Aim High with Super Tweeters

Early B.

Aim High with Super Tweeters
« on: 19 May 2022, 12:05 pm »
For years, I've been wanting to experiment with super tweeters, but knew they weren't well-received among audiophiles, and for good reason. You just can't plop a set of super tweeters on top of your speakers and expect them to sound good. They require simple crossovers tweaked for your taste. I purchased a pair of Fostex T96A super tweeters and followed this guy on YouTube who measured them and came up with the values for the capacitor and inductor:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ieT0shO-w&t=665s

This is a game-changer. There's a wonderful sparkle that was missing in my music and these super tweeters bring it in spades. The music floats, there's more attention paid to the singers (the accompaniment seemingly drifts to the background), and the detail in the highs is intense without being overly bright. Basically, there's more music on every CD I've never heard before. Lots of placement options to get the sound you want, and you can tweak the crossover endlessly.

A good super tweeter setup is analogous to the improvement gained by adding a subwoofer to fill in the low notes. I'm still experimenting with my temporary setup. I'll try adding some resistors to play around with loudness, but once I'm done, I suspect that super tweeters will be an essential part of my setup going forward. Of course, I'm open to any ideas or suggestions you may have as I continue down this road...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Aim High with Super Tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2022, 01:58 pm »
I run extended range drivers and Duke LeJeune suggested adding "Late Ceiling Splash" tweeters (just $20 Dayton Audio 1 1/8 inch soft domes with a 1.0 uF cap).  The tweeters are positioned on the floor directly behind the loudspeakers and pointing straight up.  They add treble and enlarge the sound stage.  Just a different approach to adding tweeters.

Early B.

Re: Aim High with Super Tweeters
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2022, 02:34 pm »
I run extended range drivers and Duke LeJeune suggested adding "Late Ceiling Splash" tweeters (just $20 Dayton Audio 1 1/8 inch soft domes with a 1.0 uF cap).  The tweeters are positioned on the floor directly behind the loudspeakers and pointing straight up.  They add treble and enlarge the sound stage.  Just a different approach to adding tweeters.

Excellent approach!!!  In fact, I use a pair of Duke's late ceiling splash speakers. I really wish more audiophiles would do that. It's a low-cost, passive approach to achieving significantly better sound.