Stream9 network issue

markmuse

Stream9 network issue
« on: 21 Apr 2022, 03:08 pm »
I hope I can describe the problem accurately. I have a DSL modem and a Netgear Nighthawk router connected to the modem via ethernet. I have learned that the router is restricting bandwidth to attached devices, so I ran a second ethernet cable directly from the modem to the Stream9 to get full bandwidth. But for a number of reasons I have to use WiFi on the router, not the modem (can't have WiFi active on both at the same time). So my iPad and the NuPrime software can't see the Stream9 to control it, apparently because this situation appears as two separate networks.

Surely there is a way around this by changing network settings, but I am not a geek and need help!

rustydoglim

Re: Stream9 network issue
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2022, 06:07 pm »
Networking 101 - Your ISP either provide your home's public network address with a fixed or dynamic IP.  But your home network devices also need to be assigned IP addresses (typically 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx).  So there is a software called DHCP inside your router that does this task. Your modem is unlikely to have a DHCP (if it is a fibre optic cable box).

What to do? Check that you have a state of the art router.  It should come with intrusion protection, gigabit bandwidth, and several ethernet RJ45 ports.  Check that the bandwidth throttling is turned off for your home network (you can later configure it to give your audio devices priority). If you have a household that play games and stream movies while you are also playing music, get a network switch and connect all your audio devices to it, configure the router to give it the highest priority.

markmuse

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2022, 11:43 am »
This is not particularly useful information. Reread the original post.

Does anyone have helpful info?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:13 pm »
Hi.

I understand that you stated the router restricts bandwidth to attached devices. Have you actually tried attaching your Stream9 to the router in order to determine if there is enough bandwidth to stream your desired content?

Michael

giordy60

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2022, 05:13 pm »
@markmuse
I imagine that on iapd you are using the wifi that generates the netgear to which stream9 is connected (always in wifi) .... and the netgear connected by cable to the DSL modem
and in any case DSL may (I repeat may) not have enough bandwidth for streaming management

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2022, 11:34 am »
I have learned that the router is restricting bandwidth to attached devices

Why would the router do that? This is the source of your problem, fix this by looking through all the settings in the router.
An alternative is to connect another WiFi router to the cable modem so that you have a subnet with WiFi. But that's unnecessary, you should fix your router.

markmuse

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2022, 02:37 pm »
Thanks all.
It appears that QoS in the router was the problem. Its attempts to manage and prioritize data streams was the likely culprit. In any event I ditched the Netgear router with everything now hitting the modem router.
By the way I am not using WiFi for any of the actual music or TV data streams, only for iPad for controlling them.

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2022, 05:42 am »
You should be able to turn off QoS in your Netgear router, seems that you have a good router. 
Check this post from Tom's Guide (one of my favourite sites) about Netgear QoS problem and how to turn it off:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-router-disable-qos,news-27675.html