6moons Cherry jr Announcement

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: 6moons Cherry jr Announcement
« Reply #20 on: 2 Apr 2010, 01:22 am »
We have a custom cable for bridging.  KNGALE1 --- Please send me a PM and we can discuss other options.

We are able to customize.

Thanks for your posts.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:23 pm »
How does one go about ordering an amp? I don't see a phone number or order form? I'm interested in the Cherry Jr. What's the turnaround time?  Where are you located? Thanks

Gary

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:31 am »
Hi Gary,

I can't answer all your questions, but...

1) At the bottom of the following web page... http://www.digitalamp.com/cherryjr.htm there is a PayPal order button.

2) Digital Amplifier Company is located in eastern PA.

Hopefully Tommy will be here soon to fill in any blanks.

Best, Barry

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:54 am »
Hi Gary,

I can't answer all your questions, but...

1) At the bottom of the following web page... http://www.digitalamp.com/cherryjr.htm there is a PayPal order button.

2) Digital Amplifier Company is located in eastern PA.

Hopefully Tommy will be here soon to fill in any blanks.

Best, Barry

Barry --- Thanks for the post.

Gary --- Please send an email to Support@DigitalAmp.com so I can tell you more.

All --- We have a few demos in stock that aren't spoken for, but they have the old chassis version.  Write to Support@DigitalAmp.com if you'd like more info.

Best Regards,
Tommy

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:51 am »

All --- We have a few demos in stock that aren't spoken for, but they have the old chassis version.  Write to Support@DigitalAmp.com if you'd like more info.

Best Regards,
Tommy

Tommy, I sent you an email earlier today to the email address on your contacts tab.

Gary

Delacroix

« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:01 am »
We can offer you a review in Affordable Audio, I'd be happy to help. Trouble is, many manufacturers don't seem to want to be considered affordable :)

mfsoa

« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:11 pm »
Hi Darth-

I tracked you here from the VSA circle  :wink:

Are you thinking of using one of Tommy's amps w/ your VR-33s? That'd be sweet!

I'm still lusting for a pair of 33's, and I plan on using them with the Cherry JR I now own, and eventually moving up Tommy's line (ooh, that sounds bad) when I can.

I actually commited audiophile sacrilidge and sold my VAC tube amp to raise funds for what I'm hoping will be a VR-33 / Digital Amp Co combo in the future.

I can tell you that the Cherry amps I've heard do really well with my VR4JRs, so I'm thinking that the match w/ the 33's would be stellar, especially because the imaging w/ the DAC amps is phenomenal (I think due to the sense of total control, top to bottom, I get w/ the amp) and the 33's are supposed to be great imagers, and imaging is very important in my list of sonic priorities.

Best of luck w/ whatever you do...

-Mike

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:28 pm »
Hi Darth-

I tracked you here from the VSA circle  :wink:

Are you thinking of using one of Tommy's amps w/ your VR-33s? That'd be sweet!

I'm still lusting for a pair of 33's, and I plan on using them with the Cherry JR I now own, and eventually moving up Tommy's line (ooh, that sounds bad) when I can.

I actually commited audiophile sacrilidge and sold my VAC tube amp to raise funds for what I'm hoping will be a VR-33 / Digital Amp Co combo in the future.

I can tell you that the Cherry amps I've heard do really well with my VR4JRs, so I'm thinking that the match w/ the 33's would be stellar, especially because the imaging w/ the DAC amps is phenomenal (I think due to the sense of total control, top to bottom, I get w/ the amp) and the 33's are supposed to be great imagers, and imaging is very important in my list of sonic priorities.

Best of luck w/ whatever you do...

-Mike
Hey Mike, I'm glad to hear from you. Quick question, do you miss that "Tube Magic"? I had owned the Spectron Musician III in the past and ended up going back to tubes? I did like the 500wpc!! But the amp didn't "involve" me in the music like my tube monos do. But after reading some info from Bill @ Response Audio (a big time tube guy himself) and I respect his opinion, that made me look at the Cherry amps. Plus my monos throw off a lot of heat and I have to set the AC pretty low to keep my listening position comfy!! The 30 day trial period will help a bunch.
BTW, my 33's are really singing now!! I also bought a pair of Audio Prism's Ground Control Reference. All I can say is WOW!! They are an amazing tweak!! I also have a pair of the regular GC's on my amps.

