IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

pastor

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #500 on: 23 Feb 2018, 07:47 am »
I have one question.. In amp's specs is stated that signal from analog input will be digitized. Is that means that there is no sense of connecting external  DAC? ( I read here that people are sometimes connecting external DACs, so I'm wondering.. ) http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/product/ida-8/?v=b0c4bc877c29

ripeart

« Reply #501 on: 26 Feb 2018, 06:10 am »
Hello. I'm sure this is addressed here however I am unable to search for posts.  :roll:  I received an IDA-8 a few days ago. It came with the dongle. Could someone let me know how to stream over wifi to the device? The manual is of no help.

Thanks!

John Casler

« Reply #502 on: 26 Feb 2018, 06:05 pm »
I have one question.. In amp's specs is stated that signal from analog input will be digitized. Is that means that there is no sense of connecting external  DAC? ( I read here that people are sometimes connecting external DACs, so I'm wondering.. ) http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/product/ida-8/?v=b0c4bc877c29

That is true.  If you use the RCA Analog Inputs the signal will be digitized through an ADC, so in theory you will be performing DAC to ADC to DAC.  No advantage to that.

Use the DAC-9 instead.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2018, 07:08 pm by John Casler »

envydd

« Reply #503 on: 26 Feb 2018, 07:07 pm »
Hello. I'm sure this is addressed here however I am unable to search for posts.  :roll:  I received an IDA-8 a few days ago. It came with the dongle. Could someone let me know how to stream over wifi to the device? The manual is of no help.

Thanks!

I have the IDA6 with a dongle but it would be no different from IDA8 for this question. You have a few options:
- NuP WR100D .... havent done this yet
- Raspberry PI with a Allo Digione and connect it to the IDA (and use VolumeIO)
- Airport express has a 96/24 optical out and is an airplay endpoint
- Chromecast audio has a 96/24 optical out (my most used streamer)
- NuP has an alpha Pi case + uDSD dac solution (search the threads)

John Casler

« Reply #504 on: 26 Feb 2018, 07:14 pm »

Thanks!

The Dongle is for Bluetooth devices.

All you do is plug it in, and cycle through the INPUTS and select the "E" input of the IDA-8

Then on your Bluetooth device, search for the NuPRIME BTR-8 and SELECT it.

Play some music on your phone or tablet, and it will be transmitted to the IDA-8.

ripeart

« Reply #505 on: 26 Feb 2018, 07:44 pm »
Thank you. I see. The marketing text is misleading.

"... DSD 256 with the convenience of wireless audio in a small, handsomely designed..."

So in this context wireless means "Bluetooth" not Wi-Fi. I also see this statement: "– Extension port for Bluetooth dongle (included) or future release of optional Wi-Fi dongle"

Do we have an ETA for Wi-Fi implementation? Also, what's the fidelity like over bluetooth? (I suppose I could just hook it up and listen!)

rustydoglim

« Reply #506 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:06 am »
I should change the text on IDA-8 product page.
The WiFi receiver is the WR-100D, shipping for months already.  The E port provides S/PDIF signal as well as 5V power, so you can just connect WR-100D directly to IDA-8, without using external 5V adapter for WR-100D.

pastor

« Reply #507 on: 12 Mar 2018, 07:55 am »
That is true.  If you use the RCA Analog Inputs the signal will be digitized through an ADC, so in theory you will be performing DAC to ADC to DAC.  No advantage to that.

Use the DAC-9 instead.

Thank you!

huhpaul

« Reply #508 on: 6 May 2018, 09:56 am »
Does anybody have any experience of this amp and Focal speakers, specifically the Focal Electra series? I've read that this amp is neutral with a slight warmth which I'm thinking may be a good match.

Thanks for any thoughts!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #509 on: 6 May 2018, 03:21 pm »
Which model do you own - 1008, 1028, 1038?

The 1008’s sensitivity is 89dB, so that’s not a concern.

