More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

wushuliu

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #100 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:09 pm »
Thank you, I was planning to use it with AudioEngine speakers.

Two reason.  One is that I have yet to listen to an AKM based implementation and other is that so far all of the ESS based DAC I have heard I have found them to be bit bright

There is no AKM equivalent of the SMSL IDEA or Sabaj DA3. SMSL does have an AKM desktop-type dac, I think it's called Sanskrit or something like that. I am not familiar with its specs.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #101 on: 17 Oct 2017, 05:44 pm »
There is no AKM equivalent of the SMSL IDEA or Sabaj DA3. SMSL does have an AKM desktop-type dac, I think it's called Sanskrit or something like that. I am not familiar with its specs.

What about his comment "all of the ESS based DAC I have heard I have found them to be bit bright".

Have others found this to be the case?

Cheers,
Lester

shadowlight

« Reply #102 on: 17 Oct 2017, 05:52 pm »
What about his comment "all of the ESS based DAC I have heard I have found them to be bit bright".

Cheers,
Lester

I have a tendency to get earache when I listen to bright sound so I try to avoid it as much as possible.  I am still likely to end up purchasing the DAC if they do not work out I am not out a lot of cash, if I am unable to find alternate solution.

wushuliu

« Reply #103 on: 17 Oct 2017, 06:01 pm »

Cheers,
Lester

Although I am partial to ESS, I have listened to plenty of other budget dacs and most importantly from a broad range of companies. In that spectrum I find ESS to be neutral/cool, but not bright. AD1955 Dacs like the Emotiva, THAT is bright and has a reputation for it. I'm not a fan. But a lot depends on implementation. The worst ESS dacs I've heard were the ODAC and Hifimediy - those were definitely bright and edgy. Otherwise, I'd say there is a reason ESS has such a big following - they hit a nice balance.

If you're partial to warm/smooth, these will not be a great fit.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #104 on: 17 Oct 2017, 06:48 pm »
Although I am partial to ESS, I have listened to plenty of other budget dacs and most importantly from a broad range of companies. In that spectrum I find ESS to be neutral/cool, but not bright. AD1955 Dacs like the Emotiva, THAT is bright and has a reputation for it. I'm not a fan. But a lot depends on implementation. The worst ESS dacs I've heard were the ODAC and Hifimediy - those were definitely bright and edgy. Otherwise, I'd say there is a reason ESS has such a big following - they hit a nice balance.

If you're partial to warm/smooth, these will not be a great fit.

Thanks for that .. and for this thread. Yes, in fact, I am patial to warm/smooth but if these are neutral they might work. Not a big investment, as shadowlight mentioned. Anyone have thoughts on an affordable warm/smooth dac?

fredgarvin

« Reply #105 on: 18 Oct 2017, 04:37 am »
Couple of questions:
1) What do I need to order for Da3 if I want to hook it up to desktop computer and speakers?  I am assuming it comes standard with USB cable.  Will I need anything else?
2) Any one aware of any cheap dac based on AKM chip with similar specs?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BREEZE-AUDIO-SU0-XMOS-U8-USB-DAC-AK4490-Headphone-amp-schiit-modi-killer-/182807654428?hash=item2a902f701c:g:4DgAAOSwrFJZ1V1l

wushuliu

« Reply #106 on: 18 Oct 2017, 03:00 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BREEZE-AUDIO-SU0-XMOS-U8-USB-DAC-AK4490-Headphone-amp-schiit-modi-killer-/182807654428?hash=item2a902f701c:g:4DgAAOSwrFJZ1V1l

Just a note: that DAC uses the older U8 Xmos, not the newer 208 in the Idea and Sabaj. The newer XMOS play an important part in the sound quality.

shadowlight

« Reply #108 on: 25 Oct 2017, 12:12 am »
I purchased the Sabaj DA3 and received it today.  Installed the ASIO drivers from Sabaj's website and able to play PCM up sampled to 768 no issues, but DSD I get nothing but static, with very faint music in the background.  I am using HQPlayer on Win10 system, with unbalanced jack connected to AE 5 speakers.  I tried 44.1k x 512, 48k x 512 and couple of other lower settings.

If you have DSD working can you let me know your settings.

JDUBS

« Reply #109 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:34 am »
I purchased the Sabaj DA3 and received it today.  Installed the ASIO drivers from Sabaj's website and able to play PCM up sampled to 768 no issues, but DSD I get nothing but static, with very faint music in the background.  I am using HQPlayer on Win10 system, with unbalanced jack connected to AE 5 speakers.  I tried 44.1k x 512, 48k x 512 and couple of other lower settings.

If you have DSD working can you let me know your settings.

Does the correct sample rate show up on the Sabaj and / or the driver icon in the tray?

-Jim

shadowlight

« Reply #110 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:58 am »
Does the correct sample rate show up on the Sabaj and / or the driver icon in the tray?

-Jim

It sure does.  I restarted everything now it is playing 256 dsd fine and at 512 I get stuttering (my pc does not have enough power to convert).  Let's see what happens tomorrow when I try again.

JDUBS

« Reply #111 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:43 am »
It sure does.  I restarted everything now it is playing 256 dsd fine and at 512 I get stuttering (my pc does not have enough power to convert).  Let's see what happens tomorrow when I try again.

Ok, so it sounds like the DAC is working fine.

Btw, for DSD upsampling you might want to try a different program.  I've found that foo_input_sacd (in either Foobar or JRiver) sounds VERY close to HQPlayer and is super light weight in term of system resource usage.

-Jim

karnana

« Reply #112 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:44 am »
Is the DA-3 any better sounding than the Fiio K-1?
Definitely sounding better than Fiio E6  :lol:
 I got my da3 yesterday and loving it. I was expecting the decrease in noise level but the increase in detail exceeded my expectations. :o
It was picky with OTG cable, I don't know why. Works without any driver problem on my Note 4 and Windows pc.
Da3 uses x2 - x3 times more battery of my Note 4 so I may make a OTG cable with charging hack following here:
https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/my-projects/otg-diagrams

Since it has no driver or noise issues with android this will be the DAC I use until I can buy a Chord Mojo. :P

shadowlight

« Reply #113 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:28 pm »
Ok, so it sounds like the DAC is working fine.

Btw, for DSD upsampling you might want to try a different program.  I've found that foo_input_sacd (in either Foobar or JRiver) sounds VERY close to HQPlayer and is super light weight in term of system resource usage.

-Jim

Thx Jim.  I will look into it.

JDUBS

« Reply #114 on: 25 Oct 2017, 11:22 pm »
Thx Jim.  I will look into it.

Cool - let me know if you need any help.

-Jim

shadowlight

« Reply #115 on: 26 Oct 2017, 11:14 am »
Cool - let me know if you need any help.

-Jim
Will do.

karnana

« Reply #116 on: 28 Nov 2017, 06:51 am »
Can anyone compare sabaj da3 to chord mojo? :D

restrav

« Reply #118 on: 28 Nov 2017, 11:27 am »
andd this one?

restrav

« Reply #119 on: 28 Nov 2017, 11:28 am »
i started looking atthese because i am hoping to get Xmox 208 and RCA outputs and also headphone output and also stay away from ESS