Take Care my friend,

Gary

mfsoa

« Reply #28 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:54 pm »
Gary,

There are some things the tubes I had do a bit better - Maybe capturing the resonant body of acoustic string instruments, maybe slightly more ultimate detail of cymbals (but man it's close). But the heat was a turn-off. I knew I'd be getting a Touch and would therefore want to play tunes all day if desired - I just didn't like the idea of consuming 300-400 watts continuous etc. And I lost a tube once and it took an expensive fuse with it and this ~ $100 "inconvenience" kinda stuck with me.

But there are many things the Cherry does better - One is imaging, in the sense of precision of image placement, the delineation of instrumental outlines and the overall sense of the size of the acoustic space (larger).

A story from one Rave at my place- Robin (Satfrat) was sitting in the left theater seat in my 2-channel room (This room is short front to back, so the outside seats are actually pretty close to the L and R speakers) when we swapped a Cherry in for my tubes. He instantly said "Wow, I can clearly hear the right speaker now" while w/ the tubes he could not.

Another is mid-bass definition - I hear a whole world of detail in this region that was glossed over before. And of course the lowest bass cannot be compared - The Cherry is fab at that, especially w/ the mondo Pangea on it.

One more thing - Tommy was over one night and we swapped between his digital front-end (Wadia Ipod dock into a small pro-type DAC) vs. my Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, and also between my VAC PA100/100 amp vs. a Cherry (sorry don't recall which one). There was FAR more difference in the sound of the sources than between the sounds of the amps, which suprised me. So, for whatever that was worth...

Another factor could be that I'm able to use the balanced outs from my VAC preamp into the true-balanced inputs of the Cherry (vs. RCA to RCA for the tube amp) so maybe there is some synergy there that I wasn't fully getting w/ the RCAs?

Of course this is all in my well-damped room w/ my ears etc. Who can say if it'll work to your liking except you.

All the best...

-Mike

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2010, 06:17 pm »
Gary,

There are some things the tubes I had do a bit better - Maybe capturing the resonant body of acoustic string instruments, maybe slightly more ultimate detail of cymbals (but man it's close). But the heat was a turn-off. I knew I'd be getting a Touch and would therefore want to play tunes all day if desired - I just didn't like the idea of consuming 300-400 watts continuous etc. And I lost a tube once and it took an expensive fuse with it and this ~ $100 "inconvenience" kinda stuck with me.

But there are many things the Cherry does better - One is imaging, in the sense of precision of image placement, the delineation of instrumental outlines and the overall sense of the size of the acoustic space (larger).

A story from one Rave at my place- Robin (Satfrat) was sitting in the left theater seat in my 2-channel room (This room is short front to back, so the outside seats are actually pretty close to the L and R speakers) when we swapped a Cherry in for my tubes. He instantly said "Wow, I can clearly hear the right speaker now" while w/ the tubes he could not.

Another is mid-bass definition - I hear a whole world of detail in this region that was glossed over before. And of course the lowest bass cannot be compared - The Cherry is fab at that, especially w/ the mondo Pangea on it.

One more thing - Tommy was over one night and we swapped between his digital front-end (Wadia Ipod dock into a small pro-type DAC) vs. my Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, and also between my VAC PA100/100 amp vs. a Cherry (sorry don't recall which one). There was FAR more difference in the sound of the sources than between the sounds of the amps, which suprised me. So, for whatever that was worth...

Another factor could be that I'm able to use the balanced outs from my VAC preamp into the true-balanced inputs of the Cherry (vs. RCA to RCA for the tube amp) so maybe there is some synergy there that I wasn't fully getting w/ the RCAs?

Of course this is all in my well-damped room w/ my ears etc. Who can say if it'll work to your liking except you.

All the best...

-Mike
What is "the mondo Pangea"? Power cord?

Big Red Machine

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:53 pm »

Best Regards,
Tommy

Tommy, you have an email.. Thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:34 am »
http://www.pangeaaudio.com/products.html

Although I like the Pangea cords (sold by Audio Advisor), I purchased 2 special cords from Mojo Audio that are more flexible and easier to handle.  They are not as thick, but I'm pretty sure the difference is 9 gauge wire versus 10 gauge wire as far as the thickness.  The Mojo cords also have non-plated (pure copper) contacts.  There's a ferrite sleeve on the amp side and nice "Cherry red" connector shells.  However --- these cords don't appear on the web site yet.  Maybe Ben from Mojo can comment...

