Tracking Force / BSR TT on Vintage Fisher 125 Receiver

PSP

Long story short, I found some old 78's (wife's family, in an old box) that I want to listen to, and my "good TT" won't handle 78's (Thorens TD-160 => 33 and 45 rpm only).  Also, from my wife's family, I have a "The Fisher 125 Receiver", AM/FM with a BSR Turntable on top that does 78rpm.  I've found a suitable stylus for 78rpm.  The problem:  the tracking force (stylus recommendation is 3-5 grams) is immeasurably high using a Shure Stylus Force Gauge SFG-2.  I bought a service manual, but it says nothing about mechanical setup or adjustments.  There is a flat plastic Phillips screw-head next to the tonearm post labeled 2 4 6 which moves smoothly when you turn it, so that's probably the VTF adjustment but turning it has no visible effect on the tonearm balance (it may still work, since the current--problematic--VTF is huge).  The aft end of the tonearm (where you might expect to see a counterweight) is a smooth black 0.25 inch OD tubular extension of the tubular aluminum tonearm.  I don't see any marks (e.g., from the set screw of a counterweight).  Pictures of the Fisher 125 Receiver that I can find on the web are all very dark where a counterweight would go, and my best guess is there wasn't one.

This morning, just trying to find out just how out of balance the tonearm is, I hung large machine nuts on the aft extension of the tonearm; I was able to get a level tonearm by hanging 42 grams very near the aft end of the tonearm (where one would expect to find a counterweight).  In the absence of better advice, my plan is to machine a cylindrical aluminum counterweight with a set-screw and a fine-adjust screw at the rear of the counterweight.  I'm confident in my ability to do this, but I would be much happier if someone could sugest a better way/the right way to do this.

I am primarily interested in listening to "I Can Hear it Now" (Edward Murrow, Ike, Roosevelt, Churchill, et.al discussing WWII in a five-disk set that looks pretty good) plus a lot of music that looks like it's had a long tough life in a stack with all the other 78's in the stack.  Thus, a "does the job" solution that's not quite audiophile-grade would be sufficient in this case.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Pete

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Tracking Force / BSR TT on Vintage Fisher 125 Receiver
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2018, 09:35 pm »
I'd rig a lead fishing weight on a string with a loop, and move to balance.  If there isn't enough attachment extension out the rear of the tonearm, epoxy a bit of coat hanger to extend it.   There's no reason to make something more permanent for a low end rig that you are only going to use a few times. 

Scott F.

Re: Tracking Force / BSR TT on Vintage Fisher 125 Receiver
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2018, 10:48 am »
I know this will look hokey but....a penny (post 1982) weighs 3.56 grams. Go to zero balance on the tonearm then tape a penny to the head shell. It will work just fine.
Keep in mind, 78's don't use RIAA equalization so the sound will be off a bit but you've got tone controls to help a bit.

It should be a fun listen. If you can find more 78's, there is a whole host of music out there that you've likely never heard before, early western (before it was country), old pop music of the day, plenty of classical and opera, and if you're really lucky, early jazz and blues.
I've got a dedicated 78 system (a Stromberg mono amp and single Altec speaker). The fidelity can be surprisingly good on a quality recording.
Bottom line, don't take reproduction too seriously and have fun with it.
Enjoy!