Capital Audiofest 2022 - comments and reviews

jsalk

Capital Audiofest 2022 - comments and reviews
« on: 29 Nov 2022, 07:04 pm »
Here are some recent comments about our room 512 with McGary Audio at the recent Capital Audiofest...

"Mike McGary and Jim Salk teamed up once again for this outstanding room. The Salk BePure3 speaker ($20k, starting price) was a modern take on the Wilson Watt/Puppy and early VonSchweikert designs with separate cabinets for the woofers. Not only did it sound better than those earlier speakers, but it also looked a lot nicer than them, too.

The butterfly wood veneer on the sides of the speakers, stained in grey, looked stunning in combination with the painted front baffles. Also noted were serious constrained-layer damping footers between the modules—something that I had suggested to Albert Von Schweikert back in the day. I've heard numerous presentations with Salk speakers over the past handful of years, including another at this show, and BePure3 is the best one yet. It is very competitive in its price range, both acoustically and aesthetically."

- Rick Becker
Enjoy the Music.com

"The Salk Sound room was featuring the slightly imposing Salk BePure3 3-way floor-standing loudspeakers. Salk loudspeakers are known for their impeccable wood finishing, and these were no exception, showing off a gorgeous and vivid grain pattern. The speakers start at $19,995 for the pair and use a Satori Beryllium tweeter along with a 6.5” midrange driver and 8” woofer made by Purifi Audio. Impressive and impactful sounding room."

- Carlo Lo Raso and Craig Chase
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

"This is the point where I realize I would be a terrible audio reviewer because this too sounds awesome. The system really charges the room and makes the music very tactile. Mids and highs sound right and no hint of brightness or fatigue
I returned to this room twice more and it proved to be my favorite passive speakers I heard at CAF."

- TheFrator
Audio Science Review

"Outstanding. Tonally neutral with exceptionally articulate bass.  At $20-25K (depending on finish) the most expensive speaker he's ever sold. Salk was vaguely apologetic about this - Such a decent guy."

- Andrew Quint
Audiophile Style

"While these two manufacturers have always presented very synergistically, with a consistently strong balance of naturalness, honest tonality, great dynamics, and good resolution, this year, the products they have chosen to introduce not only represent a major step up, but beside retaining all their trademark tonality and neutrality, they have realized huge gains in both the resolution and transparency departments, as well as in image focus and staging specificity.

I know they both thought it risky to make such a bold move into these price points, but I'm "hear" to bear witness that you have both hit it out of the park with these new products. The Salk BePure 3 speaker, the McGary SPA1 line stage, and the MA1 mono amplifiers, all establish remarkable new achievements and benchmarks for your work, and for products of commensurate price and class... WELL DONE!"

- Greg Weaver
The Audio Analyist

Thanks, all, for the kind words.  Much apprecaited.

- Jim

TKonrad.NOLA

Re: Capital Audiofest 2022 - comments and reviews
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2022, 12:43 am »
Congrats on the glowing reviews.  They are truly beautiful.  I am still enjoying my BePure 2s and couldn't look at the 3s for too long because I would start getting ideas.