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2010, 02:49 am »
Although I like the Pangea cords (sold by Audio Advisor), I purchased 2 special cords from Mojo Audio that are more flexible and easier to handle.  They are not as thick, but I'm pretty sure the difference is 9 gauge wire versus 10 gauge wire as far as the thickness.  The Mojo cords also have non-plated (pure copper) contacts.  There's a ferrite sleeve on the amp side and nice "Cherry red" connector shells.  However --- these cords don't appear on the web site yet.  Maybe Ben from Mojo can comment...
Tommy, you have a PM!!

Mojo

« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:05 am »
Thanks for the plug on my power cords Tommy (no pun intended).

In the world of power plugs, there is no shortage of companies that manufacture high quality solid brass or plated plug sets.

On the other hand, there are very few companies that have recognized the virtues of PURE COPPER contacts for audio.

At one time I used Furutech plug sets on my top-of-the-line power cords...that was until I compared $250 Furutech FI-25R to a $20 Chinese made PURE COPPER plug set.

The BIG difference was in COHERENCY. The time, tune, and phase alignment is MUCH better with the pure copper. There is no glare or frequency exaggerations. The sound is more relaxed, more organic, and more musical.

Bottom line: we've done several side-by-side comparisons of the "who's who" in power plugs. In EVERY case even the most modest of pure copper sounds better than plated plugs.

This was not compared to "some plated plug" but to the best-of-the-best.

BTW, the Furutech FI-11 Cu is NOT pure copper...it is copper plated brass and not even a contender.

Originally I purchased the RED copper plug sets used on your power cords from eBay. Later I had the manufacturer do a special production run for me with a few upgrades.

The big difference between the standard RED and my custom made CLEAR copper plugs is a ruggedized strain relief that allows for more secure clamping of the cord. The copper plugs are IDENTICAL with the clear and red plug sets.

Though we do still make them for custom orders, we no longer advertise our power cords with integrated ferrite like the ones you have.

I now offer an optional removable ferrite core. This lets you compare with and without ferrite on different gear. From our experience, the ferrite improves the sound on DIGITAL COMPONENTS like; CD players, DVD players, DACs, transports, and DIGITAL AMPS (class D, class T, and Ice Power).

The problem is that some gear has INTERNAL ferrite cores. Because of this we felt it better to make a more versatile removable ferrite core.

Also, recently I've began using an even higher quality pure copper plug set on my top-of-the-line power cords. The contacts are a purer grade of copper with a high polish finish and the insulator is Teflon. These cords also have an anti-resonant covering that give them better focus.

Obviously, the basic version of my CROSS-HELIX power cords with the CLEAR plug sets that sell on eBay for under $200 are the best value for your $$$.

Speaking of PURE COPPER connectors...

I'm just about to release two new products; interconnects and digital cables. You should be able to read about them along with my new top-of-the-line power cords on my website in the next week or so (Mojo-Audio.com).

Both use PURE COPPER connectors and both sound better than ANYTHING my distributors have ever heard at ANY price (stuff that costs 5X the price).

Both also come with my no non-sense 30-day money back guaranty.

It's easy to offer a guaranty like that considering last year only ONE customer asked for their $$$ back (seriously). Interestingly enough, the cords they returned had Furutch plug sets.

I think that says it all.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my products they should contact me rather than going through the automated system on my website. I often have unadvertised specials and I usually offer discounts on multiple purchases.

~Benjamin

jzexport

« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2010, 03:04 pm »
Hey Mike, I'm glad to hear from you. Quick question, do you miss that "Tube Magic"? I had owned the Spectron Musician III in the past and ended up going back to tubes? I did like the 500wpc!! But the amp didn't "involve" me in the music like my tube monos do. But after reading some info from Bill @ Response Audio (a big time tube guy himself) and I respect his opinion, that made me look at the Cherry amps. Plus my monos throw off a lot of heat and I have to set the AC pretty low to keep my listening position comfy!! The 30 day trial period will help a bunch.
BTW, my 33's are really singing now!! I also bought a pair of Audio Prism's Ground Control Reference. All I can say is WOW!! They are an amazing tweak!! I also have a pair of the regular GC's on my amps.