I’ve owned the IDA-8 for about two and a half years now, and I’ve tried a dozen or so speakers with it. I think it’s best suited to speakers with sensitivity in the 85 or 86dB to 91(?)dB range. Higher sensitivity and very resolving speakers tend to sound a bit thin with it. Low sensitivity speakers don’t quite wake up and sing with it.

I really like pairing my 87dB Adelphos two-way monitors to it. The IDA-8 is my lowest priced amp, but I always grab it when I’m traveling. It’s a great little amp.

I thought about this a bit more and decided to ask you about your budget. The Electras are pretty decent speakers worthy of better amplification and/or better DAC. The IDA-16 might be worth trying even though it’s not warm sounding. Another idea is a DAC-9 paired to an ST-10 amp.
Michael

huhpaul

« Reply #510 on: 7 May 2018, 01:26 am »
Thanks mresseguie!

Focal Electra 1008be is the model.
My budget is around $1200. looking for the DAC with it too, also compactness is important, which led me to the IDA-8.
The IDA-16 is out of my budget at this time.

mresseguie

« Reply #511 on: 7 May 2018, 01:44 am »
I had guessed it might be budget constraints. I think it’s possible to stay darned near your $1200 budget by buying used DAC-9 and used ST-10 (or even demo pieces).  The DAC-9 I bought was a demo unit.

There’s a website called Hifi Shark (www.hifishark.com) that can save your searches and send you email notification every week. It scours dozens of audio sites’ classifieds for the product you’re seeking. I just checked - there are no used pieces in the US at this time.

A DAC-9 plus ST-10 will give you considerably more satisfaction than an IDA-8 in my opinion. And, yes, I also own an ST-10.

I don’t know where you’re located, but all my Nuprime purchases have been made through John Casler. He’s great to work with.

Regards,

Michael

envydd

« Reply #512 on: 7 May 2018, 03:13 am »
Another option is to buy a HD-AVA which is being sold at a throwaway price at nuoem.com and it is less than 1200 right now - it has the guts of DAC10 and the IDA-16.

+1 to John Casler. I bought my HD-AVA from him - open box - and he gave me a great price for it. Enjoying it everyday via daphile+NUC (USB), chrome cast (optical) and oppo 203 (analog out)

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #513 on: 7 May 2018, 05:36 am »
That is also almost the price of a DAC-9 + STA-9. I think that would be a great option too.

huhpaul

« Reply #514 on: 7 May 2018, 01:12 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I'll check that used site.
I'm in Daegu, South Korea and I can find the IDA-8, STA-9 here for sure. I think the DAC is possible to get here too. I'm almost certain the other suggestions would have to be imported, so would bump up prices with import charges and shipping.

mresseguie

« Reply #515 on: 7 May 2018, 01:26 pm »
huhpaul,

Sending you a PM in a few minutes. Look for it under 'My Messages' at the top.

Michael

onurb

« Reply #516 on: 23 May 2018, 06:55 am »
Hello,
why the analog input of IDA 8 is digitized?

dekiller

« Reply #517 on: 23 May 2018, 09:03 am »
I have just try ida-8 at home. Within two days of run-in, I found it has remarkable bass. But , story ends there. Mid and high are unbearable even compare to half its cost Yamaha class D streaming amp. Is it a matter of power supply ? When I look into some famous PA brand,  they uses smps for full-range amp and transformer with sub-amp only.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #518 on: 23 May 2018, 09:38 pm »
What speakers are you using? What other associated equipment?

Still, you may believe or not that DACs and Amps require sobre break in.  Most people tend to agree that they do (I'm still on the fence).  Whether it is real or it is you getting used to it, is a subject of great controversy.  Still, it may be worth giving it a longer run of evaluation?

Hope your situation improves, best regards,
Rafa.

mresseguie

« Reply #519 on: 23 May 2018, 10:16 pm »
dekiller,

Rafapolit's question is a good one.

In addition, what sized room are you in?

What music are you listening to?

How loudly are you listening?

Two days of burn in is a very short time. I have learned to wait at least 200 hours before I think about telling people my impressions or asking opinions.

Regards,

Michael