Spendor A2 speakers sound like…?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Spendor A2 speakers sound like…?
« on: 18 May 2022, 08:28 pm »
If you’ve heard the Spendor A2 speakers, how would you describe their sound?

Thanks 🙏.

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Spendor A2 speakers sound like…?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2022, 03:08 pm »
I've heard short floor standers like these and IMO their too low unless you're listening from a bean bag chair.  They can also get "lost" behind conventional living room furniture.  And am not impressed with the stated 85 dB/w/m efficiency.  Perhaps best suited for hobbit homes.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Spendor A2 speakers sound like…?
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2022, 03:40 pm »
Good morning, JLM.

Thank you for taking pity on me and being the first to respond.  :lol:

Your comments are spot on with what I heard in a <very> recent DAC audition. I was given a choice of three unfamiliar speakers to use for the audition, and I chose the diminutive A2 speakers. [Why Spendor doesn't promote them as standmount speakers is a mystery to me.] I'd guessed that their sound might be closer to either of my monitors' sounds than the other two speakers, so I chose them.

As the audition began, I was seated on a sofa. It took a few seconds for the speakers' size to register on my brain. The tweeters were a solid 18" below my ears! I <almost sheepishly> slid down to the floor in order to get my head closer to - though still higher than - the tweeter height.

The entire system was new to me, so I cannot know how much of what I heard was due to the speakers, the DAC, or the various other gear. However, I was able to label the sound as 'mostly warm' with a slight but persistent sibilance that refused to go away. The A2s would probably be at home in a small bedroom or office.

Michael