Take Care my friend,

Gary

Well, I’m not missing my tube amp. No heat, less electricity, no biasing, no balancing, and I’m sure I will never miss inopportune blown fuses, tube failures, or the hassle from buying mismatched matched sets, etc.

As for sound, I think it’s a matter of taste and priorities. I think the difference between my tube amps (Music Reference RM9 MKII, Moscode 150 (a hybrid), and Wolcott The Presence) and DAC’s Cherry Plus is like the difference between a sharp camera lens and the same lens with a diffusing filter on it. A diffusing filter may be nice to hide wrinkles on a middle aged face, but not so nice when your subject deserves crystal clarity.

In the switch from tubes to a Cherry Plus does my system capture the resonant body of acoustic string instruments? For sure. More than is real? No. Less than is real? Probably not. What about the ultimate detail of cymbals or triangles? More than is real? No. Less than is real? Absolutely not.

Last weekend I went to the opera. Because of the solo, unamplified singing, it is a very good way to hear the real thing. While I was there, I kept thinking, your system has never sounded as close to real as it does now. The next day, I played a CD of the same opera and confirmed that impression.

As I’ve posted before, in my opinion, if your priorities are to clean, pure, transparent, effortless sound, you should check out a Cherry Plus, even if you have a predisposition to tube amps.

Are the DAC amps the best in the world? I wouldn’t have a clue and would never say such, as I’ve not auditioned many amps, and especially not Class A designs, which may perform as well, but which I dismissed for cost, power consumption and heat reasons. What I can say is that in my system, the Cherry Plus is a clear improvement from my Music Reference RM9 MKII tube amp.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2010, 03:20 pm »
Well, I’m not missing my tube amp. No heat, less electricity, no biasing, no balancing, and I’m sure I will never miss inopportune blown fuses, tube failures, or the hassle from buying mismatched matched sets, etc.

As for sound, I think it’s a matter of taste and priorities. I think the difference between my tube amps (Music Reference RM9 MKII, Moscode 150 (a hybrid), and Wolcott The Presence) and DAC’s Cherry Plus is like the difference between a sharp camera lens and the same lens with a diffusing filter on it. A diffusing filter may be nice to hide wrinkles on a middle aged face, but not so nice when your subject deserves crystal clarity.

In the switch from tubes to a Cherry Plus does my system capture the resonant body of acoustic string instruments? For sure. More than is real? No. Less than is real? Probably not. What about the ultimate detail of cymbals or triangles? More than is real? No. Less than is real? Absolutely not.

Last weekend I went to the opera. Because of the solo, unamplified singing, it is a very good way to hear the real thing. While I was there, I kept thinking, your system has never sounded as close to real as it does now. The next day, I played a CD of the same opera and confirmed that impression.

As I’ve posted before, in my opinion, if your priorities are to clean, pure, transparent, effortless sound, you should check out a Cherry Plus, even if you have a predisposition to tube amps.

Are the DAC amps the best in the world? I wouldn’t have a clue and would never say such, as I’ve not auditioned many amps, and especially not Class A designs, which may perform as well, but which I dismissed for cost, power consumption and heat reasons. What I can say is that in my system, the Cherry Plus is a clear improvement from my Music Reference RM9 MKII tube amp.
Nice reply, thanks. Though I never have had the issues you speak of with my tube amps other than heat in the summertime. And if my electric bill is $50 or $150 I really don't care (I enjoy music that much). I was only looking for an amp to use in the summertime due to the heat or for my second system??
But since I can't get Tommy to respond to my inquiries, I think my search will go into a different direction. But I do appreciate your's and Mike's insight. Thanks again guys.

Gary

Mojo

« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2010, 04:09 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I've been modifying and building tube electronics since the late '70s and I'm a DIE HARD tube head. Originally I liked the "classic tube" sound but in later years I found that what I was doing/liking was COVERING UP the flaws in the rest of my system.

My later tube amp modifications/designs had MUCH more sophisticated power supplies and sounded more NEUTRAL with the best virtues of both tube and SS amps.

The only SS amps that could turn my head were class A (up until recently). Some of the better digital amps I've heard are part of some of the best systems I've heard...EVER.

Over the past couple of years I've been hearing digital amps (class D, class T, and Ice Power) in several systems. Some of these systems have impressed me enough to consider a digital amp to replace my highly modified Conrad-Johnson tube amp.

