What Avant-garde music or Free Improvisation Are You Currently Listening To?

andolink

I frequently listen to music of this sort which doesn't really fit into any of the pre-existing music categories here so I decided to just start this new thread.  The music posted here can include everything from free jazz/collective improvisation and electro-acoustic improv to things even further out into the avant-garde.  So to lead things off--

Chris Burn EnsembleHorizontals White (2001)

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2017, 02:57 pm by andolink »

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Oh, that’s very funny, Andolink, you crack me up.
My friends accuse me of audio schizophrenia because of the strong collection of free jazz
mixed in with the dominant collection of classical. In the 90s I went heavily into the Dutch and British. Happily I’ve been to the Bim Huis and live close enough to make the occasional NYC concert and never miss the Guelph Jazz festival, well worth the travel. Big Chis Burn fan. Big ICP fan. Seen both several times.

Japan, Japon,
Misha Mengelberg and Icp Orchestra

andolink

Oh, that’s very funny, Andolink, you crack me up.
My friends accuse me of audio schizophrenia because of the strong collection of free jazz
mixed in with the dominant collection of classical. In the 90s I went heavily into the Dutch and British. Happily I’ve been to the Bim Huis and live close enough to make the occasional NYC concert and never miss the Guelph Jazz festival, well worth the travel. Big Chis Burn fan. Big ICP fan. Seen both several times.

Japan, Japon,
Misha Mengelberg and Icp Orchestra

Yes Lester it seems our musical trajectories have been on very similar timelines.  I've been into European free improv since the late 80's with the likes of Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, Alexander von Schlippenbach, Han Bennink, et. al. and all the electro-acoustic stuff that came around then and up to the present.

simoon

I don't listen to free jazz very often, but when the mood strikes, there are no substitutes.

I have a pretty sizable collection.

Not sure how Tomasz Stanko eluded me for so long, but I recently discovered him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbY5omy-Ce0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Ligeti is always good to listen.
Other nice works are Low Symphony, Heroes-Philip Glass, Subotnik, Walter Carlos, also this great movie>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTzW51a2_w

Johnny2Bad

Not sure if these are "avant garde" enough, but ...

Brian Eno
King Crimson
John Cale
Primus
Captain Beefheart

LesterSleepsIn

I’m not a Canadian (yet) but I’d like to send a shout out to the Guelph Int’l (improvisational) Jazz Festival held during the 2nd week in September. I’ve been going since the late 90s and I think this is a very special event indeed. The town of Guelph is a joy to visit, the town folk are friendly and inviting and there’s always a great selection of innovative/experimental Canadian
artists mixing with the international artists. I hope the festival returns to its original venue plan of having concerts in Guelph churches - a special treat - and more concerts in the wonderful Guelph Youth Centre.

Anyway, if you can make it, you’ll enjoy it. Just take a look at this year’s line-up:
https://guelphjazzfestival.com/2017artists/

And if like me you like to read about music almost as you do listening to it, you might enjoy Kevin Whitehead’s
New Dutch Swing (highly recommended) as well as:

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm by LesterSleepsIn »

cfisher835

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just about to start a similar one on CA. I look forward to seeing what people are listening to. Here's what I have on at the moment:

cfisher835

And now Amir ElSaffar is sounding pretty good:

cfisher835

Mr Peabody

I'm not so familiar with this genre but I picked up Esperanza Spalding, Speria and like it real well.  If you like more Avant her later albums you might like better.  She recently put together her latest album on Facebook Live, recorded direct and no prior writing or material, that's about as free as it gets.  That album has a limited number being pressed.

andolink

(Recorded live at the Kitchen, September 18, 1981.)

(John Russell, acoustic plectrum guitar & Roger Turner, drumset and percussion)

LesterSleepsIn

Ah, the trusted Emanem label

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
The late New Albion Records from SF/Castro recorded only avantgarde and modern music:
http://www.newalbion.com/
SAMPLES-scrool downhttp://www.newalbion.com/contact.html

andolink

ignaz schick - electronics
jörg maria zeger - electric guitar
burkhard beins - percussion

peripherique I 43:50
peripherique II 13:09

rec. live at instants chavires, paris, 12/2000

zarek CD, zarek 07, d 2001

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
An of the best composers that walk between art rock and classical music is Glenn Branca, here in the 13º Symphony for 100 e-guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiJ--uM4FXw

andolink

Cremaster w/ Angharad Davies, violin

Cremaster are--
Alfredo Costa Monteiro:  electro-acoustic devices, speakers, electric guitar
Ferran Fages:  feedback mixing board, electro-acoustic devices

LesterSleepsIn

AMM
From A Strange Place PSFD-80 CD JAPAN

Dedicated AMM fan here. I once sat in a church pew next to Eddie Prevost during an Evan Parker concert and I asked him what the abbreviation AMM stood for and he replied “Ain’t Much Money”.

andolink

AMM
From A Strange Place PSFD-80 CD JAPAN

Dedicated AMM fan here. I once sat in a church pew next to Eddie Prevost during an Evan Parker concert and I asked him what the abbreviation AMM stood for and he replied “Ain’t Much Money”.

I'll be getting to my 2 AMM discs by an by--

The Inexhaustible Document

and

LesterSleepsIn

My favorite AMM, like a lost radio signal from the 1950s being broadcast from Antartica, or perhaps from Newfoundland.