perpetual technologies p3a modwright level 1

Rocket

perpetual technologies p3a modwright level 1
« on: 26 Jul 2003, 01:41 am »
hi guys,

i bought a pt dac about 1 year ago and ever since i have been considering having dan upgrade the dac for me.

anyway a few weeks ago i was offered a p3a and power supply at a very good price, which i couldn't refuse.  i bought the dac and power supply and received it in the mail last monday.

the p3a is modwright level 1 but with the more expensive opa 627bp's opamps included.

i had a listen to my system last night with the new dac and it has taken my system to another level higher.  all of the cd's i played last night were improved sonically, including mid fi recordings (ie inxs greatest hits, i like that cd).  in fact with the mods i've done to my aksa amp and now the p3a, my system is sounding very analogue.

the improvements over a stock standard p3a are considerable.  to be honest my modded pioneer pds 507 (modified clock and a couple of other mods) was a touch less resolving than my stock p3a (it was hard to pick the differences).

with the p3a modwright in my system the comparison to the cdp are now night and day and it is easy to hear the improvements.  i think that dan's mods are excellent value.

i will be buying something from his company eventually, probably upgrade the p3a to level 2 later this year.

regards

rocket

modwright

Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2003, 04:12 am »
Hi Rod, thanks for the post and positive feedback.

Something that might interest you, is a tube linestage that we are working on right now.  It is a simple linestage with two inputs, a quality volume pot and Class A performance.

The design is pure Class A, zero feedback, with excellent bandwidth.  It is similar to the tube analog stage that we have been implementing in a number of different players, and will offer a tube option for those who don't have tubes in their source gear to start with.

I expect to debut it at VSAC in October in WA, and will be offering excellent introductory pricing.

Target Retail for the product is $800.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Dan W.

audiojerry

Re: Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2003, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: modwright

Something that might interest you, is a tube linestage that we are working on right now.  It is a simple linestage with two inputs, a quality volume pot and Class A performance.

Remote? (please say yes)

modwright

Remote?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2003, 09:03 pm »
Ah...the remote :).  It is something that I am definitely looking at.  I would like to be able to offer a basic motorized volume control for the Basic and SE unit and hopefully a remote-controlled stepped attenuator design for the Full Preamp - est. $2k-$3k.

Dan

David Millman

Re: PT-P3A/Modwright
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2003, 02:05 pm »
Hi,

Congratulations - a P3A with ModWright mods is a wonderful thing.  I have Dan's Level II mods and simply love this DAC.  Or course, I wish that Perp. Tech would get it together and do something to make me think this isn't an orhpaned product, but at least Dan has taken it further.

For what it's worth, I had Dan mod an MSB Link Dac II, which is what rekindled my interest in finer sound after a dormant period, and I also had him mod a Pioneer DVD-434, which I use as a transport.   Just recently, he rewired my PS Audio HCA-2 and added bybees, and I'm sure I'll think of some other way to do business with Dan soon.  

Truly a joy - great work, great communication, great service.

David.

Rocket

hi
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2003, 02:48 am »
hi david,

i had been thinking of having dan upgrade my p3a for me when someone in melbourne offered his plus the monolithic powersupply for a price i couldn't refuse.

i'm thinking of having dan mod a transport for me from the us and just using a step down transformer for the unit (240v here in perth).

did you notice much of an improvement when using a modwright transport?

i have to replace me cdp as it only uses toslink out and i want to buy the p1a for socs use.

regards

rocket

David Millman

Re: Modded Transports
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2003, 03:22 am »
That's a good question.  Here's my very limited experience:  when ever I get a new piece of gear, it comes to the office first, where I can break it in and figure out how an opportune moment to take it home.  So, when the ModWright modded DVD-434 arrived, I happened to be using an AMC CDP feeding a stock ART D/IO DAC.  The difference in sound was outrageous.  I mean, a quantum leap forward.

At home I was using a Rotel CDP (circa 1995) to feed the P-3A, and honestly, the difference wasn't huge.  But make no mistake, the modded P-3A was substantially better than the D/IO (I haven't heard the modded versions of these, but they certainly have their partisans).

I chalked this up to system synergy, and the probability that the D/IO just needed a better transport to get somewhere special.  The P-3A just seems to start out much further ahead, so the transport didn't add as much.

One way or the other, I'd rather have all my gear get the ModWright touch.  It means that I don't have to worry about getting max performance from a particular piece of gear.

David.