Often these digital amps were paired up with better tube preamps or tube DACs in these best-of-the-best systems.

Tube amp vs. good digital amp?

I really liked the comment about "soft focus"...right on description.

Another interesting thing to listen for is TIME and TUNE. The better digital amps are VERY precise and articulate and don't suffer from the "power supply sag" that most tube amps and many SS amps suffer from.

They are not only CRYSTAL CLEAR, but they don't lose time and tune with intense dynamics and complex music.

Don't get me wrong...they are not perfect and they are not all created equal.

To start with, as a general rule, digital amps are BRUTALLY accurate and will show you the flaws in the rest of your system (especially the front end).

Also, they are not all created equal. I recently met Tommy of Cherry fame at an audiophile RAVE in the NY/NJ area. There were two other digital amps at this event as well as SEVERAL highly modified tube and tube hybrid amps.

The other digital amps were VERY clear and dynamic but QUITE hard to listen to. It was no wonder many audiophiles would rather "soften" their system with tubes after hearing these amps.

Tommy put his Cherry amp in the EXACT same system as the "ear bleeder" competitor's digital amp was just removed. It was simply MAGIC.

The Cherry amp had all the detail and dynamics of the other digital amps but was SOPHISTICATED and REFINED. There was NO EDGE or electronic sound. I have to say that it was the best sounding amp I heard the entire day (against some pretty stiff competition).

I'm a small OEM of audiophile products. My power cords have the reputation of consistently beating ones that cost 5X to 10X the price with Stereophile class A ratings. My newly released NOS D/A converter, ICs, and digital cables are getting the same "high value" reputation.

I am SERIOUSLY considering using a Cherry amp as the amp in my REFERENCE R&D system.

I think that says it all.

~Benjamin

jzexport

« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:42 pm »
Nice reply, thanks. Though I never have had the issues you speak of with my tube amps other than heat in the summertime. And if my electric bill is $50 or $150 I really don't care (I enjoy music that much). I was only looking for an amp to use in the summertime due to the heat or for my second system??
But since I can't get Tommy to respond to my inquiries, I think my search will go into a different direction. But I do appreciate your's and Mike's insight. Thanks again guys.

Gary

Good luck, Gary. It's not so much the cost as the efficiency, but I'm laughing at myself, because my fun car is a M3, and I am definitely not considering trading it for a low octane, high mpg vehicle :D.

Too bad Tommy is not being responsive. Cmon, Tommy, we want you to make some sales, thrive and advance the technology.

Mojo

« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:31 pm »
BTW, another BIG difference between digital amps and most amps (especially tube amps) is the LOW NOISE FLOOR.

Don't go by the specs...most specs tell you what they want to tell you and RARELY do they tell you the REAL story.

This is what most tube heads (including me) don't always want to admit or simply don't understand.

The "space" and "air" and "depth" and all that stuff that is usually associated with tubes is what I like to call an "attractive distortion" (hard to admit but true).

It is in fact DISTORTION that just happens to be pleasing and results in a "special effect" that is desirable.

What it took me a LONG time to realize is that the musical signal itself has all of the subtle "spacial cues" in the low level harmonic content to give you all the space, air, image, depth and whatever you desire.

The problem is that LOW LEVEL NOISE and phase/time misalignment distort the subtle information in the musical signal resulting in a flat and closed in sound.

Tubes give the ILLUSION of restoring this depth and space but actually they cover it up more with their own noise.

If you hear a good digital amp with the right front end (low noise as well), you will not only hear as much or more depth, space, and air, but you will also hear an ARTICULATION and PRECISION that no tube amp can even come close to.

It's simple PHYSICS.

To build a tube amp with the level of reserve power and regulation that a Cherry amp has it would have to be the size of a small refrigerator. It would also have SIGNIFICANTLY more noise issues just due to the size and distance the parts have to be away from each other.

I've spoken with Tommy at length about the technology in his Cherry amps. Though he won't give away all of his secrets he did confide in me some of the tricks he used in his power supply.

Being an electronics professional, I realized that much of the SOPHISTICATION that I heard in the Cherry amps comes from this power supply.

Pick up a Nu Force, Bel Canto, or one of the other "who's who" digital amps and then pick up a Cherry...when you feel the difference in the WEIGHT you will have NO DOUBT was to why the Cherry amp sounds more sophisticated and musical.

~Benjamin