak Mandarin? Ah-Chuan's English is not the best, but he's very enthusiastic about audio (and scotch).

Where on the island are you located?

Michael